Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-31-2013, 12:23 AM
AceBeto's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 435
AceBeto is on a distinguished road
New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

Hello,

Im new to these forums so Hello everyone. Anyways, I currently have a GC Limited '14 and would like to know if its possible to get the srt8 headlights on my car. Also how much would it cost roughly if done at the dealer.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 AM
FryingPan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 580
FryingPan has a brilliant future
Garage
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

We're still trying to figure this out. The wiring harnesses are definitely different, but nobody has been able to determine if they can be adapted yet.

I've asked my dealer and they've got no idea if it can be done either.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 AM
TheSiltSurfer's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Durango Colorado
Posts: 263
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1080
TheSiltSurfer is on a distinguished road

This might help
__________________
"Infinite Patience Produces Immediate Results"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 AM
AceBeto's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 435
AceBeto is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

I guess imma head to my dealer soon and ask. Those ugly yellow projectors that came with the car make it look so ugly imo. I'm willing to pay 1k+ for those lights too. I will post pics if it works out. Thanks
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 187
Thanks: 9
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 992
Dark_Shadow_GC has a reputation beyond reputeDark_Shadow_GC has a reputation beyond reputeDark_Shadow_GC has a reputation beyond reputeDark_Shadow_GC has a reputation beyond reputeDark_Shadow_GC has a reputation beyond reputeDark_Shadow_GC has a reputation beyond reputeDark_Shadow_GC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceBeto View Post
I guess imma head to my dealer soon and ask. Those ugly yellow projectors that came with the car make it look so ugly imo. I'm willing to pay 1k+ for those lights too. I will post pics if it works out. Thanks
I swapped out the overland headlights with the SRT ones on mine. You can take a look at this thread to see pics.

Dark Shadow. My 2014 Overland.

The SRT lights look way better IMO.

You can also look at installing HID's on what you have. That will give you the more "upscale" look and feel to it. And you wont have the yellow light color.
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4
with Advanced Tech Group in Max Steel/Indigo Blue & Jeep Brown
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2013, 09:03 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Boston area
Posts: 165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1401
David_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

I also would like to change out the headlights for the Jeep HID headlights, I just couldn't justify the extra $4K for the luxury group just for that one feature (didn't want/need the other features in that group).

I read in another thread that the HID headlights have added harness adapters and added logic in one of the computer modules. I'm guessing its to run the steering directional motors and the automatic leveling mechanism.

Some people have installed HID adapter kits. From what I have read, though, they are illegal even though most people don't get stopped for it. My state, Massachusetts, is cracking down on them and is forcing people to remove them when they get their car inspected. There are very good reasons for this. Most people don't do it right and the headlights are blinding to other drivers at night.

I've ordered some OSRAM nightbreaker bulbs. They are supposed to be a bit whiter and throw more light. They aren't going to be anywhere near as good as HIDs, but they'll do for a while until someone can figure out how to do it legally.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-02-2013, 11:09 AM
FryingPan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 580
FryingPan has a brilliant future
Garage
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hart View Post
I also would like to change out the headlights for the Jeep HID headlights, I just couldn't justify the extra $4K for the luxury group just for that one feature (didn't want/need the other features in that group).

I read in another thread that the HID headlights have added harness adapters and added logic in one of the computer modules. I'm guessing its to run the steering directional motors and the automatic leveling mechanism.

Some people have installed HID adapter kits. From what I have read, though, they are illegal even though most people don't get stopped for it. My state, Massachusetts, is cracking down on them and is forcing people to remove them when they get their car inspected. There are very good reasons for this. Most people don't do it right and the headlights are blinding to other drivers at night.

I've ordered some OSRAM nightbreaker bulbs. They are supposed to be a bit whiter and throw more light. They aren't going to be anywhere near as good as HIDs, but they'll do for a while until someone can figure out how to do it legally.
In a projector type housing, aftermarket HIDs will keep the same lighting pattern as the stock halogens, but just be brighter and whiter. Unless they know exactly what they're looking for, nobody should be able to tell if they're aftermarket or OEM.

The problem comes from when people install HID bulbs in reflector-type housings and then they get light spilling everywhere and potentially being a blinding hazard to other drivers.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FryingPan For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Boston area
Posts: 165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1401
David_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingPan View Post
In a projector type housing, aftermarket HIDs will keep the same lighting pattern as the stock halogens, but just be brighter and whiter. Unless they know exactly what they're looking for, nobody should be able to tell if they're aftermarket or OEM.

The problem comes from when people install HID bulbs in reflector-type housings and then they get light spilling everywhere and potentially being a blinding hazard to other drivers.
Light spillage exists even with Halogen projectors, though not as bad as with reflectors and no, they won't keep the same light pattern. The problem, as I understand it, is that Halogen bulbs and HID bulbs have different light patterns. You need a specifically designed projector housing for HIDs to shape the light properly.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Personally, I plan on waiting to see if someone can come out with a kit to either use the factory HID lights or has a complete headlight replacement option. Until then, I'll live with the Halogens.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-02-2013, 03:38 PM
slawek65's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1512
slawek65 is on a distinguished road
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

Halogen projectors and hid projectors are not the same !!!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cicero, NY
Posts: 517
Thanks: 70
Thanked 34 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1544009
CNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond reputeCNY_WK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryingPan View Post
In a projector type housing, aftermarket HIDs will keep the same lighting pattern as the stock halogens, but just be brighter and whiter. Unless they know exactly what they're looking for, nobody should be able to tell if they're aftermarket or OEM.

The problem comes from when people install HID bulbs in reflector-type housings and then they get light spilling everywhere and potentially being a blinding hazard to other drivers.
This is why I enjoy the 600W extra on my trucks light bar. They blind me...I blind them.
__________________
In the Garage: 2014 JGC Overland - Deep Cherry Red - ATG

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-03-2013, 09:49 AM
GCLimited's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 920
Thanks: 0
Thanked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 3512
GCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond reputeGCLimited has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

I got rid of the yellow light coming from my headlights & fog lights by just replacing the halogen bulbs with better ones.
__________________
Still waiting for the next V6 transmission update from Chrysler!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM
FryingPan's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 82
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 580
FryingPan has a brilliant future
Garage
Re: New to the forum - Quick Question about Headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hart View Post
Light spillage exists even with Halogen projectors, though not as bad as with reflectors and no, they won't keep the same light pattern. The problem, as I understand it, is that Halogen bulbs and HID bulbs have different light patterns. You need a specifically designed projector housing for HIDs to shape the light properly.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

Personally, I plan on waiting to see if someone can come out with a kit to either use the factory HID lights or has a complete headlight replacement option. Until then, I'll live with the Halogens.
As much as I can appreciate an extremely verbose technical document put together by someone who is much more of an expert than I in the nuances of the technology, I feel that the difference in the actual pattern in the GC projectors is negligible at most based on my experience and observation alone. I'd see a real problem in this particular application if there was light being thrown all over the place, but the fact of the matter is that it's all going where it needs to go.

For where I live, I went with an aftermarket HID kit for the increased light output over the almost dim H11 halogens. Will I change to a dedicated housing once someone's figured out how to make it happen? Of course, but for now the aftermarket kit is working just fine and with minimal to no drawbacks.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick question ONEbadHEEPtruck Grand Cherokee - WK 11 02-01-2012 10:00 PM
Quick question Unholyskorn86 Grand Cherokee - WK 21 10-11-2011 02:15 PM
Quick Question Nbtstatic Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 04-07-2011 07:45 AM
Quick question! Beepatajeep Wheels/Tires/Brakes 1 07-24-2010 11:52 PM
Quick question!! 99limited Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 8 01-05-2010 08:32 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community