Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 10-18-2013, 05:13 PM
BF07's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1013
BF07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Were they "whiter" than your stock bulbs? Still yellowish?
From the sounds of it your main concern is the color, correct? If so, how much are you looking to pay?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 803
tratpop is on a distinguished road
They weren't a whole lot "whiter" but put off more light. Again I ended up adding a set of driving lights that I could aim farther down the road, and not be in other driver's eyes too much.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-20-2013, 12:44 PM
jeelo's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 128
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 2249
jeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond reputejeelo has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
What is the benefit of the H9 vs. H11... just more power/brighter?

In your pic against the garage door, they look almost the same. What is the dif in real life?
In my original post I said that I should have parked further from the wall to show a better representation. The sample on the right was a silverstar H11 and the left was a oem Osram H9. I can tell in my pic the H9 bulb was brighter.

It's hard to show it online here but if I had to guess the light output of the H9 bulbs over the standard H11 bulb was probably 30-40% greater. It's almost as if my peripheral areas of view have gotten much brighter as well. The H9 bulbs yes are running at 65w and are much brighter. There've been many reviews online mainly the Subie forums. These are proven to be a much better alternative then the "fancy/white light" bulbs
__________________
'12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X Pentastar
'08 Jeep Patriot North Edition FDI 4x4
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-24-2013, 11:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1098
turbospartan is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF07 View Post
From the sounds of it your main concern is the color, correct? If so, how much are you looking to pay?

I'm sort of in the middle. I will say the stock Halogens left me a little leery at first, when I was driving in the dark in the mountains. With my Audi, I could see the white line on the road like a half mile away. With the Jeep... it feels like I can only see about 100' ahead of me, at most. So brightness is an issue there, but it was never really to the point that I was like "I am gonna crash if I don't have brighter lights".

The color is the other issue, in that the yellowish tint on my stock headlights just makes me want to puke. I know it shouldn't really matter, but I'd prefer to change the the color by a simple bulb change. It doesn't seem like that is very realistic, though.

Seeing WAtaco's HID install thread, where his passenger light won't work - that is exactly what I DO NOT want. I don't want to be dicking around with the lights all the time, driving with only 1 headlight, flickering, codes on the dash, etc.

I don't mind spending money (not gonna drop $1000 to get SRT8 lights, though)... but I also don't want to spend $60 on a pair of aftermarket lights that only last 12 months and then need to be replaced again, or spend money on the lights that are 0.000001% "whiter" than the current setup.

I see some photos online where the Silverstars or the Osram Night Breakers look white, but without seeing them in real life compared to the stock bulbs... I don't know if it is even worth the $ and limited amount of time they work before they burn out.

Truthfully, I don't think Halogen bulbs are the answer but I'm not interested in chopping up my current lights or putting in a half-ass system. I miss the pure white and perfectly straight cutoff from my Audi, but I'm not looking to spend a large amount of time/money to get to that point.

Here is a link where a guy with a Camry compares some XenonDepot setups, including Osram Night Breaker Plus fogs, a phillips 4300k HID kit, and another 6200k kit. 6200k is way too blue for what I want. 4300k is what I want in color.

Xtreme HID Kit and Osram Night Breaker Plus Review for a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid KB Car Blog KB Car Blog
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5364
WATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
I'm sort of in the middle. I will say the stock Halogens left me a little leery at first, when I was driving in the dark in the mountains. With my Audi, I could see the white line on the road like a half mile away. With the Jeep... it feels like I can only see about 100' ahead of me, at most. So brightness is an issue there, but it was never really to the point that I was like "I am gonna crash if I don't have brighter lights".

The color is the other issue, in that the yellowish tint on my stock headlights just makes me want to puke. I know it shouldn't really matter, but I'd prefer to change the the color by a simple bulb change. It doesn't seem like that is very realistic, though.

Seeing WAtaco's HID install thread, where his passenger light won't work - that is exactly what I DO NOT want. I don't want to be dicking around with the lights all the time, driving with only 1 headlight, flickering, codes on the dash, etc.

I don't mind spending money (not gonna drop $1000 to get SRT8 lights, though)... but I also don't want to spend $60 on a pair of aftermarket lights that only last 12 months and then need to be replaced again, or spend money on the lights that are 0.000001% "whiter" than the current setup.

I see some photos online where the Silverstars or the Osram Night Breakers look white, but without seeing them in real life compared to the stock bulbs... I don't know if it is even worth the $ and limited amount of time they work before they burn out.

Truthfully, I don't think Halogen bulbs are the answer but I'm not interested in chopping up my current lights or putting in a half-ass system. I miss the pure white and perfectly straight cutoff from my Audi, but I'm not looking to spend a large amount of time/money to get to that point.

Here is a link where a guy with a Camry compares some XenonDepot setups, including Osram Night Breaker Plus fogs, a phillips 4300k HID kit, and another 6200k kit. 6200k is way too blue for what I want. 4300k is what I want in color.

Xtreme HID Kit and Osram Night Breaker Plus Review for a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid KB Car Blog KB Car Blog

I've talked to TRS and they are telling me I have a bad capacitor and it sounds like a bad ground too, even though the ground shouldn't be an issue.... When I get my capacitor, I'll see if that changes anything.

The past couple of nights, if I turn on my headlights first, then start the car, both headlights seem to be working fine....

In the mean time, I've ordered an XD kit. I've personally talked to someone that has the same kit and it works perfectly in their JGC. I'm going to try using their harness first and see what happens. If everything works, I'll put the XD ballasts to the foglights.

IMO, from reading your post, I think 4300K might be a tad bit "yellow" for your liking. I would recommend 5000K if you want white lights. My TRS XB35 bulbs are 5000K and they are as white as can be. I had 4300K Philips on a previous kit and they had a yellowish look to them compared to the 5000K.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-24-2013, 03:07 PM
BF07's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1013
BF07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
I'm sort of in the middle. I will say the stock Halogens left me a little leery at first, when I was driving in the dark in the mountains. With my Audi, I could see the white line on the road like a half mile away. With the Jeep... it feels like I can only see about 100' ahead of me, at most. So brightness is an issue there, but it was never really to the point that I was like "I am gonna crash if I don't have brighter lights".

The color is the other issue, in that the yellowish tint on my stock headlights just makes me want to puke. I know it shouldn't really matter, but I'd prefer to change the the color by a simple bulb change. It doesn't seem like that is very realistic, though.

Seeing WAtaco's HID install thread, where his passenger light won't work - that is exactly what I DO NOT want. I don't want to be dicking around with the lights all the time, driving with only 1 headlight, flickering, codes on the dash, etc.

I don't mind spending money (not gonna drop $1000 to get SRT8 lights, though)... but I also don't want to spend $60 on a pair of aftermarket lights that only last 12 months and then need to be replaced again, or spend money on the lights that are 0.000001% "whiter" than the current setup.

I see some photos online where the Silverstars or the Osram Night Breakers look white, but without seeing them in real life compared to the stock bulbs... I don't know if it is even worth the $ and limited amount of time they work before they burn out.

Truthfully, I don't think Halogen bulbs are the answer but I'm not interested in chopping up my current lights or putting in a half-ass system. I miss the pure white and perfectly straight cutoff from my Audi, but I'm not looking to spend a large amount of time/money to get to that point.

Here is a link where a guy with a Camry compares some XenonDepot setups, including Osram Night Breaker Plus fogs, a phillips 4300k HID kit, and another 6200k kit. 6200k is way too blue for what I want. 4300k is what I want in color.

Xtreme HID Kit and Osram Night Breaker Plus Review for a 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid KB Car Blog KB Car Blog
I am pretty sure the Silverstar bulbs will be more than adequate for your tastes. On the package they even state the color temp and in my experience, aren't too far off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
I've talked to TRS and they are telling me I have a bad capacitor and it sounds like a bad ground too, even though the ground shouldn't be an issue.... When I get my capacitor, I'll see if that changes anything.
The ground you use could be a huge factor. In my last car, I had a poor ground for my headlight retrofit. The headlights worked, but not the high beams or any of my dash lights in the car. Not sure how it affected those, but it did. All came down to a poor ground.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 225
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 5364
WATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond reputeWATacoRider has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF07 View Post


The ground you use could be a huge factor. In my last car, I had a poor ground for my headlight retrofit. The headlights worked, but not the high beams or any of my dash lights in the car. Not sure how it affected those, but it did. All came down to a poor ground.

Interesting.

To me, the only questionable ground I have, is actually on the driver ballast. I don't remember if I got good metal or not. But that ballast seems to fire up the driver side bulb without issue... Only reason I ruled out that ground. Not to mention, I don't have access to that bolt without removing the damn bumper.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:25 PM
BF07's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1013
BF07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Have you tried cleaning/sanding down the metal you're using as a ground?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1098
turbospartan is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF07 View Post
I am pretty sure the Silverstar bulbs will be more than adequate for your tastes. On the package they even state the color temp and in my experience, aren't too far off.

Thanks for the numerous replies so far. Soo.... Silverstars or Osram Night Breakers? Or Phillips Crystalvision Ultra?

A XenonDepot post mentioned in the 2014 HID thread stated that the Osrams were the brightest halogens they've tested (didn't mention the color).

Here are the Night Breaker Unlimited (replaced the PLUS version): OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED H11 Headlight Bulbs (Twin Pack) | PowerBulbs

Says the color temp is around 4000k.


Here are the Phillips CrystalVision Ultras, if you scroll down to the first comment a guy even has a video of the new bulb compared to the stock bulb in his 2010? VW Jetta:

Philips H11 CrystalVision Ultra Headlight Bulb, Pack of 2 : Amazon.com : Automotive
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-25-2013, 02:44 PM
BF07's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 158
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1013
BF07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Non-HID Head Lights + Fogs

I know Silverstar has bulbs that will produce around a 5000k temp, which is more white than the Philips you have in the Amazon link. The only downside is longevity is decreased quite a bit with that specific bulb.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No Fogs w/Auto Head lights and wipers Matterhorn Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 6 01-17-2013 07:46 PM
No head lights echucabarry Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 8 08-09-2012 12:42 PM
New HID fogs infantry2124 Grand Cherokee - WK 11 07-03-2011 03:25 AM
New tail lights, fogs, and HID kit ordered SRTILL8 Visual Modifications 32 04-14-2010 06:35 PM
HID Fogs on a WJ 1054EDP Visual Modifications 7 07-09-2009 03:35 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community