Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 09-09-2015, 01:59 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 526
brettheido is on a distinguished road
Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

Has anyone painted their black fender and bumper trim to match their car... similar to the fenders on the 2014/15 overlands? I would love to have all of that black plastic-y stuff painted to match but I'm not sure if its doable? Wanted to find out if anyone had pictures before I approached a dealer about the possibility. Thanks

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-09-2015, 07:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 192
Thanks: 118
Thanked 44 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 1266
Platinum Al is on a distinguished road
Re: Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

I just did my fender well pieces myself. Clean with dawn detergent and a grey scotchbrite pad. Apply adhesion promoter. Apply high build primer. Wet sand primer with 400 or 600 grit paper. Check your work. Apply more primer or sand as needed to achieve a smooth finish. Apply paint. Go at least 3 coats. Apply gloss clear coat.. Reattach to vehicle. Crack open beer and enjoy your work.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Platinum Al For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 PM
CrimsonKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 381
Thanks: 25
Thanked 58 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 1047
CrimsonKing is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

I have a Limited and opted to not paint the plastic trim on the fender flares. I know a lot of people have painted the textured ones on the Laredo/Limited. I went to a few local shops that weren't overly keen on doing it. Now if that is because they didn't want to put in the work (clean, sand, prep, prime etc), or truly just thought it wouldn't come out good, I don't know. In any event, I purchased the Overland ones and am having those painted to color match - should be done this week.

I almost thought about getting them painted gloss black just to be different (along with the primed bumper parts I plan to eventually buy) - but opted for the white color match a la Altitude/Overland.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonKing For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 09-09-2015, 11:24 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 3
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Gezza is on a distinguished road
Re: Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

something I would like to have, I hate the look of the plastic around the wheel wells.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-10-2015, 12:59 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 526
brettheido is on a distinguished road
Re: Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
I have a Limited and opted to not paint the plastic trim on the fender flares. I know a lot of people have painted the textured ones on the Laredo/Limited. I went to a few local shops that weren't overly keen on doing it. Now if that is because they didn't want to put in the work (clean, sand, prep, prime etc), or truly just thought it wouldn't come out good, I don't know. In any event, I purchased the Overland ones and am having those painted to color match - should be done this week.

I almost thought about getting them painted gloss black just to be different (along with the primed bumper parts I plan to eventually buy) - but opted for the white color match a la Altitude/Overland.
Where did you buy yours Crimson? Did you just get the wheel flares? Or did you also get the rockers / front and rear lower fascia's? I have a 2013 Overland and I believe that the rockers and wheel flares will fit, but the fascias have changed i think.

Did you notice a big difference in material quality of the parts you purchased to have painted? Where did you buy? Care to share a link?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2015, 01:00 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 526
brettheido is on a distinguished road
Re: Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Al View Post
I just did my fender well pieces myself. Clean with dawn detergent and a grey scotchbrite pad. Apply adhesion promoter. Apply high build primer. Wet sand primer with 400 or 600 grit paper. Check your work. Apply more primer or sand as needed to achieve a smooth finish. Apply paint. Go at least 3 coats. Apply gloss clear coat.. Reattach to vehicle. Crack open beer and enjoy your work.
Care to share any photos of your handywork?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-10-2015, 06:23 PM
CrimsonKing's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 381
Thanks: 25
Thanked 58 Times in 48 Posts
Rep Power: 1047
CrimsonKing is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettheido View Post
Where did you buy yours Crimson? Did you just get the wheel flares? Or did you also get the rockers / front and rear lower fascia's? I have a 2013 Overland and I believe that the rockers and wheel flares will fit, but the fascias have changed i think.

Did you notice a big difference in material quality of the parts you purchased to have painted? Where did you buy? Care to share a link?

The parts Overland flares feel identical in build quality to the Limited/Laredo ones. Only difference are the Overland ones are smooth and not textured, thus painting them is easier as they are meant to be color matched to the body. Gotta call the shop tomorrow and see where they are, hoping to get them on this week-end.


I actually purchased them new from a member here who didn't end up using them. You can buy them at Paintable Wheel Flares from 2014-2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 Overland #WK2Flares-ship or use those part numbers and search for a bit cheaper. I did not purchase the front/rear yet. Still debating if I want those to color match - going to wait and see how the flares turn out.

This is copy/pasted from an older post, so no credit to me; but here are part #'s for all the flares, moldings:


2014 Overland Paintable Wheel Flares $281.12
5JQ75TZZAA Left Front Wheel Flare
5JQ76TZZAA Right Front Wheel Flare
5JQ77TZZAA Left Rear Door Wheel Flare
5JQ78TZZAA Right Rear Door Wheel Flare
5JQ79TZZAA Left Rear Quarter Panel Wheel Flare
5JQ80TZZAA Right Rear Quarter Panel Wheel Flare

2014 Overland Paintable Body Parts
1WL30TZZAC Front Lower Bumper Cover $237.60
1VQ68TZZAA Rear Lower Bumper Cover $188.10
5PU65TZZAB Left Rocker Molding $135.00
5PU66TZZAB Right Rocker Molding $115.20
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-17-2015, 12:45 PM
midsouthduckhunter's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 209
Thanks: 23
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 750
midsouthduckhunter is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Painting the black unpainted fender & bumper trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
I have a Limited and opted to not paint the plastic trim on the fender flares. I know a lot of people have painted the textured ones on the Laredo/Limited. I went to a few local shops that weren't overly keen on doing it. Now if that is because they didn't want to put in the work (clean, sand, prep, prime etc), or truly just thought it wouldn't come out good, I don't know. In any event, I purchased the Overland ones and am having those painted to color match - should be done this week.

I almost thought about getting them painted gloss black just to be different (along with the primed bumper parts I plan to eventually buy) - but opted for the white color match a la Altitude/Overland.
I too talked to a body shop about painting the trim as well and dude said the OEM went to a lot of trouble to develop that plastic which sheds grime, oil, grease etc. In turn, it doesn't take the paint long to flake off. I'm getting the guy to shoot Bushwacker flares to match my paint, so it's not like he didn't want to do the work. If I find out later it can be done, I'll cross that bridge...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting the fender flares and bumpers on a 14 limited 14GCL Interior/Exterior/Visual 24 09-26-2014 04:20 PM
painting Fender Flare...? meln13 Interior/Exterior/Visual 6 05-09-2014 12:38 AM
05 limited with unpainted rockers? 05wkguy Grand Cherokee - WK 7 08-31-2009 09:08 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.