Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE.. - Page 15 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #169  
Old 02-20-2016, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1890
Espngo is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

tuned, just wanna say thanks for the write up. I installed the OEM rails today on my '14 SRT. I'd say the hardest part for me was balancing 4 stacks of washers and making sure they are still align while sliding the rail over the front and back screw. Other than that, easy and solid as a rock.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #170  
Old 02-21-2016, 11:16 PM
tuned8e's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 441
Thanks: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 2180
tuned8e is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espngo View Post
tuned, just wanna say thanks for the write up. I installed the OEM rails today on my '14 SRT. I'd say the hardest part for me was balancing 4 stacks of washers and making sure they are still align while sliding the rail over the front and back screw. Other than that, easy and solid as a rock.
nice work. glad to see this write-up continues to help the community.



__________________
Ben // North Bay CA
12 WK2 Altitude
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks / Overland Roof Rails / Mopar Cross Bars / SRT Bixenon Headlights / AFE CAI / JW Speaker 6145 Fog Lights / JL Stealthbox
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 04-28-2016, 04:57 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
mrcanant is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

This is great information, I am looking to install the roof rail and cross bar for my 2015 altitude.

Has anybody tried any kayak carriers on the grand cherokee? I plan to buy a kayak (maybe 70lb) and that is why i want to get the roof racks. But thinking about the weight of the kayak and me being not tall, cartopping might be difficult for me alone, I am wondering if the thule slipstream would be a good idea but fear that the spoiler and antenna would be a problem that the carrier cannot extend enough, and i don't know if the slipstream could fit mopar crossbar or only the thule ones.

I am also thinking about the Seattle Sports Sherpak™ Boat Roller, or malone k rack to put on rear of roof, but i am concerned the height of these roller would not be enough to load kayak without scratching the spoiler.

If anybody have some experience with kayak loading please let me know, thanks!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #172  
Old 04-29-2016, 10:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 886
JohnnyGCALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcanant View Post
This is great information, I am looking to install the roof rail and cross bar for my 2015 altitude.

Has anybody tried any kayak carriers on the grand cherokee? I plan to buy a kayak (maybe 70lb) and that is why i want to get the roof racks. But thinking about the weight of the kayak and me being not tall, cartopping might be difficult for me alone, I am wondering if the thule slipstream would be a good idea but fear that the spoiler and antenna would be a problem that the carrier cannot extend enough, and i don't know if the slipstream could fit mopar crossbar or only the thule ones.

I am also thinking about the Seattle Sports Sherpak™ Boat Roller, or malone k rack to put on rear of roof, but i am concerned the height of these roller would not be enough to load kayak without scratching the spoiler.

If anybody have some experience with kayak loading please let me know, thanks!
I'm not sure what type of kayak you're thinking about, but at 70 lbs I'll assume it's long boat like a sea kayak or a creek boat.

Something to keep in mind is that the factory bright side rails are rated for loads up to 150 lbs (I think), but they only provide about a 30" spread between the crossbars front to back. If you were carrying a play boat you'd be OK, but for a long boat you might want to go with a custom Thule rail and cross bar set up so that you can spread out the cross bars further (50"+). I looked into this set up for mine, but decided against it at the time because of the need to drill holes in the roof.

I so wish that Jeep would come up with a good rack system. It's really frustrating to deal with this even though it's not that hard to do.

As for the loading problem. The GC is a fairly tall vehicle and I have found that installing some side steps / running boards is helpful when loading or washing the roof.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 04-29-2016, 11:35 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
mrcanant is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyGCALT View Post
I'm not sure what type of kayak you're thinking about, but at 70 lbs I'll assume it's long boat like a sea kayak or a creek boat.

Something to keep in mind is that the factory bright side rails are rated for loads up to 150 lbs (I think), but they only provide about a 30" spread between the crossbars front to back. If you were carrying a play boat you'd be OK, but for a long boat you might want to go with a custom Thule rail and cross bar set up so that you can spread out the cross bars further (50"+). I looked into this set up for mine, but decided against it at the time because of the need to drill holes in the roof.

I so wish that Jeep would come up with a good rack system. It's really frustrating to deal with this even though it's not that hard to do.

As for the loading problem. The GC is a fairly tall vehicle and I have found that installing some side steps / running boards is helpful when loading or washing the roof.
Thanks for your reply! I am thinking about a 10' or 12' fishing kayak, it is wide so it is heavy, but not too long. I guess the spread between the crossbars should be ok, just worried about how i load from the rear by myself.

As for the height, i think i will get a box or something to use when loading/unloading.

I wouldn't drill holes on the roof either. Did you consider maybe just get a trailer for your long boat? Or add something to the receiver hitch like 'Cabela's Canoe Loader and Rack'?
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 8
Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 886
JohnnyGCALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcanant View Post
Thanks for your reply! I am thinking about a 10' or 12' fishing kayak, it is wide so it is heavy, but not too long. I guess the spread between the crossbars should be ok, just worried about how i load from the rear by myself.

As for the height, i think i will get a box or something to use when loading/unloading.

I wouldn't drill holes on the roof either. Did you consider maybe just get a trailer for your long boat? Or add something to the receiver hitch like 'Cabela's Canoe Loader and Rack'?
Sure. No problem. I certainly understand not wanting to drill holes in your new vehicle.

That is a pretty big boat to carry on a 30" wide rack for sure. If you paired the factory rack with the Cabela's Loader Rack I think it would give you the extra support to carry that long boat. As for loading on the roof you might want a cradle system that has a rolling type mechanism. The trailer would be worth considering as well, but trailers come with their own set of issues (storage, parking, etc.).

I used to have a couple play boats that were 5' - 7', but now just use the roof rack for skis and snowboards and it works pretty well for that. I still wish it was a little wider front to back though.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 06-03-2016, 02:35 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
mrcanant is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

So I successfully installed the side rails, yeah!

But I have some questions.
1. the front end of the rail slide in, but I couldn't use any washer on the stock bolt because the depth of the rail slot is shallow, but I am worried if the front end will pop up after some time due to the fact the diameter of the stock bolt is not wide enough.
2. I purchase M6 bolts to replace the middle four, but after some days of driving the bolt will get loose a little. I screwed down them once after that. Is there any way to keep them in place securely?

Now it is time to get the crossbars on!
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 06-06-2016, 05:39 AM
Ghost07's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: east hampton, New york
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1890
Ghost07 is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

The only thing I did its to buy 2 different screws with a flat head for the front so I could use the washers with, perfect fit


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 08-01-2016, 10:46 AM
New Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jfrisbee is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

Hey Guys,
After reading through this forum, I went ahead and purchased the side rails from Justfor Jeeps.com. When I started the installation process, following tuned8e's recommended method, I was having a difficult time getting the front clip to fit over my existing factory torx bolt. The bolt head is slightly rounded, and it doesn't fit into the clip. The bolt seems to be too small and too rounded so that when I slid the housing into place, it didn't sit flush on my roof, or it would just pop off. The back of the housing fits great, it's just the front clip that doesn't seem to hold the housing in place. Tuned8e, it sounds like you used all the original hardware for your install. Did you run into this problem with the front clip at all? Did you grind the bolt head down at all to fit into the clip, or use a washer to hold down the clip? I'm new to the forum, so I can't attach a picture yet, but I will try again once I make a couple more posts.
Any help is really appreciated!
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 08-01-2016, 11:13 AM
tuned8e's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 441
Thanks: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 2180
tuned8e is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

I didn't modify the hardware at all. You simply have to try different bolt heights until that plastic cover sits as close as you can get it. It's not going to be perfect but you should be able to get it damn near close.
__________________
Ben // North Bay CA
12 WK2 Altitude
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks / Overland Roof Rails / Mopar Cross Bars / SRT Bixenon Headlights / AFE CAI / JW Speaker 6145 Fog Lights / JL Stealthbox
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 08-01-2016, 11:28 AM
New Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
jfrisbee is on a distinguished road
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost07 View Post
The only thing I did its to buy 2 different screws with a flat head for the front so I could use the washers with, perfect fit


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Ghost07, do you know what size screws & washers you got for the front? I'd like to do the same.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 08-01-2016, 11:30 AM
tuned8e's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Marin County, CA
Posts: 441
Thanks: 32
Thanked 40 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 2180
tuned8e is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Side Roof Rack Rails - NEED HELP PLEASE..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrisbee View Post
Ghost07, do you know what size screws & washers you got for the front? I'd like to do the same.

Thanks!
Not necessary man. Mine have been like this for years now they sit flush, you might be able to get three sheets of paper between the body and the plastic that's it.
__________________
Ben // North Bay CA
12 WK2 Altitude
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks / Overland Roof Rails / Mopar Cross Bars / SRT Bixenon Headlights / AFE CAI / JW Speaker 6145 Fog Lights / JL Stealthbox
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rack Attack Rails & Yakima Roof Rack - Pics moosehead Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 39 09-20-2013 06:12 PM
Roof rack rails muzichio Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 12 10-18-2010 06:12 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.