WK2 Nudge Bar Project - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-13-2015, 02:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 58
Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 1139
matt-chops has a reputation beyond reputematt-chops has a reputation beyond reputematt-chops has a reputation beyond reputematt-chops has a reputation beyond repute
WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Hey guys, I thought I might share a bit of a project I'm working on at the moment.

As I live in rural New South Wales, Australia, I need spotlights... big ones—as well as an aerial for boosted mobile reception. The issue I've found with this is a lack of aesthetically pleasing mounting options for the front end of the WK2. Plenty of guys around here have bullbars but given how nice the front of the WK2 looks I'm not so keen on uglifying it. What I need is a really nice looking nudge bar with compatible tow hooks and no change in approach angle.

Now my wife calls it being a bit anal, but I'm very specific on the way I think products should be designed to reach a harmony between form and function. That's why after hours staring at the front of my Jeep, measurements upon measurements, a good twenty or more iterations and countless tweaks to my design in SolidWorks I have come up with the design sample rendered below.

My self-imposed design and functionality requirements were as follows:
- The bar should protrude from the lower grille area to appear integrated in the design of the Jeep
- It should be compatible with a tow hook in each mounting assembly
- There should be no change to the approach angle while offroading
- I should be able to mount a combination of accessories on the bar with the ability for these to change (2 or 3 spotlights, or a light bar with room for an aerial on each side)
- Wiring for these accessories should be able to be run inside the bar for a completely flush and seamless appearance
- The top of the bar should be no higher than the lower edge of the grille rings to suit the existing lines of the Jeep
- No mounting hardware should be visible when the bar is fitted

So that was the challenge I set myself—and to be honest, I'm pretty happy with the progress I have made.

I am currently in the process of getting some quotes to have it fabricated from 304 Stainless Tube for the bar and an appropriate steel plate for the mounting brackets. The plan is to have it all powdercoated in black, possibly with the recovery points in red or orange.

I have run numerous simulated stress tests in Solidworks well over any possible load that could be put through them in a sensible recovery scenario all with very encouraging outcomes.

I'd love some feedback on my design—I'll do a digital mockup of how it should look on the Jeep in the coming days to demonstrate how it meets all of my self-imposed design criteria and I'll be sure to post updates as I go through the process of having it fabricated and fit it up to the Jeep.

wk2-nudge-bar-project.jpg

Cheers guys.

Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to matt-chops For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-13-2015, 05:04 AM
Benn0's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,181
Thanks: 116
Thanked 363 Times in 279 Posts
Rep Power: 18985
Benn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Looks good, I like the nudge bar to be lower set, only problem is with it interfering with the parking sensors.

I'm still playing with the idea of a pre-runner style bar and integrated skid plate to replace the lower fascia/airdam. But I'm concerned about keeping the looks......
__________________
MY14 Grand Cherokee LTD CRD - ORA2 & QL | Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims & Rock Rails | Chief Recovery Hooks & Sump Skid Plate | STMaxx 275/65R18
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 148
Thanks: 17
Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 996
Tillsy is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Have you see the nudge bar coming out soon from Chief Products?

It addresses almost everything you are after, except that yours entirely avoids covering the gorgeous 7 grille rings...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-13-2015, 07:34 AM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 3,966
Thanks: 147
Thanked 584 Times in 453 Posts
Rep Power: 7664
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Looks very nice.
__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Hutch801's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 827
Thanks: 120
Thanked 139 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 17544
Hutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Looks good so far, I am exactly the same can not find a bar I like? If TJM get their shit together and get the bar released I will more than likely buy this one and powder coat black.
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1439492586.201015.jpg


Hutch- 2014 GC Blackhawk CRD...Feel the Power...
__________________
Hutch: 2014 Grand Cherokee Blackhawk in Black of Course.....CRD Feel the Power..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2015, 10:42 PM
Benn0's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,181
Thanks: 116
Thanked 363 Times in 279 Posts
Rep Power: 18985
Benn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
Have you see the nudge bar coming out soon from Chief Products?

It addresses almost everything you are after, except that yours entirely avoids covering the gorgeous 7 grille rings...


I like Bills stuff, and I like a lot of the features on this bar, but it doesn't really meet the brief Matt chops has set. The mounting point, while clever, looks a bit disjointed. The bar appears to be hovering in space. The mounting hardware is visible, and it sits a bit too high. I think it had to sit high to avoid fouling the parking sensors.

I'd be interested in something that is a lot lower set and follows the lines of the fascia, like the bt-50 nudge bar. But then you lose a bit of approach.
__________________
MY14 Grand Cherokee LTD CRD - ORA2 & QL | Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims & Rock Rails | Chief Recovery Hooks & Sump Skid Plate | STMaxx 275/65R18
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-15-2015, 10:32 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 110
Thanks: 26
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 997
dpassons76 is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post


I like Bills stuff, and I like a lot of the features on this bar, but it doesn't really meet the brief Matt chops has set. The mounting point, while clever, looks a bit disjointed. The bar appears to be hovering in space. The mounting hardware is visible, and it sits a bit too high. I think it had to sit high to avoid fouling the parking sensors.

I'd be interested in something that is a lot lower set and follows the lines of the fascia, like the bt-50 nudge bar. But then you lose a bit of approach.
is this your jeep? what is the rim/ tire setup? love it especially with the matte black grille
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-15-2015, 06:15 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 311
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 1913
JoeD is a glorious beacon of light
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-chops View Post
Hey guys, I thought I might share a bit of a project I'm working on at the moment.

As I live in rural New South Wales, Australia, I need spotlights... big ones—as well as an aerial for boosted mobile reception. The issue I've found with this is a lack of aesthetically pleasing mounting options for the front end of the WK2. Plenty of guys around here have bullbars but given how nice the front of the WK2 looks I'm not so keen on uglifying it. What I need is a really nice looking nudge bar with compatible tow hooks and no change in approach angle.

Now my wife calls it being a bit anal, but I'm very specific on the way I think products should be designed to reach a harmony between form and function. That's why after hours staring at the front of my Jeep, measurements upon measurements, a good twenty or more iterations and countless tweaks to my design in SolidWorks I have come up with the design sample rendered below.

My self-imposed design and functionality requirements were as follows:
- The bar should protrude from the lower grille area to appear integrated in the design of the Jeep
- It should be compatible with a tow hook in each mounting assembly
- There should be no change to the approach angle while offroading
- I should be able to mount a combination of accessories on the bar with the ability for these to change (2 or 3 spotlights, or a light bar with room for an aerial on each side)
- Wiring for these accessories should be able to be run inside the bar for a completely flush and seamless appearance
- The top of the bar should be no higher than the lower edge of the grille rings to suit the existing lines of the Jeep
- No mounting hardware should be visible when the bar is fitted

So that was the challenge I set myself—and to be honest, I'm pretty happy with the progress I have made.

I am currently in the process of getting some quotes to have it fabricated from 304 Stainless Tube for the bar and an appropriate steel plate for the mounting brackets. The plan is to have it all powdercoated in black, possibly with the recovery points in red or orange.

I have run numerous simulated stress tests in Solidworks well over any possible load that could be put through them in a sensible recovery scenario all with very encouraging outcomes.

I'd love some feedback on my design—I'll do a digital mockup of how it should look on the Jeep in the coming days to demonstrate how it meets all of my self-imposed design criteria and I'll be sure to post updates as I go through the process of having it fabricated and fit it up to the Jeep.

Attachment 59275

Cheers guys.
Nice design.
__________________
2013 WK2 Limited 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 311
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 1913
JoeD is a glorious beacon of light
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post


I like Bills stuff, and I like a lot of the features on this bar, but it doesn't really meet the brief Matt chops has set. The mounting point, while clever, looks a bit disjointed. The bar appears to be hovering in space. The mounting hardware is visible, and it sits a bit too high. I think it had to sit high to avoid fouling the parking sensors.

I'd be interested in something that is a lot lower set and follows the lines of the fascia, like the bt-50 nudge bar. But then you lose a bit of approach.
Not a fan of the mounting of it.
__________________
2013 WK2 Limited 5.7
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Hutch801's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 827
Thanks: 120
Thanked 139 Times in 115 Posts
Rep Power: 17544
Hutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond reputeHutch801 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

X2 every thing else would have been good.


Hutch- 2014 GC Blackhawk CRD...Feel the Power...
__________________
Hutch: 2014 Grand Cherokee Blackhawk in Black of Course.....CRD Feel the Power..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Benn0's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,181
Thanks: 116
Thanked 363 Times in 279 Posts
Rep Power: 18985
Benn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpassons76 View Post
is this your jeep? what is the rim/ tire setup? love it especially with the matte black grille
Nah, that is Bill's from Chief Products.

His build says:
275/70R18 (33") Mickey Thompson MTZs
18" x 8" Mopar Off-Road wheels (82212154)
__________________
MY14 Grand Cherokee LTD CRD - ORA2 & QL | Mopar 18" Night Fever Rims & Rock Rails | Chief Recovery Hooks & Sump Skid Plate | STMaxx 275/65R18
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-16-2015, 10:28 PM
Todd3.6's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 849
Thanks: 5
Thanked 82 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 350800
Todd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond reputeTodd3.6 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 Nudge Bar Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-chops View Post
Hey guys, I thought I might share a bit of a project I'm working on at the moment.

As I live in rural New South Wales, Australia, I need spotlights... big ones—as well as an aerial for boosted mobile reception. The issue I've found with this is a lack of aesthetically pleasing mounting options for the front end of the WK2. Plenty of guys around here have bullbars but given how nice the front of the WK2 looks I'm not so keen on uglifying it. What I need is a really nice looking nudge bar with compatible tow hooks and no change in approach angle.

Now my wife calls it being a bit anal, but I'm very specific on the way I think products should be designed to reach a harmony between form and function. That's why after hours staring at the front of my Jeep, measurements upon measurements, a good twenty or more iterations and countless tweaks to my design in SolidWorks I have come up with the design sample rendered below.

My self-imposed design and functionality requirements were as follows:
- The bar should protrude from the lower grille area to appear integrated in the design of the Jeep
- It should be compatible with a tow hook in each mounting assembly
- There should be no change to the approach angle while offroading
- I should be able to mount a combination of accessories on the bar with the ability for these to change (2 or 3 spotlights, or a light bar with room for an aerial on each side)
- Wiring for these accessories should be able to be run inside the bar for a completely flush and seamless appearance
- The top of the bar should be no higher than the lower edge of the grille rings to suit the existing lines of the Jeep
- No mounting hardware should be visible when the bar is fitted

So that was the challenge I set myself—and to be honest, I'm pretty happy with the progress I have made.

I am currently in the process of getting some quotes to have it fabricated from 304 Stainless Tube for the bar and an appropriate steel plate for the mounting brackets. The plan is to have it all powdercoated in black, possibly with the recovery points in red or orange.

I have run numerous simulated stress tests in Solidworks well over any possible load that could be put through them in a sensible recovery scenario all with very encouraging outcomes.

I'd love some feedback on my design—I'll do a digital mockup of how it should look on the Jeep in the coming days to demonstrate how it meets all of my self-imposed design criteria and I'll be sure to post updates as I go through the process of having it fabricated and fit it up to the Jeep.

Cheers guys.
I think it looks f'ing great!

Any chance of sharing a full size old fashioned 3-view engineering drawing with the USA folks so we could see about getting one made over the pond?

(Sorry, my Aerospace engineering degree is from '92 when CAD/CAM was just getting started and I ended up in Information Technology not engineering so I'm not up to speed on CAD/CAM tech.)

I'd ask about making/shipping to the States, but the import taxes would probably kill the idea.

I don't have park sensors (or speed sensor), I just want something that would actually hold up to being nudged. Most of the stuff I've seen is a thin 5mm steel plate going out to a similar bar... No way that would hold up to someone backing into it... It would just bend back into the bumper and cause more damage.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Todd3.6 For This Useful Post:
Reply

Tags
wk2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WK2 Nudge Bar bmackin Off Road Modifications 46 11-08-2016 02:57 PM
WK2 nudge bar by chief products ScottiJT Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting 2 08-12-2015 10:05 PM
Nudge Bar Brackets Have FINALLY Arrived josh3008 Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 27 10-16-2012 11:34 PM
Nudge bar material josh3008 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 10-12-2011 05:10 AM
Nudge Bar Spotlight Mounts josh3008 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 10-04-2011 07:23 AM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.