XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 11-22-2015, 07:10 PM
subbie09's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4766
subbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunkd View Post
Oh good to know xenon depot includes gourmet rubber.

The GROMMET is far from weatherproof and easily allows dirt in even if drilled correctly. In the end the real issue is with how piss poor the factory halogen lights are on the Grand Cherokee. It's almost dangerous how crappy the light output is.

I guess only time will bring a true plug and play lighting solution for halogen JGC's.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

How? It has an inside gourmet and outside gourmet and you set the dust cap in between. Tight seal.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 11-22-2015, 07:12 PM
subbie09's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4766
subbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

I ran the Xtreme kit in my 2012 for 3.5 years with no moisture. I also ran an Xtreme kit in a Subaru for 4 years with no issues. That and where it sits, it's well protected from the elements.

Don't want to cause an argument just trying to state that not all is bad and that a forum is usually where you hear negative things and not positive ones. For your one negative there's 10 other who have had no issues.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 9
Thanked 199 Times in 170 Posts
Rep Power: 0
skunkd is on a distinguished road
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbie09 View Post
How? It has an inside gourmet and outside gourmet and you set the dust cap in between. Tight seal.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
The wires? There are holes for each and they move freely in and out as needed. Plenty of dust and moisture can enter through there especially if you drive off-road or on unfinished pavement often. it doesn't take much for moisture to build up overtime and fog your lenses from the inside.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #28  
Old 11-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Jeep_addicted's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Thomas US. Virgin islands
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 24
Thanked 135 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 1333346
Jeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Guys the bottom line is that 2015 are very finicky.

Whether you are using hid or LED you are using a lighting solution on a vehicle that has a monitoring system that is designed to look for specific conditions.

That condition is a 55 watt halogen bulb. That carries a certain amount of resistance and generates heat during operation.

Even though hid and LED are more efficient solutions for lighting you don't save on power consumption when you have to fool the monitoring circuit. This is because in some cause you have to add the load back to the circuit.


In the case of the 2015 just using a simple antiflicker capacitor is no longer enough like in the past with the 2011-2014.

The monitoring circuit if it does not see enough load with cut the power to the headlights and fog lights circuits thinking that the bulb is blown and therefore will reduce the electrical load on the system overall and cut power.

With a "running change" to the electrical in the second production year of a facelifted vehicle if makes it harder to predict that there would be issues when you use the 2014 as the benchmark only to find out that a minor change requires the use of an anti flicker and a relay harness in unison. As time progreases they may come up with less cumbersome ways to give the appear of load but for now we have to use the conventional ways.

Don't keep false hope that LEDS won't need external load stabilizes. If this was the case they would have devised a compact and self contained led unit already.

If we could disable the circuit monitoring then the additional boxes for tricking the nannies would not be needed.

We know you all are frustrated but Steve and the other guys at xenon depot are not at fault.

When selling retrofit parts for several different platforms certain difficulties only appear after you actually install the parts on the vehicle.
__________________
  • '12 Laredo X V6 Deep Cherry Dark/Mid Greystone, QT1
  • Outside: colormatched Altitude Grille, S Limited rear valance, Rear chrome trim Sharkfin, 20% tint, RFUK (built my own)
  • Inside: Alcantara steering wheel/shift knob,SRT dash trim, illuminated front scuff plates, stainless rear scuff plates, bright pedals, F/R footwell lights
  • Performance: OEM dual exhaust conversion, HD brakes, E-code SRT-8 projectors, JWS fogs
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeep_addicted For This Useful Post:
  #29  
Old 11-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 9
Thanked 199 Times in 170 Posts
Rep Power: 0
skunkd is on a distinguished road
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted View Post
Guys the bottom line is that 2015 are very finicky.

Whether you are using hid or LED you are using a lighting solution on a vehicle that has a monitoring system that is designed to look for specific conditions.

That condition is a 55 watt halogen bulb. That carries a certain amount of resistance and generates heat during operation.

Even though hid and LED are more efficient solutions for lighting you don't save on power consumption when you have to fool the monitoring circuit. This is because in some cause you have to add the load back to the circuit.


In the case of the 2015 just using a simple antiflicker capacitor is no longer enough like in the past with the 2011-2014.

The monitoring circuit if it does not see enough load with cut the power to the headlights and fog lights circuits thinking that the bulb is blown and therefore will reduce the electrical load on the system overall and cut power.

With a "running change" to the electrical in the second production year of a facelifted vehicle if makes it harder to predict that there would be issues when you use the 2014 as the benchmark only to find out that a minor change requires the use of an anti flicker and a relay harness in unison. As time progreases they may come up with less cumbersome ways to give the appear of load but for now we have to use the conventional ways.

Don't keep false hope that LEDS won't need external load stabilizes. If this was the case they would have devised a compact and self contained led unit already.

If we could disable the circuit monitoring then the additional boxes for tricking the nannies would not be needed.

We know you all are frustrated but Steve and the other guys at xenon depot are not at fault.

When selling retrofit parts for several different platforms certain difficulties only appear after you actually install the parts on the vehicle.
Do you ever think there could be a plug and play solution that fits inside the headlamp with the dust cover on with this new system on the 2015+? Something that would not require relays?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-23-2015, 07:05 PM
FatPanda's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1671
FatPanda is on a distinguished road
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

The frustration lies with the company simply based on the fact that the product is misrepresented. People elect to go with LEDs to avoid relay harnesses, granted the Canbus on a GC is basically a standard at this point. However the company should articulate what additional equipment may be needed.

If I knew I was going to need a full HID setup, I would have just gone with HIDs and saved myself some money and time.

The fact of the matter is that this application is not plug and play and should not be labeled as such. The only fault seems to be the lack of testing before releasing the product. Considering the GC is known to have a finicky electrical system why not put forth more effort into testing an application so all possible outcomes are known.

That is my honest opinion.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FatPanda For This Useful Post:
  #31  
Old 11-23-2015, 08:13 PM
subbie09's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4766
subbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPanda View Post
The frustration lies with the company simply based on the fact that the product is misrepresented. People elect to go with LEDs to avoid relay harnesses, granted the Canbus on a GC is basically a standard at this point. However the company should articulate what additional equipment may be needed.

If I knew I was going to need a full HID setup, I would have just gone with HIDs and saved myself some money and time.

The fact of the matter is that this application is not plug and play and should not be labeled as such. The only fault seems to be the lack of testing before releasing the product. Considering the GC is known to have a finicky electrical system why not put forth more effort into testing an application so all possible outcomes are known.

That is my honest opinion.

If you have millions and millions of dollars to test every single car on the market and their electrical system be my guest. It's impossible. Can we stop complaining about it and move on? When you modify things come up and you deal with it and move on.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-23-2015, 08:47 PM
FatPanda's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1671
FatPanda is on a distinguished road
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbie09 View Post
If you have millions and millions of dollars to test every single car on the market and their electrical system be my guest. It's impossible. Can we stop complaining about it and move on? When you modify things come up and you deal with it and move on.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
The purpose of this thread was to discuss the issues with the lights. You are more than welcome to unsubscribe, I don't want this turning into a pissing contest.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-23-2015, 09:17 PM
WK2night's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 582
WK2night is on a distinguished road
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

I do agree with jeep_addicted. Apparently there's a bit more of a touchy system in the '15. Subbie, you mentioned you had no problems in your '14 which is what I for one was basing my research on whether or not I would have any issue upgrading my lightning. As luck would have it the flipping '15 does not like it's lightning system played with for what it's worth. Perhaps other members with '15's will share their experiences in brands they found to work?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-23-2015, 09:24 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,508
Thanks: 279
Thanked 608 Times in 473 Posts
Rep Power: 30608
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPanda View Post
If I knew I was going to need a full HID setup, I would have just gone with HIDs and saved myself some money and time.
I agree HIDs have better light output and wider color temperature choices, the appeal of the LEDs is the promise of a quick and simple bulb swap without the module, relay spaghetti wiring mess. If you got to go through the same crap mess then what's the LED benefit? there is not, less usable light and fewer color choices then HID. LEDs are just not there yet at least with the jeep electrical setup, ive tried a few different ones and I'm back on halogens for the fogs. LED offerings change quickly something decent will probably come out in time.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-27-2015, 05:56 PM
FatPanda's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 73
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1671
FatPanda is on a distinguished road
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
I agree HIDs have better light output and wider color temperature choices, the appeal of the LEDs is the promise of a quick and simple bulb swap without the module, relay spaghetti wiring mess. If you got to go through the same crap mess then what's the LED benefit? there is not, less usable light and fewer color choices then HID. LEDs are just not there yet at least with the jeep electrical setup, ive tried a few different ones and I'm back on halogens for the fogs. LED offerings change quickly something decent will probably come out in time.
The LEDs seem to have a higher success rate in the fogs and most people dont mind the decrease in the usable light as they are not primary lighting. Unfortunately, I could not have predicted the failure of the LEDs.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Jeep_addicted's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Thomas US. Virgin islands
Posts: 1,408
Thanks: 24
Thanked 135 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 1333346
Jeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: XenonDepot LED Headlight Bulb Issues

In 11 years aftermarket LEDs have progressed in directional and Brake lighting.

What has not changed is the size of the components that need run the LEDs.

For example lets look at the headlights on the Toyota corolla they are a relatively compact LED projector unit. what a power management module and the Light itself if still not all that compact.

Now look at something more sophisticated like an acura headlight with the multiple LED emitter. None of these systems are small.

They all have a power management (ballast) LED board and Optics.

So an aftermarket system has to be expected to some the same components for it to really last a respectable amount of time.

What most LEDs have always suffered from is useable light. They can generate lots of lumens but have trouble putting it where it needs to go.


The VLED triton design sort of solves the problem of omni directional light from an LED in a halogen housing but VLEDs has not attempted to adapt their triton into a headlight application. Using that style would work better in a Halogen to LED conversion, light spread and beam distance should be as good as HID.

I put togther a relay harness for 2015's that can be used on either the low beams or the foglights.

The harness is specific to the Wk2 so
1. Its long enough to reach the headlights
2. the connections are very simple
3. Does not require the use of resistors
4. Has one 12v and ground connection.

Each headlight is on its own circuit and has its own trigger.

the harness includes the CANBUS (anti-flicker) units and the harness itself.

If you opt for Low beam you will receive a molex adapter.
If you opt for fog beam you will receive a h11 adapter
__________________
  • '12 Laredo X V6 Deep Cherry Dark/Mid Greystone, QT1
  • Outside: colormatched Altitude Grille, S Limited rear valance, Rear chrome trim Sharkfin, 20% tint, RFUK (built my own)
  • Inside: Alcantara steering wheel/shift knob,SRT dash trim, illuminated front scuff plates, stainless rear scuff plates, bright pedals, F/R footwell lights
  • Performance: OEM dual exhaust conversion, HD brakes, E-code SRT-8 projectors, JWS fogs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
headlight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
>>SALE: Savings on LED bulbs, LED Fogs, LED Dome Kits - Philips, Putco, XenonDepot< XenonDepot XenonDepot 38 08-12-2015 02:49 PM
2014/15 hid led bulb ugrade and led fog log light bulbs WickedXJ Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting 0 05-03-2015 12:48 AM
>>> Introducing XenonDepot LED Headlight and Fog Light Kits! <<< XenonDepot XenonDepot 0 03-20-2015 03:02 PM
2011 Grand Cherokee XenonDepot complete bulb replacement JJeep12 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 25 02-13-2014 09:36 AM
Xenondepot License Plate Flank Bulb HELP!! White Chocolate Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 1 03-31-2011 03:09 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.