Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-10-2013, 02:13 PM
UncleGuy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 697
UncleGuy is on a distinguished road
2014 Durango Questions & Observations

Been researching this vehicle a long while! You have more useful postings here in the Jeep Garage than I've found in any of the "Durango Forums" -- so maybe you can help...

a) I like the "Performance Tuning" idea of the R/T trim, but will be buying the Citadel.
What is that tuning comprised of?
Can it be done to the Citadel after purchasing?
One dealer said he's driven both but cannot tell any difference. A few Reviews say the R/T is more responsive on windy roads than any other Trim. Since I like to drive in the mountains, I thought I might like this feature.

b) Any conclusions on the firmness of the seats?
Some new owners immediately mention that the seats are too firm. Others never mention it. Some Reviews report them as "firm, but not uncomfortable". Which is it?

c) Does anybody know what that $450 Remote CD Player includes for $450?
Wow! Talk about over-priced!
Are there any third-party CD Players that might be used, instead? I could not find anything at Crutchfield or by searching Google.

d) Do any of you use Mud Flaps?
If so, which ones?

e) Has anyone spotted a Running Board with Illumination that fits this vehicle? Specifically, the Citadel?
Similar to these for the Honda Pilot:


f) Does a Dealer-installed Tow Kit match the Factory-installed Tow Group IV?
One Dealer offered this as an option when a vehicle he found did not have the Tow Group IV option that I listed. But my concern is the Load Leveling Suspension mentioned in its description. He seemed to think that was included with the HEMI that I also wanted. I could not find anything to support his statement -- nor could he.

My nephews all pointed out that such a kit depends heavily on which one it is. The Dealer finally admitted his would not be as concealed, would have no snap-on cover as from the factory, etc.

g) Those of you who own the 2014 -- is there enough legroom in the 2nd Row?
My initial reaction was it's a bit tight -- and I'm only 5-ft 10-in tall. Not that I'll be the one sitting there.

A few contributions, if these help...
1) A Dealer yesterday said sales for the Durango 2014 have jumped 50% since the Ron Burgundy ads started airing.
2) Factory incentives typically post the first week of each month. So if the current offers aren't exciting, you might wait until then.
3) I was told the Dealer "Hold-Back" on the Citadel I was looking at is $1,534 -- just in case it helps in your price wrestling negotiations.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 537
mannichine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
Does a Dealer-installed Tow Kit match the Factory-installed Tow Group IV? One Dealer offered this as an option when a vehicle he found did not have the Tow Group IV option that I listed. But my concern is the Load Leveling Suspension mentioned in its description. He seemed to think that was included with the HEMI that I also wanted. I could not find anything to support his statement -- nor could he. My nephews all pointed out that such a kit depends heavily on which one it is. The Dealer finally admitted his would not be as concealed, would have no snap-on cover as from the factory, etc.
I'm not going to make a guess as to whether or not it will match comprehensively, but if I recall correctly, the tow kit from the factory comes with an upgraded alternator and MAYBE an upgraded radiator (really trying to stretch my memory here, so please verify). These such items might serve as a starting point in discussing the details with the dealer.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2013, 04:59 PM
UncleGuy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 697
UncleGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Durango Questions & Observations

I think what I was told is the HEMI bundles the following:
Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
220-Amp Alternator

Whereas, the Tow Group IV bundles...
Rear Load Leveling Suspension
Full Size Spare Tire on Steel Rim

The Dealer yesterday pointed out you would not get the Spare & Wheel with the third-party Hitch Kit, but could not swear about the Suspension -- he vaguely remembered that the 2013 with the HEMI came standard with the Tow Package. This might be where they are confused, since Dodge breaks them into two options, now. I guess you have to buy both to get the Full Monty.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:08 PM
MAXGroup's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 1991 5.2L SJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 303
Thanks: 18
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 1368
MAXGroup has a reputation beyond reputeMAXGroup has a reputation beyond reputeMAXGroup has a reputation beyond reputeMAXGroup has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
The main difference between citadel and r/t is a lower suspension with 20 mm shorter springs, which in turn could suggest better shocks. Should be a sportier ride. I just loved the way the r/t looks all blacked out and no chrome, so I spaced one that has everything I wanted in a citadel. Ended up $2.5K cheaper than an identical citadel....... As to the towing, if you plan to ever two anything that is more than 1000 lb (so basically more than a roof rack on wheels, or a single small bike on a light trailer) get the factory towing package. The self leveling suspension by itself is a must have! In any case enjoy the new ride!
__________________
2015 Overland Hemi - being Dechromed and winched up
2014 Durango R/T
2010 Maserati Gran Turismo - sometimes I need to go faster

Everyday I hope to learn something new and exciting
Most days I'm disappointed ......
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
UncleGuy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 115
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 697
UncleGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Durango Questions & Observations

I did the same thing for the R/T, and, yes, it's the Value Package if what you want is an all-body-color and black vehicle. But that isn't my cup of tea. It could be my age (60). I still like a little glamor. I find all dark, all black, all body color, matte body paint, stealth styling -- all the things that appeal to some people -- completely uninspiring to me. I don't know why.

For example, the two-tone sidewall and dash treatment was far better -- color-wise -- in the 2013s than the all-black feature in the 2014s. They got rid of the taupe and seat-color matching accents. That was a disappointment for me when the 2014 finally showed up.

I do love the bright red stitching and embroidery inside the R/T. But I'd want something more on the door panels, and maybe a two-tone seat. Still, it's a good way to save money and get the extra performance with that tuning.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2013, 05:43 PM
JoeyD's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 528
Thanks: 50
Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 14651
JoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond repute
Some of my thoughts...

Towing: As others mentioned,if you are going to do any towing beyond anything extremely light, I would go factory. You also mentioned lots of driving in the mountains. I've had my previous transmission fail ( different vehicle) after driving in the mountains without towing, just loaded with passengers. Personally, I would opt for a factory tow package. Just to have peace of mind if nothing else.

Seats: I find them perfectly comfortable. I can see how some would say they are firm...I say they are supportive.

Legroom: Since the second row seats don't adjust fore-aft, it will depend a lot on how far back the front seats are. When you are testing them, make sure the front seat is adjusted first how you would sit in it. If the "easy entry/exit" setting is on, then the driver seats goes back (decreasing second row legroom) when you turn off the car to facilitate getting in and out. So if you are in a show room and the car is off, make sure you adjust the front seat first before testing out second row legroom.

Factory CD: Unless you really, REALLY need to use CDs, pass on it. It takes up considerable space in the center console. If you have never ripped CDs to your computer before ( and copied to a flash drive or memory card) now would be a good time to learn. . Its easy to do, and once you start doing it that way, you'll find the convienece of having all that music at your fingertips hard to live without. I have the CD/Blu-Ray drive in my console, and it's only used for the movies. If not for that, I would definitely not have opted for the CD drive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 PM
davewg's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 833
Thanks: 105
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 140642
davewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Durango Questions & Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
Been researching this vehicle a long while! You have more useful postings here in the Jeep Garage than I've found in any of the "Durango Forums" -- so maybe you can help...
I'll try...where I can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
b) Any conclusions on the firmness of the seats?
Some new owners immediately mention that the seats are too firm. Others never mention it. Some Reviews report them as "firm, but not uncomfortable". Which is it?
To me the seats are firm, and in a very good way. It could just be in comparison to my 9 year old Denali, and the 8+ year old Odyssey we go rid of, but I think they're very comfortable and the firmness is a good thing. We have a Limited, so we don't have the perforated/ventilated seats. Not sure if there is any difference there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
c) Does anybody know what that $450 Remote CD Player includes for $450?
Wow! Talk about over-priced!
Are there any third-party CD Players that might be used, instead? I could not find anything at Crutchfield or by searching Google.
Skip it. Steals more than half the space in the center console (there are JGC owners that have gone through the effort of getting rid of it). Use an SD card with your music and plug that into the media card slot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
d) Do any of you use Mud Flaps?
If so, which ones?
I don't want to steal his thunder but Fireman (another member here) has the MOPAR flaps on his and they look great. I think he's been happy with how they keep grime off the fenders and body work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
e) Has anyone spotted a Running Board with Illumination that fits this vehicle? Specifically, the Citadel?
I haven't, but a running board that fits any other Durango will fit the Citadel. They are not model specific, except that some won't fit certain years R/T or Heat versions.

We wound up going with the MOPAR ones (no lights, however). I need to install them this week.
Similar to these for the Honda Pilot:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
f) Does a Dealer-installed Tow Kit match the Factory-installed Tow Group IV?
One Dealer offered this as an option when a vehicle he found did not have the Tow Group IV option that I listed. But my concern is the Load Leveling Suspension mentioned in its description. He seemed to think that was included with the HEMI that I also wanted. I could not find anything to support his statement -- nor could he.
The trailer tow package is optional on all trims and includes the following:
Trailer Tow Group IV Includes 220-amp alternator, heavy-duty engine
oil cooler, class IV hitch receiver, seven- and four-pin wiring harness, rear
load leveling shocks and a full-size spare tire

A dealer cannot, at least not for reasonable cost, retro-fit the factory package. If you plan to tow, get it. I can't count the number of dealers (and not just Dodge) when we said we needed the tow package they would say "oh we can put that on for you". No, they can't. Its more than just the hitch. Dealers just want to make a sale, and plenty of people don't know the difference.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
g) Those of you who own the 2014 -- is there enough legroom in the 2nd Row?
My initial reaction was it's a bit tight -- and I'm only 5-ft 10-in tall. Not that I'll be the one sitting there.
I'm 5' 9" and I'm perfectly comfortable, though I've only sat behind my wife who is 5'1", but even with her seat in the entry/exit position I haven't found any problems.

Hope this was helpful...
__________________
'14 Durango Limited AWD Deep Cherry Red
'05 Yukon XL Denali
'67 Corvette Stingray
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 PM
fireman's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Eldersburg, MD
Posts: 259
Thanks: 14
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 349582
fireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond reputefireman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Durango Questions & Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewg View Post
I don't want to steal his thunder but Fireman (another member here) has the MOPAR flaps on his and they look great. I think he's been happy with how they keep grime off the fenders and body work.
No worries. I would have found this eventually.

UncleGuy, You've received solid advice throughout these messages. I just got back from out of town. I don't think I would get a good picture of the splash guards in my garage so I'll see what I can do for you in the morning. I notice a vast difference in the quantity of crud that gets kicked up and deposited on the bottom of my doors.

For the towing... I agree with the others... factory! It really is a good deal and the hitch is completely hidden when not in use. I'll see what I can do for pictures on that tomorrow as well... unless somebody beats me to it. Not mentioned is the wiring harness for a brake controller. Since you asked about the load leveling suspension, I'm guessing you'll be towing more than a bike rack. Unless you go factory, you will not have that wiring should you be towing something with brakes.

I also noticed you wrote this in Vertrkr's thread:
Going with the Citadel and Sandstone and the Light Frost Beige interior. Dealers in Maryland will give you ANY interior color you want -- so long as it's BLACK.

and also this:
This time around, the dealers at Dodge and Honda are taking their revenge. Almost every offer is at Invoice -- only a few are below. The Factory Incentives are not stellar.

I'm not sure where in Maryland you are but some of us have been quite pleased with Century Dodge in Mount Airy. I was extremely pleased with them. Absolutely top notch dealership and you really should give them a look. You can search for my posts on here or search for "Johnny" and "Century" on here. It is worth your while. Tell them Jeff and David from the JeepGarage forum sent you!
__________________
2014 Durango Limited AWD in granite crystal & loving it! :D
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-11-2013, 07:40 AM
davewg's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 833
Thanks: 105
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 140642
davewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Durango Questions & Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman View Post
I'm not sure where in Maryland you are but some of us have been quite pleased with Century Dodge in Mount Airy. I was extremely pleased with them. Absolutely top notch dealership and you really should give them a look. You can search for my posts on here or search for "Johnny" and "Century" on here. It is worth your while. Tell them Jeff and David from the JeepGarage forum sent you!
I will definitely second the thumb's up for Century.

If you can't find what you want on a dealer lot, or via dealer swap, have them order one for you (Century did for us).

Well worth the wait to have it just the way you want it.
__________________
'14 Durango Limited AWD Deep Cherry Red
'05 Yukon XL Denali
'67 Corvette Stingray
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 AM
davewg's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 833
Thanks: 105
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 140642
davewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Durango Questions & Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
A few contributions, if these help...
1) A Dealer yesterday said sales for the Durango 2014 have jumped 50% since the Ron Burgundy ads started airing.
I meant to mention, but I saw another 2014 Durango on Saturday night. I think it was Granite, but since it was going the other direction on a state highway it was tough to tell.

First 2014 I've seen in my area.

Even with a 50% jump in sales I think the Durango will still be a "rare" sight, and I like that.
__________________
'14 Durango Limited AWD Deep Cherry Red
'05 Yukon XL Denali
'67 Corvette Stingray
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 AM
MAXGroup's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 1991 5.2L SJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 303
Thanks: 18
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 1368
MAXGroup has a reputation beyond reputeMAXGroup has a reputation beyond reputeMAXGroup has a reputation beyond reputeMAXGroup has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleGuy View Post
I did the same thing for the R/T, and, yes, it's the Value Package if what you want is an all-body-color and black vehicle. But that isn't my cup of tea. It could be my age (60). I still like a little glamor. I find all dark, all black, all body color, matte body paint, stealth styling -- all the things that appeal to some people -- completely uninspiring to me. I don't know why. For example, the two-tone sidewall and dash treatment was far better -- color-wise -- in the 2013s than the all-black feature in the 2014s.
UncleGuy, it's not the age it's just what you like, and there is nothing wrong with us liking different things, otherwise we were all be driving the same car and trying to get the same woman who in turn was competing with any other women in the world to date George Clooney......... You see where I'm going with it :-) Diversity is good! And by the way I also find the citadel attractive and that it has the right amount of chrome to it.
__________________
2015 Overland Hemi - being Dechromed and winched up
2014 Durango R/T
2010 Maserati Gran Turismo - sometimes I need to go faster

Everyday I hope to learn something new and exciting
Most days I'm disappointed ......
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXGroup For This Useful Post:
  #12  
Old 11-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 801
Gtaz19 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Durango Questions & Observations

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewg View Post
I meant to mention, but I saw another 2014 Durango on Saturday night. I think it was Granite, but since it was going the other direction on a state highway it was tough to tell.

First 2014 I've seen in my area.

Even with a 50% jump in sales I think the Durango will still be a "rare" sight, and I like that.
The Durango increased sales to 5,120 sold in October, a 59% increase over September. I got mine in late spetember and I remember they were hard to come by and there were lists of people waiting to see and purchase according to Koons. So I would assume some of those low numbers in Spetember were them just trickling out at the time. Either way, 5,120 is a number that will make sure the 2014 Durango is a rare bird to see. I'd also assume they will not be spread evenly throughout the US, you will get concentrations in wealthier states, metropolitan areas for the most part as it is a $40-$50K car as a lot of us have been optioning them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXGroup View Post
UncleGuy, it's not the age it's just what you like, and there is nothing wrong with us liking different things, otherwise we were all be driving the same car and trying to get the same woman who in turn was competing with any other women in the world to date George Clooney......... You see where I'm going with it :-) Diversity is good! And by the way I also find the citadel attractive and that it has the right amount of chrome to it.
I am actually confused as to how UncleGuy doesn't share my taste as it is impecable. I'll have to mark it up to me being 30 and half Uncle's age. Which if you carry the 1 and add a 3 means I like chrome half as much as he does. I went with the sporty all blacked out look and the sportier driving. I have to say I have taken some pretty reckless turns so far and with minimal squeeling of the tires, this 5,300Lbs vehichle really held the corner. My friends in the car were mighty impressed we did not all die. It was a calcualted risk of their lives I was willing to take to see what this beast could do.

Side Note: While I appreciate diversity, there are things that are universally accepted as nice or pretty or good looking. It's a matter of who can afford to have them or has the ability to aquire them. The same way we all appreciate people lokoing at our cars, I appreciate people looking at my wife as I assume others here may as well. First and formost, it's about making yourself and your family happy, but it never hurts to have your ego stroked on top of that. If we are being honest, as it is human nature, having things other people desire is a good feeling no matter how secure you are. We all love our new Durango's, and we got them becasue we wanted them, but we all know that feeling when you get back in your car after a compliment at the gas station or we see someones head whip around to get a look at what we have, It feels good!
__________________

__________________
______________________________
2014 Black R/T - 5.7L HEMI V8 AWD
Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV, Premium Nappa Leather Group, Second-Row Fold / Tumble Captain Chairs, Power Sunroof, Uconnect(R) 8.4 AN, 20-Inch X 8-Inch Polished / Painted Wheels
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, 2014 durango, durango

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Durango towing fireman 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 40 10-31-2013 11:47 AM
2014 Durango R/T Review Immo 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 7 09-30-2013 06:41 AM
2014 SRT8 Durango is a go? Srt8_hmi 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 11 09-11-2013 02:12 PM
2014 Durango out already? Srt8_hmi 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 3 06-29-2013 08:37 PM
A few observations about the 2014 Summit compared with today's Summit nathantw Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 12 01-15-2013 11:05 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.