Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee
The Durango is nice, and I was seriously considering an R/T model. I chose a GC for a few reasons.
1) For being an "R/T" sporty model, it was slow. I'm fine with my Jeep being slow, because it's not designed to not be slow. But the idea that I was buying a semi-performance model that was slow was a no go.
2) The R/T trim didn't have the extra leather parts, or the cooled seats I wanted.
3) Durango doesn't have certain features I wanted, mainly the panoramic moonroof and the height adjustable suspension.
4) Durango only looks good in certain colors and angles IMO, and the back half of the Durango does indeed look half baked (again, IMO).
5) I didn't need the 3rd row at all, and higher trim levels include it. Plus, the 3rd row looked poorly executed when folded down, leaving empty space that I didn't like.
6) Price/quality. They were damn near the same price, and the Jeep felt like everything was just a bit nicer quality.
7) Explorer. When you look at Durango, you have to look at Explorer. Explorer looks better, has the same performance with better efficiency, has a nicer tech loadout, offers a pano roof, feels equally if not better put together... really the only thing the Durango has going for it against Explorer is riving feel and towing. I didn't want an Explorer because the Explorer Sport with the V6 Ecoboost is on its way, and I would have been upset I didn't wait for that.
I couldn't be happier with my GC Overland though. It's truly a great vehicle.