Durango vs. Grand Cherokee - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 PM
joeyo's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 276
Thanks: 160
Thanked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 2795
joeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

I always wanted to like the Durango, so I was pleased to have a 2013 Durango Crew as a rental for a over a month. It was decent, and it drove as nicely as my Grand Cherokee, but the interior was so bland and felt cheap compared to my 2012 Grand Cherokee. The 2014 updates made me consider it; I test drove a new loaded Citadel, and the interior STILL felt bland and cheap. I wound up crossing it off my list. I truthfully don't think it's a bad car, but it is not for me.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 09-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,164
Thanks: 195
Thanked 288 Times in 221 Posts
Rep Power: 2738
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyo View Post
I always wanted to like the Durango, so I was pleased to have a 2013 Durango Crew as a rental for a over a month. It was decent, and it drove as nicely as my Grand Cherokee, but the interior was so bland and felt cheap compared to my 2012 Grand Cherokee. The 2014 updates made me consider it; I test drove a new loaded Citadel, and the interior STILL felt bland and cheap. I wound up crossing it off my list. I truthfully don't think it's a bad car, but it is not for me.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

That's about the same for me. I felt the interior had too much hard plastic and was too monotone. The Hemi also felt slow even with the 8speed, it really needed the missing hp that the Ram 1500 has.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-05-2016, 09:01 PM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,877
Thanks: 1,146
Thanked 360 Times in 302 Posts
Rep Power: 9155
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy35 View Post
Yeah. It's kind of absurd to exclaim that there's a such a huuuuge difference between the the D and and the GC. Same seats, same infotainment, same engine, same tranny, roll down the same line, etc...I have no bias as I see them as pretty much same vehicle marketed to two different demographics.

So you can't tell an LS Tahoe from a Platinum Escalade either?

The Durango looks completely different than a GC. It's suspension is different. You can't get the EcoDiesel or 6.4 Hemi with a Durango. No leather dash. The Summit comes with more acoustic glass then the Citadel does.

Can you get HarmonKardon in the Durango?

A lot of the materials are a lot cheaper/plastic in the Durango. The whole dash and center armrest area is different. Obviously you haven't looked very close. But that's fine.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to overlanding For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #16  
Old 09-06-2016, 05:43 AM
joeyo's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2017 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 276
Thanks: 160
Thanked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 2795
joeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond reputejoeyo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
So you can't tell an LS Tahoe from a Platinum Escalade either?

The Durango looks completely different than a GC. It's suspension is different. You can't get the EcoDiesel or 6.4 Hemi with a Durango. No leather dash. The Summit comes with more acoustic glass then the Citadel does.

Can you get HarmonKardon in the Durango?

A lot of the materials are a lot cheaper/plastic in the Durango. The whole dash and center armrest area is different. Obviously you haven't looked very close. But that's fine.

This. Spot on.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joeyo For This Useful Post:
  #17  
Old 09-06-2016, 06:25 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1322
2014JGCLIMITED is on a distinguished road
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

I must be missing something as a former owner of a WK2 limited lux II and now a Durango r/t. Must be that I didn't have the overland/summit which has the nicer interior.

My Durango interior is very similar in touch and feel to my 2014 JGC limited lux II. I did get the red interior since that breaks up the monotone black interior. I find the performance to be similar to the my JGC. The Durango rides and handles noticeably better on the road and sounds WAY better especially on WOT up shifts. Anyway the Durango is basically a three row JGC as far as I can tell with a suspension tuned for the on-road use.

As far as the audio system the Durango has the beats audio system and it is mediocre at best sounds similar to slightly worse than my non HK system in my JGC.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-06-2016, 07:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 36
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 379
parttimer is on a distinguished road
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

I went from a 6cyl Durango Limited to my SRT Jeep. I would say there is quite a difference. I had the 8sp in my 2014 and while it was a smooth ride, it was on its second transmission within the first 10k miles, the AC was out by 28k miles. It also on 3 occasions accelerated on its own after putting it in reverse. The leather front seats were looking rough for mileage. The exterior was great, no paint issues, panel problems or things that looked bad. The plastic everywhere on the inside was a little much. I also felt the door armrest was not at the same level as the center armrest. I sometimes drive with both arms on the armrest and it was awkward. Fuel economy was so so, i was seeing maybe 20 in mixed driving. The third row or cargo area is great, at times we did have 6 people in it, including adults in the back seat that had no complaints, some said the back row was actually better than the middle. Another advantage is you could fold and flip the center row and give the back row awesome leg room!
I detailed a newer Jeep at the start of the year, preferred it much more than my Durango, after the AC took a dump I was done with it. Drove it 5 hours in 90+ degrees to get my SRT, interesting thing is the return trip took 3.............. I will say a week after I got the jeep, i took my gf, her 2 kids and 3 friends to an indoor water park, we had to take 2 vehicles, if I still had the Durango we could have gotten by with one!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 AM
barho's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 567
Thanks: 19
Thanked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 3310
barho has a brilliant future
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyo View Post
This. Spot on.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
It is NOT spot on. His argument that "you can't tell the difference between an LS Tahoe and a Platinum Escalade" is like saying you can't tell the difference between a Durango SXT and Summit GC. Of course anyone can, but that was not the argument here. The argument is you can't really tell the difference between a Laredo GC and Durango SXT (notice the thread title is Durango vs. GC, not Durango SXT vs Summit GC).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:28 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,661
Thanks: 742
Thanked 1,092 Times in 850 Posts
Rep Power: 1806090
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barho View Post
It is NOT spot on. His argument that "you can't tell the difference between an LS Tahoe and a Platinum Escalade" is like saying you can't tell the difference between a Durango SXT and Summit GC. Of course anyone can ...
I have a friend who is so disinterested in vehicles he would not recognize one from the other. His wife was a bit more interested. I went with him to buy a new Honda mini-van. The salesman said he had to go for a test drive and went and got a new one off the lot. He went to hand my friend the keys, but my friend said, "you drive", and we went for a ride. When we got back to the dealership the salesman wanted him to look through the inventory to pick colors and options. My friend's response, "You already have that one out". He did the paperwork and we drove home. After about an hour I asked how he liked it. "Same as my old one".

I can assure everyone that he would not notice the difference.

--
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_de For This Useful Post:
  #21  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:39 AM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,877
Thanks: 1,146
Thanked 360 Times in 302 Posts
Rep Power: 9155
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barho View Post
It is NOT spot on. His argument that "you can't tell the difference between an LS Tahoe and a Platinum Escalade" is like saying you can't tell the difference between a Durango SXT and Summit GC. Of course anyone can, but that was not the argument here. The argument is you can't really tell the difference between a Laredo GC and Durango SXT (notice the thread title is Durango vs. GC, not Durango SXT vs Summit GC).

Your argument would work if you were saying the Tahoe and Yukon are the same. But a GC and Durango are not. In a few trims they have the same seats. But in the TrailHawk, Overland, Summit and SRT they aren't the same...

And that is my point, the base level GC is similar to a Citadel material wise.

Maybe I should have said that the Traverse is different than the Equinox... They use the same motor though so they must be the same? Idk but the GC has more engine choices as well. It's a more premium vehicle. And you can tell, FCA has put more eggs in the GCs basket. It feels like they don't care all that much about the Durango.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-06-2016, 09:45 AM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,877
Thanks: 1,146
Thanked 360 Times in 302 Posts
Rep Power: 9155
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Oh hey they have the same key fobs!!! Got me there
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-06-2016, 10:07 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 403
Pappy35 is on a distinguished road
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barho View Post
It is NOT spot on. His argument that "you can't tell the difference between an LS Tahoe and a Platinum Escalade" is like saying you can't tell the difference between a Durango SXT and Summit GC. Of course anyone can, but that was not the argument here. The argument is you can't really tell the difference between a Laredo GC and Durango SXT (notice the thread title is Durango vs. GC, not Durango SXT vs Summit GC).
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
Your argument would work if you were saying the Tahoe and Yukon are the same. But a GC and Durango are not. In a few trims they have the same seats. But in the TrailHawk, Overland, Summit and SRT they aren't the same.

And that is my point, the base level GC is similar to a Citadel material wise.
These are spot on. Evidently I wasn't clear (which happens all the time). I never said they were identical designs and of course I would have been referring to models of similar levels. What I meant is that the quality of the materials used in comparable models would be the same. This is just a fact of large-scale, serial production lines: Where possible, use interchangeable parts when running two slightly different models on one production line. Slimming down the supply-chain is covered in Manufacturing 101. Nothing adds cost, and saps profit, like having to source 50 different, say seats, to cover 50 different models made on one line.

So no, an SRT is not going to be the same as an SXT or even a Citadel. Its seems like the assumptions here is that the GC, because it s a Jeep, is some step function higher in quality. It's not for the reasons I stated. I'm pretty unbiased about these kind of things, I am genetically incapable of having any brand-loyalty, but if you want to believe a Jeep is soooo much better just because it's a Jeep makes no difference to me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some of the responses were kinda snooty and that's not really necessary to make a point other than to prop up one's own over inflated self-image...
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pappy35 For This Useful Post:
  #24  
Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 AM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,877
Thanks: 1,146
Thanked 360 Times in 302 Posts
Rep Power: 9155
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Durango vs. Grand Cherokee

I like my over-inflated self image.

I was just stating the fact that there are optional materials that are of higher quality used in the GC, that aren't available in the Durango. And that's why I don't like it as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
durango, grand cherokee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2011+ Grand Cherokee/Durango V6 3.6 and 5.7 Airaid install and REVIEW! Very suprised! Scottina06 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 16 05-18-2012 10:25 AM
Durango vs. Grand Cherokee kaflyboy 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 42 05-16-2012 09:36 PM
will 07 grand cherokee srt8 wheels fit my 11 durango probablecauz 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 6 12-05-2011 12:00 AM
Should the 2011 Durango have been developed/marketed as a "Grand Cherokee XL" ? vikingdave 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 15 11-09-2011 02:54 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.