Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 591
Tellsch is on a distinguished road
Limited Questions

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a v6 Limited Durango. I wanted to avoid ordering and instead pick one up at a local dealer. I am in the Chicago area so there are plenty to choose from. The problem I am running into is finding one with all the options I am looking for.

Couple questions:
1. The HIDs are only available on the limited through the Safety/Security & Convenience Group right? If so, that option on the Limited is really hard to find.
2. The second row center console - since I have 2 little kids I do not want this option (just the mini-console on the floor). I am not sure if this is a deal breaker though. Has anyone looked into swapping the full console out for the mini? Is it a simple swap?

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central, NJ
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 338
RJ2014DD is on a distinguished road
You are correct on the HID's. I also had a problem locating one with that option. I ordered mine since we could not find the color we wanted with the safety package and rear captains chairs.

Not sure about swapping the console but there are charger outlets in the full console so you would have to deal with terminating them etc. IMO, the full console is sort of like having the bench seat anyway, we like the pass through so the kids can get to the third row with ease.

Good luck!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-07-2013, 09:40 PM
davewg's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 819
Thanks: 105
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 140535
davewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Limited Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellsch View Post
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a v6 Limited Durango. I wanted to avoid ordering and instead pick one up at a local dealer. I am in the Chicago area so there are plenty to choose from. The problem I am running into is finding one with all the options I am looking for.

Couple questions:
1. The HIDs are only available on the limited through the Safety/Security & Convenience Group right? If so, that option on the Limited is really hard to find.
2. The second row center console - since I have 2 little kids I do not want this option (just the mini-console on the floor). I am not sure if this is a deal breaker though. Has anyone looked into swapping the full console out for the mini? Is it a simple swap?

Thanks
The consoles cannot be swapped. The engineering in the floor and seats are different. The captains without the console have inboard armrests that the console equipped models don't have (nor the mounting holes).

There is also all the electrical for the lights around the cup holders and for the plugs in the full console. The electronics are complicated enough that the truck might not react well to removal in any case.

The SSCG also requires the upgrade amp/subwoofer package which is why dealers may not have them equipped that way. Broaden your search net outside of your area (e.g. I'm in NJ and purchased from a dealer in MD), or have the dealer locate one for you and do a swap.
__________________
'14 Durango Limited AWD Deep Cherry Red
'05 Yukon XL Denali
'67 Corvette Stingray
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 708
Gtaz19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewg View Post
The consoles cannot be swapped. The engineering in the floor and seats are different. The captains without the console have inboard armrests that the console equipped models don't have (nor the mounting holes). There is also all the electrical for the lights around the cup holders and for the plugs in the full console. The electronics are complicated enough that the truck might not react well to removal in any case. The SSCG also requires the upgrade amp/subwoofer package which is why dealers may not have them equipped that way. Broaden your search net outside of your area (e.g. I'm in NJ and purchased from a dealer in MD), or have the dealer locate one for you and do a swap.
The seats are definitely different, and the console wouldn't really fit in the same area that the floor console fits. However due to costs, the plugs are available in that area usually. It's cheaper for Chrysler to keep certain things like wiring the same in all cars vs change per model. Usually the wiring will be there in cars and just not connected to the non optioned item. The holes of course would be there as well as all frames are the same. It breaks down to economies of scale. They lay all the base wiring before it gets to the optioned portion of the assembly line.

It's kinda the same reason men have nipples. It's the part that develops before the sex of the child is decided by the Y chromosome
__________________
______________________________
2014 Black R/T - 5.7L HEMI V8 AWD
Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV, Premium Nappa Leather Group, Second-Row Fold / Tumble Captain Chairs, Power Sunroof, Uconnect(R) 8.4 AN, 20-Inch X 8-Inch Polished / Painted Wheels
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM
davewg's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 819
Thanks: 105
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 140535
davewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Limited Questions

True, technically its feasible, but likely cost prohibitive.

We had a member who had ordered a Rallye model equipped with the captains/console, but it was delivered without the console (an issue with availability of the combo on that model at the time). There was discussion of trying to swap the consoles at that time, and the conclusion was it wasn't really doable.
__________________
'14 Durango Limited AWD Deep Cherry Red
'05 Yukon XL Denali
'67 Corvette Stingray
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 708
Gtaz19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by davewg View Post
True, technically its feasible, but likely cost prohibitive. We had a member who had ordered a Rallye model equipped with the captains/console, but it was delivered without the console (an issue with availability of the combo on that model at the time). There was discussion of trying to swap the consoles at that time, and the conclusion was it wasn't really doable.
Yeah I got the same talk at koons when I asked what would happen if I changed my mind in the future. The idea was it would go from the cheapest option to one of the most expensive ones. It would be crazy expensive and not worth it. The wires are there but all the labor and the different sizes of the consoles are what put it over the edge. I just needed an excuse to talk about nipples.
__________________
______________________________
2014 Black R/T - 5.7L HEMI V8 AWD
Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV, Premium Nappa Leather Group, Second-Row Fold / Tumble Captain Chairs, Power Sunroof, Uconnect(R) 8.4 AN, 20-Inch X 8-Inch Polished / Painted Wheels
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 AM
davewg's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Medford, NJ
Posts: 819
Thanks: 105
Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
Rep Power: 140535
davewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond reputedavewg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Limited Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtaz19 View Post
Yeah I got the same talk at koons when I asked what would happen if I changed my mind in the future. The idea was it would go from the cheapest option to one of the most expensive ones. It would be crazy expensive and not worth it. The wires are there but all the labor and the different sizes of the consoles are what put it over the edge.
It's like building a house. Some things are more cost effective to have the builder do it; others are better left to after its all done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtaz19 View Post
I just needed an excuse to talk about nipples.


What ever will Laurel think now...
__________________
'14 Durango Limited AWD Deep Cherry Red
'05 Yukon XL Denali
'67 Corvette Stingray
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Anderson, IN
Posts: 19
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 371
gjohnson3344 is on a distinguished road
Re: Limited Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellsch View Post
I am getting close to pulling the trigger on a v6 Limited Durango. I wanted to avoid ordering and instead pick one up at a local dealer. I am in the Chicago area so there are plenty to choose from. The problem I am running into is finding one with all the options I am looking for.

Couple questions:
1. The HIDs are only available on the limited through the Safety/Security & Convenience Group right? If so, that option on the Limited is really hard to find.
2. The second row center console - since I have 2 little kids I do not want this option (just the mini-console on the floor). I am not sure if this is a deal breaker though. Has anyone looked into swapping the full console out for the mini? Is it a simple swap?

Thanks
I have the mini console and love it but can not advise on the swap out possibility you might ask the dealer.

As far as the Safety/Security package I am glad I got it if for nothing more than the Blind Spot feature (Love It!).
__________________
2014 Durango Limited AWD V6
2014 Charger SXT PLUS AWD V6
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 708
Gtaz19 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps you could build the rear console with all the parts here...
http://www.mopar.com/dodge/durango/2...63651/30/3086/

Doubt it's worth it, but if you like puzzles and wasting money, this project should be up your alley.
__________________

__________________
______________________________
2014 Black R/T - 5.7L HEMI V8 AWD
Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV, Premium Nappa Leather Group, Second-Row Fold / Tumble Captain Chairs, Power Sunroof, Uconnect(R) 8.4 AN, 20-Inch X 8-Inch Polished / Painted Wheels
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
limited

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions 2004 WJ Limited bakpakr Troubleshooting/Problems 10 07-28-2013 03:55 AM
2014 Limited radio/media uconnect questions ledcat Audio/Visual/Navigation 10 06-27-2013 09:25 PM
Three questions about the 430n Nav in the 2011 GC Limited Sudin36 Audio/Visual/Navigation 1 05-16-2013 02:07 PM
Questions About the VES and Factory Stereo on the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited nalhutta Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 0 05-09-2013 05:06 PM
My Grand Cherokee Limited CRD and a few questions... RossC Grand Cherokee - WK 8 01-17-2011 04:12 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community