Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-06-2014, 12:08 PM
vertrkr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 422
Thanks: 22
Thanked 101 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 350208
vertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond repute
Radiator fan always runs when raining at idle

I've noticed when ever it's raining the radiator fan will run when idling at a stop whether the engine is hot or cold. Soon as you start driving the fan will shut down. Nothing seems to change this behavior like fluid temp, A/C on or off, heat, wipers, lights... The fan is pretty quite so you won't hear it spool up or down if the radio is on or people talking. It happens every single time is raining.

I can only think I either have a short caused by the water but if that was the cause I'd think the fan would always run and not shut down once the car is moving. Or, this is some programmed logic I don't understand, perhaps to keep the engine/belt dry or the radiator clear of water droplets. Anyone else notice this?

Update: I've given this a lot of thought and nothing makes sense except for a short on the A/C pressure transducer as the fan should have the same behavior if the A/C was on. Or what ever sending unit controls the fan with the A/C compressor is on, guessing it's the transducer. Guess I'll have to pick a nice rainy day to bring it to the dealer so they can reproduce it, which is slim pickings here in California.
__________________

__________________
'14 Citadel AWD 3.6L Sandstone/Tan
Tech, Tow, Captain Chairs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 226
mingoglia is on a distinguished road
Re: Radiator fan always runs when raining at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertrkr View Post
I've noticed when ever it's raining the radiator fan will run when idling at a stop whether the engine is hot or cold. Soon as you start driving the fan will shut down. Nothing seems to change this behavior like fluid temp, A/C on or off, heat, wipers, lights... The fan is pretty quite so you won't hear it spool up or down if the radio is on or people talking. It happens every single time is raining.

I can only think I either have a short caused by the water but if that was the cause I'd think the fan would always run and not shut down once the car is moving. Or, this is some programmed logic I don't understand, perhaps to keep the engine/belt dry or the radiator clear of water droplets. Anyone else notice this?

Update: I've given this a lot of thought and nothing makes sense except for a short on the A/C pressure transducer as the fan should have the same behavior if the A/C was on. Or what ever sending unit controls the fan with the A/C compressor is on, guessing it's the transducer. Guess I'll have to pick a nice rainy day to bring it to the dealer so they can reproduce it, which is slim pickings here in California.
You sure it's not because the A/C is running automatically to dry the air due to the extra humidity from the rain? When this process is happening I don't believe the A/C iight is actually on.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 PM
vertrkr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 422
Thanks: 22
Thanked 101 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 350208
vertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radiator fan always runs when raining at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
You sure it's not because the A/C is running automatically to dry the air due to the extra humidity from the rain? When this process is happening I don't believe the A/C iight is actually on.
Yep, I'm sure, I've had it on auto, manual and off and the same thing happens. Thanks for chiming in though, appreciate the feedback.
__________________
'14 Citadel AWD 3.6L Sandstone/Tan
Tech, Tow, Captain Chairs
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 AM
tomk's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 345
Thanks: 7
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 1877
tomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radiator fan always runs when raining at idle

I recall a lot of people (with various vehicles) complaining about their radiator "smoking" at a stop in rainy or snowy weather.. I wonder if this is a "feature" to keep water that evaporates from the surface of the radiator from being visible?
__________________
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L !!
And a few past Durangos
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2014, 04:46 PM
vertrkr's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 422
Thanks: 22
Thanked 101 Times in 69 Posts
Rep Power: 350208
vertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond reputevertrkr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Radiator fan always runs when raining at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
I recall a lot of people (with various vehicles) complaining about their radiator "smoking" at a stop in rainy or snowy weather.. I wonder if this is a "feature" to keep water that evaporates from the surface of the radiator from being visible?
I ran with that theory and figured there must be an exterior humidity sensor if this fan behavior is intentional. Unfortunately I did not see one in the mopar parts catalog so I'm back to the some a/c sensor must be shorting out when wet.

I think I'm going to get a spray bottle and see if I can activate the fan spraying sensor connections that might get hit by rain. I love a good mystery.
__________________
'14 Citadel AWD 3.6L Sandstone/Tan
Tech, Tow, Captain Chairs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
radiator fan yev_martin Troubleshooting/Problems 2 02-21-2012 11:39 PM
99 WJ Blower fan runs constantly Rottweiler123 Troubleshooting/Problems 5 12-15-2011 12:45 AM
Radiator Fan mbriddle Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 10-10-2011 04:57 PM
2003 Radiator Fan JeepMe Troubleshooting/Problems 3 04-28-2011 12:35 PM
Problem with Radiator Fan???????? Please HELP Jdpur816 Troubleshooting/Problems 18 07-25-2010 07:41 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community