Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #97  
Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 PM
JoeyD's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 528
Thanks: 50
Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 14600
JoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Experiment with a Stone / Bud Deflector.

So with the Wisconsin road trip (2000 highway miles of travel) coming up, I'm thinking about paint protection for the front of the D. I will likely get a "clear bra" for the front bumper cover and sections of the front fenders, but was not sure if I wanted to do the front section of the hood with the clear bra...or try a bug /stone shied to take care of that area.

So I decided to see what a stone / bug shield might look like.

Mopar sells one, but only in a chrome finish...and as much as I dig the chrome grille on the D, I think a chrome shield going along the hood line would be too much.

So I ordered one from WeatherTech, which has a "dark smoke" finish.

Long story short, even though their model selector says it fits a '14, it's "not quite.". The 4 holes drilled in the shield for installation line up correctly with 4 of the pop rivets that hold the hood gasket in place, but there is a 5th pop rivet (right in the center) of the hood line that does not have a corresponding hole in the shield. In any case, I did install it, but the hood would not close. I'm not 100% sure if the hood isn't closing because of the fitment with the center of the shield, or just because it's too "thick."

The look is actually pretty good, and compliments the paint well. I could give the dremel a go and try cutting away parts of the shield, but I decided to just return it.

I attached a couple pics just so y'all can get a feel for how the bug shield would look. (Again, you can see the hood is not completely closed...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_00000356.jpg (549.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000357.jpg (544.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_00000358.jpg (510.4 KB, 36 views)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-16-2013, 07:20 AM
JoeyD's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 528
Thanks: 50
Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 14600
JoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Looks like I'll get to try out my dealer's service department on Monday. My "check airbag system" light is on, so I'll be taking it in.

Hopefully it's a minor fix and not something they'll have to take the dash apart for...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 156
Thanks: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 556
fk186 is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Deflector looks good, to bad it's not fitting properly. Hopefully something was just not plugged incorrectly and will be a quick and easy fix.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-16-2013, 08:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 156
Thanks: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 556
fk186 is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

I will be in on Monday as well to address some of my fit and finish issues. The car rode awesome back and forth to Boston. The navigation was great. How is it able to determine traffic ahead, through XM somehow? Person I drove up with was calling it the KIT car.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 AM
dbtx's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 443
dbtx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dbtx
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Experiment with a Stone / Bud Deflector.

So with the Wisconsin road trip (2000 highway miles of travel) coming up, I'm thinking about paint protection for the front of the D. I will likely get a "clear bra" for the front bumper cover and sections of the front fenders, but was not sure if I wanted to do the front section of the hood with the clear bra...or try a bug /stone shied to take care of that area.

So I decided to see what a stone / bug shield might look like.

Mopar sells one, but only in a chrome finish...and as much as I dig the chrome grille on the D, I think a chrome shield going along the hood line would be too much.

So I ordered one from WeatherTech, which has a "dark smoke" finish.

Long story short, even though their model selector says it fits a '14, it's "not quite.". The 4 holes drilled in the shield for installation line up correctly with 4 of the pop rivets that hold the hood gasket in place, but there is a 5th pop rivet (right in the center) of the hood line that does not have a corresponding hole in the shield. In any case, I did install it, but the hood would not close. I'm not 100% sure if the hood isn't closing because of the fitment with the center of the shield, or just because it's too "thick."

The look is actually pretty good, and compliments the paint well. I could give the dremel a go and try cutting away parts of the shield, but I decided to just return it.

I attached a couple pics just so y'all can get a feel for how the bug shield would look. (Again, you can see the hood is not completely closed...)
Whacky! I read a post (maybe on this forum) where the owner installed the OEM MOPAR bug shield and I believe it also had 5 rivets with one being smack bang in the center. If I find the post I will add the link back here.

You are 100% right on the smoke vs. chrome. Personal choice but too much chrome is not for me. Also the OEM version you can see the rivet tops on the face of the shield. Poor finish.

- Danny
__________________
2014 Durango R/T AWD Granite Crystal Metallic
|Tech|Tow|Nappa|Captains|Sunroof|8.4AN|
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 751
Gtaz19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fk186 View Post
I will be in on Monday as well to address some of my fit and finish issues. The car rode awesome back and forth to Boston. The navigation was great. How is it able to determine traffic ahead, through XM somehow? Person I drove up with was calling it the KIT car.
It uses reports from traffic aggregating sources and feeds the info via SXM to your radio. I had this in my 07 Nissan, but the rerouting wasn't as good. I personally like Waze better for traffic because it crowd sources this data. Google just bought them. I believe apple maps does this as well. It would be nice if Uconnect crowd sourced traffic data too, as these systems grow on the road we'd have really good traffic information.
__________________
______________________________
2014 Black R/T - 5.7L HEMI V8 AWD
Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV, Premium Nappa Leather Group, Second-Row Fold / Tumble Captain Chairs, Power Sunroof, Uconnect(R) 8.4 AN, 20-Inch X 8-Inch Polished / Painted Wheels
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gtaz19 For This Useful Post:
  #103  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:25 PM
JoeyD's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 528
Thanks: 50
Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 14600
JoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
Looks like I'll get to try out my dealer's service department on Monday. My "check airbag system" light is on, so I'll be taking it in.

Hopefully it's a minor fix and not something they'll have to take the dash apart for...
For the benefit of those keeping track...it was apparently a loose wiring connection for one of the side air-bags. They needed to take a door panel off to complete the repair and didn't have to mess with the dash. In and out of the shop in 2 hrs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 156
Thanks: 13
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 556
fk186 is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Glad to here thats all it was. I bet you were wondering the whole time what where they taking apart. I to was at dealer this morning for about the same amount of time. They adjusted the door, fixed a paint scrape on hood, adjusted sunroof so that it sits flusher, and gave me container of touch up paint for the paint bubble under hood that I stated I would handle.
The fit and finish would be my only complaint thus far with the D's, loose wiring I include in that. To many small issues being missed in final inspection. On the plus side I think its one of the best riding car I have had. The drivetrain, handling, and general steering feel is fantastic.
Joey, PM me when you think we can get together for a picture of the Double D's
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 313
Thanks: 9
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 751
Gtaz19 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fk186 View Post
Glad to here thats all it was. I bet you were wondering the whole time what where they taking apart. I to was at dealer this morning for about the same amount of time. They adjusted the door, fixed a paint scrape on hood, adjusted sunroof so that it sits flusher, and gave me container of touch up paint for the paint bubble under hood that I stated I would handle. The fit and finish would be my only complaint thus far with the D's, loose wiring I include in that. To many small issues being missed in final inspection. On the plus side I think its one of the best riding car I have had. The drivetrain, handling, and general steering feel is fantastic. Joey, PM me when you think we can get together for a picture of the Double D's
When you get together see if one of you can get a hold of a motor boat. Make sure to get a picture of the motor boat between those bad boys. You know, to show the towing capability...
__________________
______________________________
2014 Black R/T - 5.7L HEMI V8 AWD
Technology Group, Trailer Tow Group IV, Premium Nappa Leather Group, Second-Row Fold / Tumble Captain Chairs, Power Sunroof, Uconnect(R) 8.4 AN, 20-Inch X 8-Inch Polished / Painted Wheels
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM
JoeyD's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ, USA
Posts: 528
Thanks: 50
Thanked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 14600
JoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyD has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
I am thinking the same thing...yes, that is the paper temp tag and perhaps with the actual plate it will be too tight. Maybe it will take a dremel or hack/saw to get it to fit at that point. Will let y'all know.
Well, I got my official plates on, and while the fit is indeed tight, that license plate frame still does fit with the metal NJ plates. I didn't take a new pic.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't need to take my dremel to the frame.

I decided that for the front, I'll install a chrome / mirror finish metal frame to compliment the rest of the chrome on the front. I currently have a flimsy one in place until I get a higher quality one delivered from amazon. The frames do fit "on top of" the factory front license plate holder. Note that while the front holder is only drilled for 2 holes, you can use a four hole frame and self-tap the additional two holes on the bottom...just be sure that your screws are only long enough to tap the oem plate holder, and not go all the way through to the bumper.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 11-23-2013, 06:08 PM
UncleGuy's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 114
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 645
UncleGuy is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

I think somebody needs to create a 2014 Durango Mods and Add-Ons Thread that catalogs all of these neat ideas!

Plate Frames
Door Sills
Floor Lights / LEDs
Bug Deflectors
Running Boards
Etcetera
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 11-25-2013, 05:49 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 81
Thanks: 24
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 520
mrmitsou is on a distinguished road
Re: Thoughts on my Granite D Citadel with Blu-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyD View Post
I thought I'd post this since others may be looking for a frame and if they like this particular finish, you'll know it fits without having to go through trial and error. I didn't want a chrome finish for the back, nor did I want any kind of plastic frame. I found this at my local AutoZone, but it's available at Amazon as well. It's a "black chrome" finish which I think compliments the granite crystal paint (and many other colors) nicely.
Thanks for the heads-up on this (read your recent post about how it fits with a real license plate). I'm going to order it as it'll go nicely with the black paint on mine.
__________________

__________________
'14 Citadel AWD 3.6L Black/Tan Tech
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
citadel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Citadel With Blu-Ray - Initial Impressions bigtimmo 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 60 11-25-2013 02:46 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.