Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Modifications & Enhancements > Wheels and Tires

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 PM
navger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 908
navger is on a distinguished road
Garage
Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

What are the main differences between the two? Which one provides better results and what's the cost/time difference? I have a set of 20" Overland wheels that I'm thinking of changing but I'm not sure which way to go. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Dutch577's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 672
Dutch577 is on a distinguished road
I am looking at powder coating to a matte black with some texture and I was quoted $400 for all 5 wheels with sand blast included. The texture would be close to the texture on the dash.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM
navger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 908
navger is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch577 View Post
I am looking at powder coating to a matte black with some texture and I was quoted $400 for all 5 wheels with sand blast included. The texture would be close to the texture on the dash.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks a lot for your response. I was actually quoted the same price for powder coating my wheels. I heard that the textured look is hard to keep clean since its a rough finish. I'm looking for more of a flat black finish.

I've seen posts of people plasti dipping the wheels themselves and they look great but I'm afraid of them not holding up overtime.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Yadkin's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yadkin Valley, NC
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 202252
Yadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

My gosh there is really no comparison. Powder coating is much more durable. A guy here does them for $50 each. Pick your color; flat, satin or gloss.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-07-2012, 01:58 PM
tfranzone's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2008 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 741
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 109878
tfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond reputetfranzone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

The powder coat I'm sure is more durable, but I went with plasti dip. the way i look at it...
1. its still pretty damn durable...and easily touched up if not up to your durability standards.
2. it cost less than 20 bucks.
3. looks good...can also do flat or go glossy using the glossifier on top.
4. its removable if you ever decide to change back or sell your wheels.
5. if im spending $400 to powder coat OEM wheels.. I rather just spend a little more if not the same via craigslist or ebay on a nicer aftermarket set that I dont have to worry about painting/pd'ing/or powder coating.

just my opinion though.
__________________
2008 4.7L V8 WK - ORT
BLACK l 2" Daystar Lift l 1.5" Spidertrax Wheel Spacers l 265/70/17 Cooper Discoverer AT3s l
Pinch Weld Mod l 25% Front Tint l Fogs l Black Shorty Antenna l
PD'd Wheels & Emblems l WeatherTech Digital Liners l Drop in K&N
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM
navger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 908
navger is on a distinguished road
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
The powder coat I'm sure is more durable, but I went with plasti dip. the way i look at it...
1. its still pretty damn durable...and easily touched up if not up to your durability standards.
2. it cost less than 20 bucks.
3. looks good...can also do flat or go glossy using the glossifier on top.
4. its removable if you ever decide to change back or sell your wheels.
5. if im spending $400 to powder coat OEM wheels.. I rather just spend a little more if not the same via craigslist or ebay on a nicer aftermarket set that I dont have to worry about painting/pd'ing/or powder coating.

just my opinion though.
How's the durability of the plasti dip as far as going through a car wash? And did you do the spraying yourself? The fact that its so inexpensive AND is removable makes it a really attractive option.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Dutch577's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 672
Dutch577 is on a distinguished road
The more I think about it and having watched some YouTube videos on plasti dip, I am intrigued by this option. I am also curious as to durability.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
BLKBULL's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2007 6.1L SRT8
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Laughlin Nv.
Posts: 173
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1066
BLKBULL is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

give it a shot 4 cans should do it....under $30
__________________
Nitto's 420's/Borla S Exhaust/Mopar CAI/Tinted Windows/BlackOut Head Lights/SilverStars/SRT8 Emblems Wheel/Stick/Oem F/R SRT Door Sills/Tinted Tails-3rd Brake/SRT Grill Badge/Smoke OEM Fog Lights/Blk Billet Shorty Antenna/Upgraded Rotors-Pads/All Chrome Blk Out/BT Eng Goodies/3m Di-Con Blk CF Interior/SRT Window Banner/Rear Spoiler/Catch Can/Switchbacks
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 840
Robert1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

I went with plasti dipping the grill, the chrome trim on the sides, and the rear brow when I forst got my jeep. It's been on there for a good 5 months without even a touch up. Granted I was washing the vehicle myself. As winter is approaching I went ahead and vinyl wrapped the grill and the stock wheels in satin black (I have 22in Black SRT reps for summer) since Ill be taking it to the car wash and they will most likey not be as delicate while drying the vehicle as I am. But as far as the durability, I was able to use a pressure washer on all the parts with no problem. My concern with plasti dipping the wheels as opposed to vinyl wrapping was that I read on other forums that if you get tire wet on the dip it will eventually eat through it...forcing you to either reapply or not use tire treatment. I personally like the wet look so I figured a 70 dollar investment in the vinyl and doing it myself I could do the wheels, grill, and rear brow with material to spare and not have to worry about anything. Just my two cents...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 AM
navger's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: California
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 908
navger is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1 View Post
I went with plasti dipping the grill, the chrome trim on the sides, and the rear brow when I forst got my jeep. It's been on there for a good 5 months without even a touch up. Granted I was washing the vehicle myself. As winter is approaching I went ahead and vinyl wrapped the grill and the stock wheels in satin black (I have 22in Black SRT reps for summer) since Ill be taking it to the car wash and they will most likey not be as delicate while drying the vehicle as I am. But as far as the durability, I was able to use a pressure washer on all the parts with no problem. My concern with plasti dipping the wheels as opposed to vinyl wrapping was that I read on other forums that if you get tire wet on the dip it will eventually eat through it...forcing you to either reapply or not use tire treatment. I personally like the wet look so I figured a 70 dollar investment in the vinyl and doing it myself I could do the wheels, grill, and rear brow with material to spare and not have to worry about anything. Just my two cents...
I've seen some youtube videos of people vinyl wrapping their wheels, but it seems more time consuming and difficult than the spray. Is the final product just as good as the plasti dip/powder coat? I think I will try spraying the chrome trim this weekend and see how it goes. If I'm satisfied I might go for the wheels next.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
RyanDurango is on a distinguished road
Re: Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

Plastidip works well and is cheap. I did all my window trim and it looks great!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:14 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
RyanDurango is on a distinguished road
Re: Powder coating vs plasti dipped rims

Almost forgot. It lasts pretty long as well. I have had it on for almost 9 months.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powder coating in Utah tashakirkham Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 0 09-11-2012 05:47 PM
Powder Coating Question tmw1582 Wheels and Tires 6 07-30-2012 10:31 AM
2008 WK Plasti Dipped rims + Emblems Sigz Interior/Exterior/Visual 13 05-29-2012 06:37 PM
Powder coating rims on leased car whojenks Interior/Exterior/Visual 4 04-06-2012 09:19 PM
got some powder coating done Killr-b Interior/Exterior Visual 4 04-05-2011 08:26 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community