So I took advantage of another 50 degree weekend in NY and did some digging around.
DRIVERS SIDE - After taking a bunch of trim pieces off, I was able to locate the actuator. As suspected, the gear attached to the actuator that spins the blend door open / closed (hot / cold for drivers side only) was cracked. What was not expected, the "spindle" that is attached to the blend door was also snapped off. The gear is an easy fix, the spindle I don;t think so. Looks like I'll have to remove the entire dash to get to the blend door to replace. The plastic is all dried out and brittle... Ugh.
PASSENGER SIDE - Just for funzies, since I was already tearing my beautiful baby apart, I looked at the passenger side. The gear attached to the recirculation door behind the glove box was also cracked. This should be an easy fix. I guess I never noticed this because I rarely, if ever, use the re circulation feature.
My next question - I've seen text posts with dash removal instructions, is there a service manual with pictures? I got this from google, it seems to be for an XK and the steps don;t seem to align exactly with the text post I found for the WK
Here are the text instructions for the WK
1. Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL - WARNING)
2. Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable.
3. Remove the bolts (3) and remove the drivers side hush panel (2).
4. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, separate the upper clips and rotate the cover down and release the lower hinges at the bottom and remove the opening cover.
WARNING: Before servicing the steering column the airbag system must be disarmed. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the airbag and possible personal injury. (refer to 8 - electrical/restraints/driver airbag - removal).
5. Remove the three bolts in the lower shroud (2).
NOTE: Use care not to break off the tangs on the shrouds.
6. Then unsnap the lower shroud (2) from the upper shroud (1).
7. Disconnect the steering column electrical connectors (3).
CAUTION: Do not turn the steering wheel more than 90 degrees or damage to the clockspring may occur.
8. Position front wheels straight ahead.
9. Remove the pinch bolt (2).
10. Remove the column support bolts (1).
11. Remove the column cross bolt (1) and slide the column (2) downward off the bracket and remove the steering column.
12. Remove the nuts (1) attaching the instrument panel to the pedal support bracket.
13. Separate the door seal as necessary to access the side covers.
14. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the left side cover.
15. Remove the left side door sill trim.
16. Remove the drivers side cowl trim panel.
17. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
18. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
19. Remove the bolts and disconnect the ground wires within the steering column opening to the left of the steering column.
20. Disconnect the white adjustable pedal electrical connector.
21. Remove the bolts (2) and remove the left a-pillar trim. * Right side shown, left side similar.
22. Remove the two left side bolts and one screw at the a-pillar support. * Right side shown, left side similar.
23. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the shifter bezel ring.
24. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the shifter bezel.
25. Remove the center console back cover (2) and disconnect the electrical connector (3).
26. Remove the screws (2) and remove the console (1).
27. Disconnect the electrical connectors under the console.
28. Disconnect the stabilizer from the outer panel of the box compartment.
29. Open the glove box and push the stop tabs down to drop the glove box out of the instrument panel.
30. Rotate the box down and release the door hinges (2) at the bottom and remove the glove box.
31. Remove the passenger side hush panel.
32. Remove the right side door sill trim. * Left side door sill trim shown, right side similar.
33. Remove the nut (1), separate the right cowl trim panel and remove.
34. Remove the right side end cap. * Left side end cap shown, right side similar.
35. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
36. Remove the bolts and remove the right a-pillar trim panel.
37. Remove the two right side bolts and one screw at the a-pillar support.
38. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the defroster grilles (2).
39. Remove the two fenceline nuts (1). 40. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the radio bezel.
41. Remove the screw inside the lower storage bin, if equipped.
42. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, remove the center bezel and disconnect the electrical connectors.
43. Remove the nut from the HVAC support stud behind the center bezel.
44. Remove the screw to the HVAC from under the glove box opening.
45. Remove the HVAC bracket bolt from the glove box opening.
46. Remove the left and right center support brackets. * Left side shown, right side similar.
47. Remove the center floor duct (3).
48. Remove the radio.
49. Remove the two HVAC bolts from the radio opening.
50. Remove the instrument panel assembly.