Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Troubleshooting/Problems

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
BoxerMom9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
BoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond repute
Power steering fluid, red?

Hi everyone, Just wanted to see if I could get a little help. Is the power steering fluid red? Same as trans fluid?

Just had TCM replaced, fluid & filter change. The tcase seal and trans seal replaced. I'm still noticing some red drops on my driveway. They are def new, because I marked the original ones, just in case the leak didnt stop.

Unfortunately, the leak seems to be continuing. I've been reading alot on the forums, and I did noticed when making hard turns, I'm getting a squeal, especially to the left (if it makes a difference). And it seems while driving it's pulling a bit to the right. It has 60k, 2006 V6 3.7L. From what I'm reading it says it ps fluid could be clear, or the same as atf. When I checked underneath the past few days, the trans looks dry. The spots are showing up near the front middle to passenger side, about 2 or 3 drops now & again. And it's a very dark amber/red color.

I'll stop by the trans shop in a few days, but I was wondering, could this be unrelated to the trans? And possibly be the ps pump failing or a ps leak?

I bought it used at 30K, havent changed the fluid yet for the ps. Where would I Look to see if its coming from the ps pump?

TIA for any input.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1458
bmwfanatic is on a distinguished road
Re: Power steering fluid, red?

it is a clear fluid. It is NOT ATF like in most other cars. it's a special part #, I ended up getting some at the dealer to make sure it was the right one.

if your transmission is dry, your ATF leak could be at the trans cooler, mounted near the radiator.
__________________

__________________
Felix
Miami, FL
06 Laredo 3.7 2WD Stone White
mods:boston speakers, nav bezel with aftermarket radio, leather seats, homelink, newer A/C controls, SRT shift knob, chrome instrument cluster rings, overland grill, chrome door mouldings
still on wish list: white door handles; led taillights; SRT or commander steering wheel & airbag.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 PM
BoxerMom9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
BoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power steering fluid, red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfanatic View Post
it is a clear fluid. It is NOT ATF like in most other cars. it's a special part #, I ended up getting some at the dealer to make sure it was the right one.

if your transmission is dry, your ATF leak could be at the trans cooler, mounted near the radiator.

Thank you. Appreciate it!
Trans cooler lines are the only thing not done yet, boo! But ty!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 137
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1556
Drew is on a distinguished road
Have you ever had the o-rings replaced on the main harness for the tranny plug? The location you describe passenger side middle sounds like the tranny plug o-ring area.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
BoxerMom9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
BoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Power steering fluid, red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
Have you ever had the o-rings replaced on the main harness for the tranny plug? The location you describe passenger side middle sounds like the tranny plug o-ring area.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeh, it was done same time as the filter/fluid & tcm. Checked it last night, and the tcase and its not showing any signs of fluid. SO, Im hoping its residual.

I'm really hating this thing....had to replace the battery last sunday, +$150, so up to $1100 since Oct 13th. And when I pulled in last night, the driver side window is now acting like it has a mind of its own. Going up, and then coming back to half way down. So looks like thats next. Tried the hold it up for 2-3secs, then down, even heard the click when it was up, but seems like its gonna need a new regulator/module. Gotta love making payments AND shelling out money to fix a POS!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 AM
Blueflame1979's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 118
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1279
Blueflame1979 is on a distinguished road
Re: Power steering fluid, red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMom9 View Post
Yeh, it was done same time as the filter/fluid & tcm. Checked it last night, and the tcase and its not showing any signs of fluid. SO, Im hoping its residual.

I'm really hating this thing....had to replace the battery last sunday, +$150, so up to $1100 since Oct 13th. And when I pulled in last night, the driver side window is now acting like it has a mind of its own. Going up, and then coming back to half way down. So looks like thats next. Tried the hold it up for 2-3secs, then down, even heard the click when it was up, but seems like its gonna need a new regulator/module. Gotta love making payments AND shelling out money to fix a POS!
Yeah, it sucks!! I know that feeling all too well. Can't really offer advice, but rather some support. I used to freak out when I got new things to get fixed, out of the blue while I'm still making payments on the Jeep and I still do, I just take it alil lighthearted now and thanks to the people in this forum I've been able to pull through. Your Jeep is practically new, but I've heard of people buying brand new vehicles and having major repair problems... Yeap life seems to know the exact time to throw lemons at people. I've came to view my Jeep as big expensive puzzle, so even though sometimes I feel down and out, without a clue I can only embrace what's given to me and be thankful cause it can def. Be worse, a lot worse.
__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Lauredo
4.7 L V8 Monster under the Hood... At least that's what it sounds like.
Close to 68k, so she's an experienced Virgin.. I think..
No Mods yet, IDK where I stand, but I like *O* Big Shiny Wheels *O*
Now, what the hell was I sayin??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2011, 01:13 PM
BoxerMom9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 17
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1108
BoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond reputeBoxerMom9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power steering fluid, red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame1979 View Post
Yeah, it sucks!! I know that feeling all too well. Can't really offer advice, but rather some support. I used to freak out when I got new things to get fixed, out of the blue while I'm still making payments on the Jeep and I still do, I just take it alil lighthearted now and thanks to the people in this forum I've been able to pull through. Your Jeep is practically new, but I've heard of people buying brand new vehicles and having major repair problems... Yeap life seems to know the exact time to throw lemons at people. I've came to view my Jeep as big expensive puzzle, so even though sometimes I feel down and out, without a clue I can only embrace what's given to me and be thankful cause it can def. Be worse, a lot worse.

I totally agree with you. Ive been tossing around the idea of trading it in, but I'm so close to paying it off, and I really dont think 60k is alot of miles, so I'm just gonna stick with it. Problems can happen with any vehicle, so like you, Im just gonna hafta take it in stride. I figure its a learning experience, my friend can help me with alot of the smaller issues (so that is huge) and Im learing alot myself. So, thats always good. And I hate to say it, but it does help to know Im not the only one dealing with it, though I wish none of us had to... What can we do right?! Just roll with it..
Appreciate your input.

Plus... just checked it again this am, its not the trans, cause its all dry under there, SO...thats a very good thing. On to the next...
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power steering fluid Frango100 Troubleshooting/Problems 8 07-13-2013 10:58 PM
Power Steering Fluid 06HemiLtd Grand Cherokee - WK 6 10-15-2011 06:45 PM
How easy is it to change the power steering fluid Blueflame1979 Grand Cherokee - WK 5 10-13-2011 12:19 PM
Power Steering Fluid Leak jasson67 Troubleshooting/Problems 2 10-11-2010 07:41 PM
Does anyone know the capacity for Power Steering fluid? lewi3069 Grand Cherokee - WK 5 09-26-2010 07:15 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community