So I've driven nothing about "imports" all my life. Had an Accord, then another Accord. Then a Tacoma. Then another Tacoma.
It's a 2007 Tacoma 4x4 DoubleCab. Nothing is wrong with it. I just have that itch for something new and well, different. I no longer have a use for a truck at the moment. I may regret getting rid of it, if I do.
I do tow a boat though. Package weight is ~2100lbs. Typically twice a week during spring, summer, and fall. Round trip is ~60miles. I will go camping once or twice a year. Sometimes, on the other side of the Cascades, so it's about ~400miles round trip.
But typically, I just use my vehicle to go from point A to B. Going to work and back. ~4 miles round trip. Put about 9K miles a year. I get crappy MPG(12-13MPG) because of my short trips, but the tank will last me 3 weeks , if all I'm doing is going to work.
If I go all highway using cruise control, I've averaged out 20.xxx MPG. If I tow, with it being 98% highway, I've gotten 15 MPG, which isn't that bad I guess for towing.
Here's what I want:
HID(currently have retros on my Taco)
Would like to have the LSD.
I don't want:
Black exterior. Had 2 black vehicles, that's enough for me.
That air lifting suspension. Seems like just more things to break.
I personally don't have a lot of confidence in the quality of "American" vehicles. Sure it may be based on ignorance and stigmata. But I went down to the local Jeep dealer and man, the Jeeps look very nice in person. Looked at the Limited and Overland. Test drove the 3.6 and Hemi briefly. The wife loved the Limited. When I turned down the sale from salesman, because I was just looking, the wife wanted to trade her car in for it, LOL. Told her she could have a new car and be divorced or keep her car for a little longer, 09 Civic SI.
Anyways, the test drive was short. I really want to test it out for a little bit longer to see if I could decide on the V6 or V8. Yes, the V8 has plenty of power, but I'm trying to see if the V6 is sufficient for my needs. If the dealer had more space, I would pull up my boat in there and tow it around....
Well that's my background, and wow that's a wall of text.
Here's my main concerns and questions.
1. Reliability of JGC? Read plenty of issues about the current models. I'm going to wait for a '15 model, unless I find a heavily discounted late '14 model..... It seems to be mainly electronic gremlins and some issues with the tranny?
2. Packages and prices. I HATE how Jeep does their packages, but I've never bought a brand new vehicle before, so maybe I'm just not accustom to the process. Would be nice to get that new car smell. I would love the HID headlights and LSD, but I don't want to spend $6700 for that. My truck does have an LSD and it's come in handy a couple of times in the rain.
3. Confusion on the 4x4 configuration. Is the JGC full-time 4x4? Or is it selectable like my Tacoma. Also on my Tacoma, I'm supposedly to only activate the 4x4 on loose road conditions. Like in snow or sand or whatever. Otherwise, you can bind your drivetrain and cause damage.
I read a few posts and it seems like people are driving their 4x4 system like an AWD system around quick corners and such.
4. Is the V6 plenty for my needs? I don't really go "Off-roading". Maybe
plow through the snow. Drive on the beach/sand. Go up to the mountains and have to drive through gravel roads.
5. What is this affiliate program price I see mention here. Is it some special and cheapest price possible to get?
6. The warranty and contract service. It's the same thing right? It seems like the going price is $2200 for this and for peace of mind, I think it will be a great investment.