Tune Up - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Troubleshooting/Problems

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 10-13-2014, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 54
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 861
Furyous68 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tune Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps View Post
Ya i dont use the engine cover so i was forced to look at it. Lol
Mine is in pretty good shape, so I don't mind it on there. Plus... it hides the rat's nest

SO... I should have the other two O2 sensors by Wednesday. Should have the catch can tomorrow. One thing I noticed was my throttle body was quite clean. Nothing caked on the blade... just a film on the backside. I wiped it clean with a rag & alcohol. I did forget to do the MAP sensor & will do that Wednesday with the O2 sensors.

I hope this all improves the mileage. If not... I may have to turn around & sell it. I can live with 15mpg city as long as I get around 20 or more on the highway.

For the catch can... the line from the PCV valve goes from the valve to the intake post throttle body. The old PCV had quite a bit of oil build up on it.. so it's obviously passing some oil into the intake. There is another line that comes from between cylinders 1 & 3 that runs to the air box between the filter & throttle body. It seemed to have oil build-up in the line as well. Should I run both of these through the catch can?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 10-13-2014, 02:02 PM
ssgunner's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 950
Thanks: 19
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 1938
ssgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tune Up

That looks like a very good list on the tune up for your jeep. Diff fluid check would also be good.
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 HEMI MAX Steel>Build Date:Oct/13-Mods: Billet CC Blue, Searching for best exhaust option...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 54
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 861
Furyous68 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tune Up

I'm just now doing my O2 sensors.

WHAT A BITCH!

Did they use 8 year old little girls to install these in the factory? I had to contort my body & hands in ways they weren't meant to go. Nothing had anything resembling clear access... let alone enough room to cycle a ratchet, wrench, or any other tool. I used 3 different O2 sensor sockets as well as various 7/8" open & box end wrenches.

Once I loosened the first one (downstream passenger side) it came out & new one installed o.k. The next attempt (downstream driverside) took 2.5 hours to remove. The threads of the sensor were so jacked up. I tried to see if I could get the other one that came out clean to thread into the bung (didn't want to screw up a new sensor), but no go. I need to pick up an M18x1.5 thread chaser tomorrow to clean up the bung threads. The bung steel should be harder than the sensor threads, so the chase should clean out the crap left behind.

Hopefully the upstream sensors go easier. Really don't want any debris falling down into the cats. Any advice on how to get to these without killing myself? You're not supposed to drop the Y pipe to do these, are you?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-16-2014, 02:51 AM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582137
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous68 View Post
I'm just now doing my O2 sensors.

WHAT A BITCH!

Did they use 8 year old little girls to install these in the factory? I had to contort my body & hands in ways they weren't meant to go. Nothing had anything resembling clear access... let alone enough room to cycle a ratchet, wrench, or any other tool. I used 3 different O2 sensor sockets as well as various 7/8" open & box end wrenches.

Once I loosened the first one (downstream passenger side) it came out & new one installed o.k. The next attempt (downstream driverside) took 2.5 hours to remove. The threads of the sensor were so jacked up. I tried to see if I could get the other one that came out clean to thread into the bung (didn't want to screw up a new sensor), but no go. I need to pick up an M18x1.5 thread chaser tomorrow to clean up the bung threads. The bung steel should be harder than the sensor threads, so the chase should clean out the crap left behind.

Hopefully the upstream sensors go easier. Really don't want any debris falling down into the cats. Any advice on how to get to these without killing myself? You're not supposed to drop the Y pipe to do these, are you?
Not just blood sweat and tears man.. buy some PB blaster and spray it on before hand the day before and again a hour before you do it. Should help a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 54
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 861
Furyous68 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tune Up

PB blaster helped... forgot I had a bottle of that in the garage. Got a thread chaser & cleaned up the O2 sensor port. Got all the O2 sensors installed.

New problem. P0032 and really shitty idle. Bank 1 sensor 1 voltage high. All sensors are new NTK's. I connected to the harness after I tightened the sensors to avoid twisting the wires.

I always get confused... Which side is bank 1? I know sensor 1 is the upstream sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582137
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous68 View Post
PB blaster helped... forgot I had a bottle of that in the garage. Got a thread chaser & cleaned up the O2 sensor port. Got all the O2 sensors installed.

New problem. P0032 and really shitty idle. Bank 1 sensor 1 voltage high. All sensors are new NTK's. I connected to the harness after I tightened the sensors to avoid twisting the wires.

I always get confused... Which side is bank 1? I know sensor 1 is the upstream sensor.
Driver side is bank 1.. for the reason its going high voltage is beyond me. Hopefully another member chimes in.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 54
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 861
Furyous68 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tune Up

Thanks Sleeps.

That's the last one I installed then: Driverside upstream. The harness connector was broken previously, it won't click into the connector from the sensor. It still connects, just doesn't lock... that's how it was before, but it didn't throw any codes before. I wonder if I need to replace the whole harness.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582137
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous68 View Post
Thanks Sleeps.

That's the last one I installed then: Driverside upstream. The harness connector was broken previously, it won't click into the connector from the sensor. It still connects, just doesn't lock... that's how it was before, but it didn't throw any codes before. I wonder if I need to replace the whole harness.
Hmmm maybe or see if can close it tighter with zip ties or something to see if thats the real problem. Maybe some clamp?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:09 PM
GoPlzGo's Avatar
formerly 14summithemi
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,146
Thanks: 337
Thanked 559 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 25565
GoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe since it wasn't securely and tightly clicked there is some corrosion in there? Spray some contact cleaner in there and clean with a toothbrush then blow it out with compressed air (can or compressor) and then use contact grease on the contacts. Those connectors have a rubber ring seal to keep elements out so maybe the loose fit is source of issue?
__________________
'15 JGC SRT Bright White Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 54
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 861
Furyous68 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tune Up

I'll see what I can do. The harness on these things were not well thought out in terms of service. I can only get 1 hand on this connector. I was giving thanks that the old one slipped right off. I guess it was a double edged sword since it's probably the reason for the code right now. As far as corrosion, I could see right into the connector & it looked very clean. It was positioned to where I could shine a light right into it, & I checked it for that very reason. High voltage reading would indicate some kind of short... right?

I just can't believe how horribly it ran. All because of one sensor.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:26 PM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582137
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furyous68 View Post
I'll see what I can do. The harness on these things were not well thought out in terms of service. I can only get 1 hand on this connector. I was giving thanks that the old one slipped right off. I guess it was a double edged sword since it's probably the reason for the code right now. As far as corrosion, I could see right into the connector & it looked very clean. It was positioned to where I could shine a light right into it, & I checked it for that very reason. High voltage reading would indicate some kind of short... right?

I just can't believe how horribly it ran. All because of one sensor.
Ya the pre cat sensors dictate alot.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-16-2014, 08:36 PM
GoPlzGo's Avatar
formerly 14summithemi
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,146
Thanks: 337
Thanked 559 Times in 468 Posts
Rep Power: 25565
GoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond repute
If you have an arcing short it could run like poo.
__________________
'15 JGC SRT Bright White Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grern diesel tune vs custom spooling tune fastlane26 Diesel Powered WK Grand Cherokee 2 11-11-2012 11:34 PM
Tune-up question on a WK? iJeep Grand Cherokee - WK 91 11-09-2010 09:28 PM
Custom Tune Reviews tman4024 Performance Modifications 7 08-30-2009 10:35 PM
Diablo Predator and CMR tune Bslagle05 Performance Modifications 2 07-20-2009 04:58 PM
Diablo Custom Tune jeepfan30 Performance Modifications 4 06-06-2009 01:32 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.