Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #7201  
Old 07-06-2014, 12:54 AM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Songwon, South Korea
Posts: 5,840
Thanks: 146
Thanked 253 Times in 243 Posts
Rep Power: 12524
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex47er View Post
Uhem I might go through the same thing ! Haha
But isnt your jeep RWD like mine? If it is you dont have cv shafts
__________________

__________________
2008 JGC, Grey Stone Metallic SRT-6
MODS-http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/project-six-shooter-build-thread-68955.html
Reply With Quote
  #7202  
Old 07-06-2014, 01:02 AM
greenwayer's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 6.4L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 59
Thanked 119 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 9467
greenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
But isnt your jeep RWD like mine? If it is you dont have cv shafts

I dented thisImageUploadedByJeepGarage1404626535.178402.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________

__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L (The beast) (Fastest lifted WK) The Sparkly Build
2012 BMW X5 Turbo'ed (The b*tch)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L (Ol' reliable)
Reply With Quote
  #7203  
Old 07-06-2014, 01:53 AM
Rkirk's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4945
Rkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post
I dented thisAttachment 41954


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Where's the damage? Can't quite see it in the pic. The seal is the inner most ring, outward of that isn't super critical if it's just a small ding. If there's any material protruding past the surface plane that looks as if it may interfere with the cv, it'd be a good idea to file it back down or flatten it with a ball peen so it doesn't rub and eventually produce metal shavings that could destroy the seal. Remember to always mind the seal when working around it, it's paramount that it stays intact.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7204  
Old 07-06-2014, 02:07 AM
greenwayer's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 6.4L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 59
Thanked 119 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 9467
greenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkirk View Post
Where's the damage? Can't quite see it in the pic. The seal is the inner most ring, outward of that isn't super critical if it's just a small ding. If there's any material protruding past the surface plane that looks as if it may interfere with the cv, it'd be a good idea to file it back down or flatten it with a ball peen so it doesn't rub and eventually produce metal shavings that could destroy the seal. Remember to always mind the seal when working around it, it's paramount that it stays intact.

Sorry those are not my pics, just some I posted so Jeff could see what I was talking about with him. These are mine. Looks like I'll have to replace it if I don't want it to leak for sureImageUploadedByJeepGarage1404630400.176455.jpgImageUploadedByJeepGarage1404630410.774898.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L (The beast) (Fastest lifted WK) The Sparkly Build
2012 BMW X5 Turbo'ed (The b*tch)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L (Ol' reliable)
Reply With Quote
  #7205  
Old 07-06-2014, 04:15 AM
Rkirk's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4945
Rkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post
Sorry those are not my pics, just some I posted so Jeff could see what I was talking about with him. These are mine. Looks like I'll have to replace it if I don't want it to leak for sureAttachment 41955Attachment 41956


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Yeah bro, seal's smoked for sure! Need to replace it without a doubt, that'll leak like crazy...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7206  
Old 07-06-2014, 04:17 AM
Rkirk's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4945
Rkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post
Sorry those are not my pics, just some I posted so Jeff could see what I was talking about with him. These are mine. Looks like I'll have to replace it if I don't want it to leak for sureAttachment 41955Attachment 41956


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Do you know how to replace the seal? It can be done without the seal driver tool but is easy to mess up that way if you're not familiar with it. Main objective is to drive it squarely to desired depth.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rkirk For This Useful Post:
  #7207  
Old 07-06-2014, 10:23 AM
greenwayer's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 6.4L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 59
Thanked 119 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 9467
greenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkirk View Post
Do you know how to replace the seal? It can be done without the seal driver tool but is easy to mess up that way if you're not familiar with it. Main objective is to drive it squarely to desired depth.

No I have no idea bro. How do I get the old one out and put the new one in?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L (The beast) (Fastest lifted WK) The Sparkly Build
2012 BMW X5 Turbo'ed (The b*tch)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L (Ol' reliable)
Reply With Quote
  #7208  
Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Rkirk's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4945
Rkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post
No I have no idea bro. How do I get the old one out and put the new one in?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Old one can be pulled out with a screw driver or small prybar/crowsfoot, just insert your tool of choice through the center extending to the wall of the tube so you're under the body of the seal. Using caution not to gouge the wall too bad, rest the shaft of the prybar 180 from your contact point under the seal and apply direct inward pressure. The seal is just a metal ring frame with a rubber inner diameter, the O.D. of the seal is about 1/1000" smaller than the I.D. of the tube in question. The seal will most likely be deformed and tweaked once you remove it so be sure you've got the right part before tearing it down. You may have to go around a few times making contact at different points to get it all the way out but eventually it'll let go. Just make sure you don't gouge the case too bad, you'll likely put a scratch or two on it and that's expected, just don't push too hard towards the case and make a deep gouge, that could cause a leak around the outside of the seal. You can use a small piece of 2x4 if you want when installing the new seal to help you apply direct and even pressure, get the seal started and then rest the block on top and tap directly above the seal and strike squarely so it doesn't go in off-cant. You want the seal flush with the case when you're done. Good luck man, it's not too tough, you can do it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rkirk For This Useful Post:
  #7209  
Old 07-06-2014, 12:56 PM
greenwayer's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 6.4L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 59
Thanked 119 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 9467
greenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex47er View Post
Uhem I might go through the same thing ! Haha

Alex you thinking of converting to 4wd?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L (The beast) (Fastest lifted WK) The Sparkly Build
2012 BMW X5 Turbo'ed (The b*tch)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L (Ol' reliable)
Reply With Quote
  #7210  
Old 07-06-2014, 01:08 PM
greenwayer's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 6.4L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,641
Thanks: 59
Thanked 119 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 9467
greenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkirk View Post
Old one can be pulled out with a screw driver or small prybar/crowsfoot, just insert your tool of choice through the center extending to the wall of the tube so you're under the body of the seal. Using caution not to gouge the wall too bad, rest the shaft of the prybar 180 from your contact point under the seal and apply direct inward pressure. The seal is just a metal ring frame with a rubber inner diameter, the O.D. of the seal is about 1/1000" smaller than the I.D. of the tube in question. The seal will most likely be deformed and tweaked once you remove it so be sure you've got the right part before tearing it down. You may have to go around a few times making contact at different points to get it all the way out but eventually it'll let go. Just make sure you don't gouge the case too bad, you'll likely put a scratch or two on it and that's expected, just don't push too hard towards the case and make a deep gouge, that could cause a leak around the outside of the seal. You can use a small piece of 2x4 if you want when installing the new seal to help you apply direct and even pressure, get the seal started and then rest the block on top and tap directly above the seal and strike squarely so it doesn't go in off-cant. You want the seal flush with the case when you're done. Good luck man, it's not too tough, you can do it.

So just pry it out with a pry tool from behind and push it out wards? In the past I have used a socket the size of the seal and a mallet to tap in the new seal. What do you think of this technique. Also I pulled out this spring type band and I'm not sure where it goesImageUploadedByJeepGarage1404670082.252868.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L (The beast) (Fastest lifted WK) The Sparkly Build
2012 BMW X5 Turbo'ed (The b*tch)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L (Ol' reliable)
Reply With Quote
  #7211  
Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Rkirk's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bend, OR
Posts: 305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 4945
Rkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond reputeRkirk has a reputation beyond repute
What did you do to your WK today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenwayer View Post
So just pry it out with a pry tool from behind and push it out wards? In the past I have used a socket the size of the seal and a mallet to tap in the new seal. What do you think of this technique. Also I pulled out this spring type band and I'm not sure where it goesAttachment 41959


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Yep, the objective is to pull it straight out of the case, prying, pulling, slide hammer if you feel so inclined... however you get there is fine as long as you don't dig into the case too much.

A socket that fits the O.D. Is great, better than a block of wood, wasn't sure you had a socket that big. If you do that, using a small extension from the socket will all but guarantee a centered strike and drive.(that's pretty much what a seal driving kit is) That coiled ring is the inner workings of the seal, it's the spring that keeps the rubber contacted to the rotating surface that it's sealing. It usually stays with the seal but when you're playing Hulk occasionally it'll come free, toss it with the old seal.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rkirk For This Useful Post:
  #7212  
Old 07-06-2014, 01:58 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 156
RandomActs13x is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: What did you do to your WK today?

I decided to take the engine cover off my jeep while it is sitting at the body shop and paint it up a little bit to go with my color scheme. First time painting where I had to tape off sections. I think it turned out pretty cool
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hemi Engine Cover.jpg (87.4 KB, 14 views)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

« Custom head lights | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got Schooled today by a V QuickOne Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK 79 06-27-2011 10:28 PM
Totaled the WJ today bill38jeep Grand Cherokee - WJ 40 11-23-2010 08:39 AM
What can I do today??? Bslagle05 Detailing 47 06-23-2009 04:15 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community