2005 WK Hemi headers - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 754
mtmule6 is on a distinguished road
2005 WK Hemi headers

Question: I've heard of some people getting Durango headers (shorties or logs) to fit on their 05 WK Hemi. Is there any credibility to that claim? I've found a set of 2005 Durango 5.7 Gibson logs for about $530, and JBA shorties for about $750 (Summit Racing). I want more low-end power, and if these fit, they'd be perfect, especially if they're a bolt-on mod I can do myself. I remember reading mention of having to dent the passenger side of the firewall about 3 inches to get the shorty headers to fit; I'd rather not have to do that. If the logs will work with my current custom setup, I have no qualms about springing for a set of those, particularly if I don't need to make any other modifications.
I'll be chatting with the shop about it, obviously, but I was wondering if any of you lads/lasses had any experience with using headers made for the '05 Durango.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 PM
macmac's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CenCoast Cali
Posts: 215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 68950
macmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond reputemacmac has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 WK Hemi headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmule6 View Post
Question: I've heard of some people getting Durango headers (shorties or logs) to fit on their 05 WK Hemi. Is there any credibility to that claim? I've found a set of 2005 Durango 5.7 Gibson logs for about $530, and JBA shorties for about $750 (Summit Racing). I want more low-end power, and if these fit, they'd be perfect, especially if they're a bolt-on mod I can do myself. I remember reading mention of having to dent the passenger side of the firewall about 3 inches to get the shorty headers to fit; I'd rather not have to do that. If the logs will work with my current custom setup, I have no qualms about springing for a set of those, particularly if I don't need to make any other modifications.
I'll be chatting with the shop about it, obviously, but I was wondering if any of you lads/lasses had any experience with using headers made for the '05 Durango.
dont quote me on this, but i think a member on here did this, and it required alot of modification "that he would never do again"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 754
mtmule6 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2005 WK Hemi headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
dont quote me on this, but i think a member on here did this, and it required alot of modification "that he would never do again"
Yeah, I kinda got the impression that it was way more trouble than it's worth.
I've heard that the OBX headers for the 2006 SRT8 do fit without any modifications. Is that correct?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2015, 06:47 PM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582140
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmule6 View Post
Yeah, I kinda got the impression that it was way more trouble than it's worth.
I've heard that the OBX headers for the 2006 SRT8 do fit without any modifications. Is that correct?
A little... 05 to 07 just need cut out a little of the flange for the egr hole. Its nothing hard. Then the dip stick needs to be replaced with a 6.1 or just bend it to clear everything. I choose to bend the shit out of it and my stick sits around the edge of the battery box. Then you'll need some new mids. If you have an 08 to 10 then you'll need to trim a little off the transmission housing form what another person who did the install said. I have an 05 so never ran into the problem.

Its the install that is a pain in the ass.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sleeps For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,011
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 8907
dmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond reputedmsfun has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 WK Hemi headers

IF you want more low end, I suggest to go a different route than headers. I hated mine too, and love the low end on my 5.7 now, hauls butt with catch can, 85mm TB, Apexi, and Hemifever CMR tune. Night and day better versus stock which was awful. These are very easy to install mods anyone can do in no time, for less money than headers.
__________________
2006 GC Overland QD II
5.7 Hemi, Modern Muscle 85 mm CNC ported TB, Apexi super voltage stabilizer, Billet Tech. Catch Can, Koni FSD shocks/struts, SRT8 sway bars, Cooper Discoverer SRX 255/65/17, Amsoil fluids, Diablosport Intune CMR tuned by Hemifever tuning.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:27 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 754
mtmule6 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2005 WK Hemi headers

Yeah, I have a Moe's 87mm that I haven't installed yet. I also have a Hypertech tuner that I got on clearance from Summit. Haven't used it yet, either. I've been focusing on minor issues like paint chips, and a tear in the driver's seat. I'll definitely do that stuff first. I've heard good things about the Moe's TB. Once I'm done with that stuff, I'll figure out whether or not to get headers.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-21-2015, 06:36 PM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582140
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfun View Post
IF you want more low end, I suggest to go a different route than headers. I hated mine too, and love the low end on my 5.7 now, hauls butt with catch can, 85mm TB, Apexi, and Hemifever CMR tune. Night and day better versus stock which was awful. These are very easy to install mods anyone can do in no time, for less money than headers.
Your saying the logs are better?.... my headers are probably the best part of my jeep and will further add benefit when i start modding my engine. Low end comes back with a proper tune to make the real use of them..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,847
Thanks: 393
Thanked 652 Times in 587 Posts
Rep Power: 324059
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2005 WK Hemi headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfun View Post
IF you want more low end, I suggest to go a different route than headers. I hated mine too, and love the low end on my 5.7 now, hauls butt with catch can, 85mm TB, Apexi, and Hemifever CMR tune. Night and day better versus stock which was awful. These are very easy to install mods anyone can do in no time, for less money than headers.
GTFO with that crap!

first off, the op never even mentioned low end so toss that out the window. headers are a tried and true way to gain power. in fact,, they are considered one of the best power mods you can buy. I challenge you to show me a dyno sheet that loses power. a legit dyno sheet.

I have track data to prove a good intake and exhaust will gain power and speed. and like sleeps said, a tune will make the headers work better then no tune..

prove me wrong. I dare you
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2015, 09:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 754
mtmule6 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2005 WK Hemi headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps View Post
Your saying the logs are better?.... my headers are probably the best part of my jeep and will further add benefit when i start modding my engine. Low end comes back with a proper tune to make the real use of them..
Nope, I know logs aren't better than proper headers, but I would use them instead of a custom job if I could do a direct bolt-on. Sounds like I wouldn't be able to, then, so it's back to OBX headers from eBay. 😜

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
GTFO with that crap!

first off, the op never even mentioned low end so toss that out the window. headers are a tried and true way to gain power. in fact,, they are considered one of the best power mods you can buy. I challenge you to show me a dyno sheet that loses power. a legit dyno sheet.

I have track data to prove a good intake and exhaust will gain power and speed. and like sleeps said, a tune will make the headers work better then no tune..

prove me wrong. I dare you
I did actually mention low-end power in my third sentence. 😊
Basically I would sacrifice a little power for ease of installation, but it sounds like the logs for the Durango won't fit.
Long tubes it is! lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,847
Thanks: 393
Thanked 652 Times in 587 Posts
Rep Power: 324059
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmule6 View Post
Nope, I know logs aren't better than proper headers, but I would use them instead of a custom job if I could do a direct bolt-on. Sounds like I wouldn't be able to, then, so it's back to OBX headers from eBay. ?de1c

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------


I did actually mention low-end power in my third sentence. ?de0a
Basically I would sacrifice a little power for ease of installation, but it sounds like the logs for the Durango won't fit.
Long tubes it is! lol
Get the long tubes and a tune. You'll see...
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582140
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmule6 View Post
Nope, I know logs aren't better than proper headers, but I would use them instead of a custom job if I could do a direct bolt-on. Sounds like I wouldn't be able to, then, so it's back to OBX headers from eBay. ?de1c

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------


I did actually mention low-end power in my third sentence. ?de0a
Basically I would sacrifice a little power for ease of installation, but it sounds like the logs for the Durango won't fit.
Long tubes it is! lol
We weren't quoting you. It was more towards dmsfun. I have the obx headers on and smile every time i turn her over. The LTs added power all along the power brand but without a custom tune its more towards the top end.

Another option is the jeep 6.1 srt shorties. Bolt right on but need the same mod with egr. Both are major improvements over the hemis logs
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-21-2015, 10:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 94
Thanks: 17
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 754
mtmule6 is on a distinguished road
Re: 2005 WK Hemi headers

Oh, I always thought that more free-flowing header gave you power along the whole band, but especially in the low RPM's.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
headers, hemi

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where can I find headers for a 4.7 2005 wk korrupt_jeep Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 9 06-29-2016 06:49 PM
5.7 headers, 5.7 headers..... five.7 Hemi Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 15 09-13-2012 10:58 AM
Hemi 5.7 WK Headers jeepgcoman Grand Cherokee - WK 27 02-19-2011 05:27 PM
5.7L hemi headers hemi.jon Grand Cherokee - WK 19 09-28-2010 09:51 AM
Doug Thorley "free experimental headers" for Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi charteroak_2000 Performance Modifications 2 12-24-2009 05:10 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.