Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1093  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1292
Electronut is on a distinguished road
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
The 3.7 wont handle it otherwise i would be s/c'd by now lol. She needs a rebuild first
What I meant was to invest in the SRT8 THEN get the SC ! Money better spent !
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1094  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1292
Electronut is on a distinguished road
Re: 3.7l performance love

Ok well I got the Mishimoto MMTS-JGC-99L Racing Thermostat for the 3.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee installed.

I also got my Hyperteck Tune done as mentioned and also went back into the tune to adjust for this 180 degree F thermostat. The tuner allows you to adjust for 3 fan control settings 180, 195 F stat installs and stock setting which really is the 195 F setting so don't get that.

Off the cuff I notice the temp gauge in the Jeep is and stays a few ticks lower. So in between or slightly lower than 2nd line and midway mark. Heat in the truck is still very warm and unaffected by the stat change. Truck runs as it always did.

Fan now very quickly after starting the truck runs at full tilt and almost seems to stay fully engaged so don't know if that's ok. Albeit the result most certainly of the Hypertech tune. With the fan blowing that hard it will certainly keep the temp for coolant in the rad low all the time. I really don't see how necessary that will be outside of the Summer season. It may be over the top and could also overwork and fry the fan motor out sooner than necessary. I may need to see about that option on the tuner and just go back to stock and let the thermostat do its thing independently. It was a cool 58 degrees f outside just now as I ran the Jeep and went for a little test run. Very simple to change the thermostat in the 3.7 motor. The Mishimoto even came with it's own gasket so I didn't need to even pick one up at Advance Auto. I just wanted to be prepared.

So all my engine mods are now:

K&N CAI
Fastman ported TB
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Hyperteck tune using regular 87 octane gas

After I blow through this tank of regular gas though I will try out the premium tune which is for 91 octane or better an throw in a tank of 93 which I have never done before. It's only a few percentage points better for HP and Torque but interested to check out to see if I can feel the difference. I know these motors don't usually like higher octane and prefer 87 but tuning for it I would gather will be the exception and ok with no adverse effects.

The other Hyperteck adjustments I made in my tune were speedo and tach adjustment for my 20 inch wheels and tires. Speedo has been off since I changed them from the original 17 inch oem wheels. RPM limiter/increaser I went to +300 rpm. The max is +500. I feel the engine roar more in each gear and when shifts you feel the torque explode more and smoothly into the next gear especially after 4000 rpm. Top Speed limiter changed to 149 mph - V rated tires which I have installed. And of course the fan speed change with the 180 degree f stat I installed. There is the option for gear change but I have the stock gearing in my Jeep so left as is.

I have a long road trip tomorrow for work and will be driving all day so I will see how we do tomorrow.

Are there any other smaller jobs and not over the top mods I can still do to get more out of it? Forget cams and any other major motor work. I am not going to go that far with this WK as it already has a lot of miles and I expect to get a lot more use out of it. Im not racing the damn thing but just want to get some more get up and go out of it without putting too much more money into.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1095  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:27 AM
Alex47er's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,597
Thanks: 75
Thanked 151 Times in 143 Posts
Rep Power: 167524
Alex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronut View Post
Ok well I got the Mishimoto MMTS-JGC-99L Racing Thermostat for the 3.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee installed.

I also got my Hyperteck Tune done as mentioned and also went back into the tune to adjust for this 180 degree F thermostat. The tuner allows you to adjust for 3 fan control settings 180, 195 F stat installs and stock setting which really is the 195 F setting so don't get that.

Off the cuff I notice the temp gauge in the Jeep is and stays a few ticks lower. So in between or slightly lower than 2nd line and midway mark. Heat in the truck is still very warm and unaffected by the stat change. Truck runs as it always did.

Fan now very quickly after starting the truck runs at full tilt and almost seems to stay fully engaged so don't know if that's ok. Albeit the result most certainly of the Hypertech tune. With the fan blowing that hard it will certainly keep the temp for coolant in the rad low all the time. I really don't see how necessary that will be outside of the Summer season. It may be over the top and could also overwork and fry the fan motor out sooner than necessary. I may need to see about that option on the tuner and just go back to stock and let the thermostat do its thing independently. It was a cool 58 degrees f outside just now as I ran the Jeep and went for a little test run. Very simple to change the thermostat in the 3.7 motor. The Mishimoto even came with it's own gasket so I didn't need to even pick one up at Advance Auto. I just wanted to be prepared.

So all my engine mods are now:

K&N CAI
Fastman ported TB
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Hyperteck tune using regular 87 octane gas

After I blow through this tank of regular gas though I will try out the premium tune which is for 91 octane or better an throw in a tank of 93 which I have never done before. It's only a few percentage points better for HP and Torque but interested to check out to see if I can feel the difference. I know these motors don't usually like higher octane and prefer 87 but tuning for it I would gather will be the exception and ok with no adverse effects.

The other Hyperteck adjustments I made in my tune were speedo and tach adjustment for my 20 inch wheels and tires. Speedo has been off since I changed them from the original 17 inch oem wheels. RPM limiter/increaser I went to +300 rpm. The max is +500. I feel the engine roar more in each gear and when shifts you feel the torque explode more and smoothly into the next gear especially after 4000 rpm. Top Speed limiter changed to 149 mph - V rated tires which I have installed. And of course the fan speed change with the 180 degree f stat I installed. There is the option for gear change but I have the stock gearing in my Jeep so left as is.

I have a long road trip tomorrow for work and will be driving all day so I will see how we do tomorrow.

Are there any other smaller jobs and not over the top mods I can still do to get more out of it? Forget cams and any other major motor work. I am not going to go that far with this WK as it already has a lot of miles and I expect to get a lot more use out of it. Im not racing the damn thing but just want to get some more get up and go out of it without putting too much more money into.
Max energy programmer right? Have you gone all out like punching the gas? I've been debating it but still waiting to fix my exhaust then headers then most likely this!
__________________
2006 Jeep 3.7 JGC RT6

Too many mods to list just check out my build THREAD !
Reply With Quote
  #1096  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:28 AM
BlackN'Blue's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,516
Thanks: 219
Thanked 60 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 3843
BlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond reputeBlackN'Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronut View Post
Ok well I got the Mishimoto MMTS-JGC-99L Racing Thermostat for the 3.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee installed.

I also got my Hyperteck Tune done as mentioned and also went back into the tune to adjust for this 180 degree F thermostat. The tuner allows you to adjust for 3 fan control settings 180, 195 F stat installs and stock setting which really is the 195 F setting so don't get that.

Off the cuff I notice the temp gauge in the Jeep is and stays a few ticks lower. So in between or slightly lower than 2nd line and midway mark. Heat in the truck is still very warm and unaffected by the stat change. Truck runs as it always did.

Fan now very quickly after starting the truck runs at full tilt and almost seems to stay fully engaged so don't know if that's ok. Albeit the result most certainly of the Hypertech tune. With the fan blowing that hard it will certainly keep the temp for coolant in the rad low all the time. I really don't see how necessary that will be outside of the Summer season. It may be over the top and could also overwork and fry the fan motor out sooner than necessary. I may need to see about that option on the tuner and just go back to stock and let the thermostat do its thing independently. It was a cool 58 degrees f outside just now as I ran the Jeep and went for a little test run. Very simple to change the thermostat in the 3.7 motor. The Mishimoto even came with it's own gasket so I didn't need to even pick one up at Advance Auto. I just wanted to be prepared.

So all my engine mods are now:

K&N CAI
Fastman ported TB
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Hyperteck tune using regular 87 octane gas

After I blow through this tank of regular gas though I will try out the premium tune which is for 91 octane or better an throw in a tank of 93 which I have never done before. It's only a few percentage points better for HP and Torque but interested to check out to see if I can feel the difference. I know these motors don't usually like higher octane and prefer 87 but tuning for it I would gather will be the exception and ok with no adverse effects.

The other Hyperteck adjustments I made in my tune were speedo and tach adjustment for my 20 inch wheels and tires. Speedo has been off since I changed them from the original 17 inch oem wheels. RPM limiter/increaser I went to +300 rpm. The max is +500. I feel the engine roar more in each gear and when shifts you feel the torque explode more and smoothly into the next gear especially after 4000 rpm. Top Speed limiter changed to 149 mph - V rated tires which I have installed. And of course the fan speed change with the 180 degree f stat I installed. There is the option for gear change but I have the stock gearing in my Jeep so left as is.

I have a long road trip tomorrow for work and will be driving all day so I will see how we do tomorrow.

Are there any other smaller jobs and not over the top mods I can still do to get more out of it? Forget cams and any other major motor work. I am not going to go that far with this WK as it already has a lot of miles and I expect to get a lot more use out of it. Im not racing the damn thing but just want to get some more get up and go out of it without putting too much more money into.
Good stuff man! Have you looked into headers? Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it can't hurt. But i believe its a PITA to install.
Reply With Quote
  #1097  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:37 AM
Alex47er's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,597
Thanks: 75
Thanked 151 Times in 143 Posts
Rep Power: 167524
Alex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackN'Blue View Post
Good stuff man! Have you looked into headers? Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it can't hurt. But i believe its a PITA to install.
I think headers are on our list haha

I want to tune mine I might go with this programmer
__________________
2006 Jeep 3.7 JGC RT6

Too many mods to list just check out my build THREAD !
Reply With Quote
  #1098  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:54 AM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Songwon, South Korea
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 133
Thanked 239 Times in 229 Posts
Rep Power: 12170
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Deff. Get the headers guys. That 3k and up pull tho
__________________
2008 JGC, Grey Stone Metallic SRT-6
MODS-http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/project-six-shooter-build-thread-68955.html
Reply With Quote
  #1099  
Old 08-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1292
Electronut is on a distinguished road
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackN'Blue View Post
Good stuff man! Have you looked into headers? Not sure how much of a difference it makes, but it can't hurt. But i believe its a PITA to install.
I read up here but after reading this thread Im not really so sure if there is a benefit of going with headers.

3.7 WK Headers install pics and hints
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1100  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 AM
Alex47er's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,597
Thanks: 75
Thanked 151 Times in 143 Posts
Rep Power: 167524
Alex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
Deff. Get the headers guys. That 3k and up pull tho
Jeff you know if FR is still doing tunes?
__________________
2006 Jeep 3.7 JGC RT6

Too many mods to list just check out my build THREAD !
Reply With Quote
  #1101  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:03 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northwest NJ
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1292
Electronut is on a distinguished road
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex47er View Post
Max energy programmer right? Have you gone all out like punching the gas? I've been debating it but still waiting to fix my exhaust then headers then most likely this!
You got it brother. This one.

Error - Hypertech

I got a great deal on it from an Ebay seller in Indonesia. Wasn't sure if I should take the chance but did and turned out great. Got is delivered to my house in less than a week and cost me $249 with free shipping.

I have punched it. You benefit from the tune after 3000-3500 rpm. Unfortunately our motors just don't have the off the line torque I wish they had.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1102  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:09 AM
Alex47er's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,597
Thanks: 75
Thanked 151 Times in 143 Posts
Rep Power: 167524
Alex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond reputeAlex47er has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronut View Post
You got it brother. This one.

Error - Hypertech

I got a great deal on it from an Ebay seller in Indonesia. Wasn't sure if I should take the chance but did and turned out great. Got is delivered to my house in less than a week and cost me $249 with free shipping.

I have punched it. You benefit from the tune after 3000-3500 rpm. Unfortunately our motors just don't have the off the line torque I wish they had.
I know Jeff might have found a slight delete to that problem using a ATI Pulley I would ask him for more info he's the go to guy lol

And thanks I'm debating either that or a SCT tuner and sending it to hemi fever or FR that why I asked Jeff if he's still doing tunes
__________________
2006 Jeep 3.7 JGC RT6

Too many mods to list just check out my build THREAD !
Reply With Quote
  #1103  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:10 AM
greenwayer's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 6.4L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sunny California
Posts: 2,474
Thanks: 53
Thanked 107 Times in 94 Posts
Rep Power: 9269
greenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond reputegreenwayer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 3.7l performance love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex47er View Post
I know Jeff might have found a slight delete to that problem using a ATI Pulley I would ask him for more info he's the go to guy lol

And thanks I'm debating either that or a SCT tuner and sending it to hemi fever or FR that why I asked Jeff if he's still doing tunes

Hemi fever tunes 3.7's?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 6.4L (The beast) (Fastest lifted WK) The Sparkly Build
2012 BMW X5 Turbo'ed (The b*tch)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L (Ol' reliable)
Reply With Quote
  #1104  
Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Songwon, South Korea
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 133
Thanked 239 Times in 229 Posts
Rep Power: 12170
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronut View Post

I read up here but after reading this thread Im not really so sure if there is a benefit of going with headers.

3.7 WK Headers install pics and hints
Are you basically saying that because some one didnt read the warning about using exhaust wrap? Ive been running them over two years now with no issues. Ive picked up 3 tenths of a sec. in the 8th mile and my fuel mileage has improved. If you take a good look at the stock manifolds you will see how bad they are in comparison to headers.
__________________

__________________
2008 JGC, Grey Stone Metallic SRT-6
MODS-http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/project-six-shooter-build-thread-68955.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CAI Intake Performance and Performance Chip White Chocolate Performance Modifications 25 02-14-2011 09:12 PM
I might not know anything about performance but I know what love is... 99limited Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK 12 01-24-2010 08:39 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community