Exhaust manifold/header differences - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2006 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Home of the Mountain Blue Bird
Posts: 1,305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 156092
jeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond repute
Exhaust manifold/header differences

For any that may be interested, this is the first time I've had one of my custom headers off the vehicle (flange gaskets, new bolts w/Nord-Lock wedge washers and crack repairs), so I did a little comparing and also "fit check" a Hemi LX exhaust log onto a WK. A few years back I did a thread on the differences between the Hemi WK and LX exhaust logs and figured it would be worth a try to see if the LX'ers would fit the WK. See this thread: A better exhaust system for the 5.7 WK?? First I'll say that I thought they might fit but, unfortunately they won't. The problem is in the collector area, not the actual "log" area where I thought there might be a problem. The collector is at the wrong angle and hits the frame. So, although it was a good thought, it's for sure a no go, which means back to the drawing board to find a better log/header for our WK's besides the stock 6.1 setup.

Here are a couple pix of a stock WK log manifold, a stock LX log manifold, and my custom header. All are from the passenger side. Note the big differences in collector size....from left to right, and also the runners (primaries) in the logs vs. the header. The stock WK (smallest one) is 1 3/4 in., the LX is 2 5/8 in., and the custom header is 3 in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P10104601 (755 x 565).jpg (98.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg P10104641 (755 x 565).jpg (98.0 KB, 27 views)

__________________
05 LX/RT & 06 WK/GCO, modded similarly, MDS "ON" Light, Vortex Gens, Debadged, DashHawk, BT Catch Can, SRT CAI W/Add Air Inlet, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tuning App, DS Tuner, Cust tube headers w/3 in. catback, Bilsteins, SRT frt/rear bumpers, Eibach SRT Lwr Sprgs & Sways, FRI Sidewinder Cam Adv 2*, 6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK 90mm TB, SOS Coils/.060 plug gaps. 20 in. SRT Reps.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeepgcoman For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-29-2016, 07:37 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,943
Thanks: 417
Thanked 663 Times in 595 Posts
Rep Power: 340009
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgcoman View Post
For any that may be interested, this is the first time I've had one of my custom headers off the vehicle (flange gaskets, new bolts w/Nord-Lock wedge washers and crack repairs), so I did a little comparing and also "fit check" a Hemi LX exhaust log onto a WK. A few years back I did a thread on the differences between the Hemi WK and LX exhaust logs and figured it would be worth a try to see if the LX'ers would fit the WK. See this thread: A better exhaust system for the 5.7 WK?? First I'll say that I thought they might fit but, unfortunately they won't. The problem is in the collector area, not the actual "log" area where I thought there might be a problem. The collector is at the wrong angle and hits the frame. So, although it was a good thought, it's for sure a no go, which means back to the drawing board to find a better log/header for our WK's besides the stock 6.1 setup.

Here are a couple pix of a stock WK log manifold, a stock LX log manifold, and my custom header. All are from the passenger side. Note the big differences in collector size....from left to right, and also the runners (primaries) in the logs vs. the header. The stock WK (smallest one) is 1 3/4 in., the LX is 2 5/8 in., and the custom header is 3 in.
Nice comparison man!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 720
IN10SS is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust manifold/header differences

Nice work and thanks for showing the differences. I was hoping this thread would take off into some possible new territory and give us a cost effective upgrade path. The stock exhaust is such a performance killer and there just doesn't seem to be any reasonable answer. I applaud the original premise and the follow thru Now we know.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2006 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Home of the Mountain Blue Bird
Posts: 1,305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 156092
jeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust manifold/header differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN10SS View Post
Nice work and thanks for showing the differences. I was hoping this thread would take off into some possible new territory and give us a cost effective upgrade path. The stock exhaust is such a performance killer and there just doesn't seem to be any reasonable answer. I applaud the original premise and the follow thru Now we know.
Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any reasonably priced options for an efficient cat. forward setup. I guess, if someone could check/research some of the other Hemi equipped Rams, Durangos, etc. there might be one that could fit or be modified to fit, but the price would probably still be out of sight.

I have come to the conclusion that, if mine crack again and become unrepairable, I'll first try to get a new set built using mine as a pattern, or opt for some SRT's. The exhaust shop (that fixed the cracks) said they wouldn't touch mine if it had long tubes on it, and it's all because of the smog nazi's. He said they'd face big fines or possible shut down if they got caught doing that. I guess I could take a welding class, buy a welder, and try to do them myself, because I know to even have new ones built using mine as a pattern would still cost more than they did five years ago. I do know for sure that, based on the improvements they've made, I'll never be without headers again, probably no matter what the price ends up to be.
__________________
05 LX/RT & 06 WK/GCO, modded similarly, MDS "ON" Light, Vortex Gens, Debadged, DashHawk, BT Catch Can, SRT CAI W/Add Air Inlet, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tuning App, DS Tuner, Cust tube headers w/3 in. catback, Bilsteins, SRT frt/rear bumpers, Eibach SRT Lwr Sprgs & Sways, FRI Sidewinder Cam Adv 2*, 6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK 90mm TB, SOS Coils/.060 plug gaps. 20 in. SRT Reps.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepgcoman For This Useful Post:
  #5  
Old 02-10-2016, 10:09 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,943
Thanks: 417
Thanked 663 Times in 595 Posts
Rep Power: 340009
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgcoman View Post

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any reasonably priced options for an efficient cat. forward setup. I guess, if someone could check/research some of the other Hemi equipped Rams, Durangos, etc. there might be one that could fit or be modified to fit, but the price would probably still be out of sight.

I have come to the conclusion that, if mine crack again and become unrepairable, I'll first try to get a new set built using mine as a pattern, or opt for some SRT's. The exhaust shop (that fixed the cracks) said they wouldn't touch mine if it had long tubes on it, and it's all because of the smog nazi's. He said they'd face big fines or possible shut down if they got caught doing that. I guess I could take a welding class, buy a welder, and try to do them myself, because I know to even have new ones built using mine as a pattern would still cost more than they did five years ago. I do know for sure that, based on the improvements they've made, I'll never be without headers again, probably no matter what the price ends up to be.
Could just send em my way, I'll weld em up
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 720
IN10SS is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust manifold/header differences

" I do know for sure that, based on the improvements they've made, I'll never be without headers again, probably no matter what the price ends up to be. "
This is the kicker for me. I keep looking because there is so much to be gained and the hot rodder in me can't resist the urge to upgrade. Maybe it's good that there isn't a good answer; it keeps me from over-spending on my daily driver. ha ha.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-2016, 03:04 PM
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2006 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Home of the Mountain Blue Bird
Posts: 1,305
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 156092
jeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond reputejeepgcoman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust manifold/header differences

Quote:
Originally Posted by IN10SS View Post
This is the kicker for me. I keep looking because there is so much to be gained and the hot rodder in me can't resist the urge to upgrade. Maybe it's good that there isn't a good answer; it keeps me from over-spending on my daily driver. ha ha.
Yes, it's easy to "over spend" on any vehicle when getting carried away with modding. Mine is pretty much my daily driver too. Personally, I tend to keep my vehicles almost forever, so I don't worry too much about mod. prices. I've had the header back system on for over 5 years now and, except for the current crack repairs, I've replaced the flange gaskets once. Cost of the complete system at that time was $1400...so a little under $300 a year. The longer it goes the price keeps going down.

I haven't done much modding for about the last two years now and I've been getting the itch again. I've been looking into something I've always said I wouldn't do with a stock rotating assembly......add a supercharger. The price is what is stopping me though. I can't really justify it....~$7000 for around 120 more horsepower. I also don't know what a total of about 200 more horsepower than stock (including my current mods.) would do to the drive train. Oh the problems we face when modding, LOL.
__________________
05 LX/RT & 06 WK/GCO, modded similarly, MDS "ON" Light, Vortex Gens, Debadged, DashHawk, BT Catch Can, SRT CAI W/Add Air Inlet, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tuning App, DS Tuner, Cust tube headers w/3 in. catback, Bilsteins, SRT frt/rear bumpers, Eibach SRT Lwr Sprgs & Sways, FRI Sidewinder Cam Adv 2*, 6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK 90mm TB, SOS Coils/.060 plug gaps. 20 in. SRT Reps.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-2016, 05:27 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,943
Thanks: 417
Thanked 663 Times in 595 Posts
Rep Power: 340009
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Your jeep your only ride bro? If not I can weld up them cracks for ya
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 PM
hound's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 468
Thanks: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 3009
hound is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust manifold/header differences

I am still waiting to hear back from Nick to see if there are any errors lights flashing when you turn on the key (to see if the AR Long tubes will not pass emissions). If all checks out, I will go ahead and get the AR 5.7L WK headers.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter / ROUSH Prototype Tech

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Woodhaven, MI
Posts: 8,943
Thanks: 417
Thanked 663 Times in 595 Posts
Rep Power: 340009
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound View Post
I am still waiting to hear back from Nick to see if there are any errors lights flashing when you turn on the key (to see if the AR Long tubes will not pass emissions). If all checks out, I will go ahead and get the AR 5.7L WK headers.
Man that guy went ghost. I don't think he actually got em
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Jamestown, NC
Posts: 13
Thanks: 6
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 720
IN10SS is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust manifold/header differences

Yeah, I'm thinking he isn't around. I followed all that and then it just died with no resolution.
__________________
2007 Grand Cherokee Ltd SRT replicas, sway bars, bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, Dynomax cat back.
1972 cutlass Supreme convertible 455/2004R
2013 G37S Wife's car
2007 BMW Z4M Roadster
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2016, 07:20 PM
hound's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 468
Thanks: 4
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 3009
hound is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust manifold/header differences

I have had several PM's with him recently. I have also had email conversations with the owner of AR (also named Nick). The headers are real, they are available to purchase. I last sent a PM to Nick to see if he could go through the warning light procedure to see if we would pass an OBDII emissions test. He replied and said he was busy at the moment. I am hoping to hear back from him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4.0L Exhaust header Mike Sal Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 4 01-03-2016 09:47 AM
2010 5.7 cylinder head differences...(see also: exhaust headers) Lucas.LaGrange New Members - Welcome! 0 07-19-2014 10:30 PM
Doug Thorley Header VS. Clifford Performance Header hansen2oo5 Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 0 06-04-2013 09:52 AM
Header/Midpipe Exhaust question... viking757 Performance Modifications 2 08-03-2011 07:36 PM
Exhaust Header Flanges 05WK Grand Cherokee - WK 12 06-27-2011 10:03 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.