Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Diesel Powered WK Grand Cherokee

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Consett County Durham UK
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 450
Wilkie is on a distinguished road
Oil question.

Hi I have a 2006 grand Cherokee diesel,in my manual it recommends 10w 40 fully synthetic on the web site wk mainteanance schedules they say 5w30 fully synthetic which one should I use. I find on all web sites selling oil that when I put in my reg they also say 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 AM
jeeper_57's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: France
Posts: 151
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1142
jeeper_57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
Hi I have a 2006 grand Cherokee diesel,in my manual it recommends 10w 40 fully synthetic on the web site wk mainteanance schedules they say 5w30 fully synthetic which one should I use. I find on all web sites selling oil that when I put in my reg they also say 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin
5W40 or 5w30 for the wk ,
the 10w40 semi synthetic is not recommended for this truck but for former WJ
__________________

__________________
2005 WK 3.0 L CRD Limited silver grey metallic , Quadradrive II
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Consett County Durham UK
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 450
Wilkie is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Hi Thank goodness I bought the 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
jeeper_57's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: France
Posts: 151
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1142
jeeper_57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
Hi Thank goodness I bought the 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin.
just take care that it fulfills the MB 229.51 norm
__________________
2005 WK 3.0 L CRD Limited silver grey metallic , Quadradrive II
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2006 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Consett County Durham UK
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 450
Wilkie is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Hi yes it is the oil is Total Quartz Ineo MC3 5W30 Engine Oil MERCEDES-BENZ :MB 229.31, MB 229.51.regards Martin.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-12-2014, 01:12 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 274
ggrassmid is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

I ordered Amsoil European formula for diesel and turbo cars. It is 5W30 Low SAPS and meets the MB229.51 specs with DPF installed. I plan on changing my filter every 7500 miles and oil every 15,000. I will have my first 15,000 checked by BlackStone Labs, free test kit and oil analysis costs $25. I'll see if they would then recommend more frequent oil changes or not. I also plan on getting a GDE EcoTune and removing the DPF which should also allow me to use the standard diesel amsoil and not be required to have low saps.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 95
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1557
52233 is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrassmid View Post
I ordered Amsoil European formula for diesel and turbo cars. It is 5W30 Low SAPS and meets the MB229.51 specs with DPF installed. I plan on changing my filter every 7500 miles and oil every 15,000. I will have my first 15,000 checked by BlackStone Labs, free test kit and oil analysis costs $25. I'll see if they would then recommend more frequent oil changes or not. I also plan on getting a GDE EcoTune and removing the DPF which should also allow me to use the standard diesel amsoil and not be required to have low saps.

I use the same oil even with my tune, makes me sleep better! I change my oil every 12,000 km. love to know the lab results!
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3 " OME HD lift
267/17/70 BF Goodrich All Terrain
offset Black Rims
Westin Grill Guard
Westin Rear tailight guards
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-10-2014, 08:48 AM
wingit's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois USA
Posts: 19
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 292
wingit is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilkie View Post
Hi I have a 2006 grand Cherokee diesel,in my manual it recommends 10w 40 fully synthetic on the web site wk mainteanance schedules they say 5w30 fully synthetic which one should I use. I find on all web sites selling oil that when I put in my reg they also say 5w30 fully synthetic.regards Martin
Personally I would ask a tech at the service dept. My opinion would be to go with what the manual says. That is assuming your looking at the correct manual for the correct engine. I assume you just bought this used and have seen where manuals get switched by accident. If you use a lighter weight oil in an engine designed for a heavier weight than you increase the risk of engine wear.
__________________
2014 Amp'd sport, 2 in old man emu lift, 1.25 in body lift, 35 in KM2, 11k quadratec winch, Smittybilt bumper/sidesteps, Cobra CB, AEV snorkel
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2007 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 21
omsok is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Hi:

Is that the OM642 Mercedes engine? I thought they were only in 2007-2009 model years. Mine is a 2007, manual says 5W30 Synthetic. Must meet oil spec MB 229.51 and be ACEA C3 qualified. That being said, mine has had 5W40 put in it for the last 47'000 kilometers by the previous owner. I do know a chief mechanic that used to work for Chrysler and now works for. Japanese brand, who says for his own vehicles he runs a little heavier. Depends on use, season,temperature; however safest bet is what manual says. http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...e_II_5W-40.pdf


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-2014, 04:42 PM
jeeper_57's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: France
Posts: 151
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1142
jeeper_57 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by omsok View Post
Hi:

Is that the OM642 Mercedes engine? I thought they were only in 2007-2009 model years. Mine is a 2007, manual says 5W30 Synthetic. Must meet oil spec MB 229.51 and be ACEA C3 qualified. That being said, mine has had 5W40 put in it for the last 47'000 kilometers by the previous owner. I do know a chief mechanic that used to work for Chrysler and now works for. Japanese brand, who says for his own vehicles he runs a little heavier. Depends on use, season,temperature; however safest bet is what manual says. http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...e_II_5W-40.pdf

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
3.0 CRD is the OM642 from Mercedes.
I have the 2005 year model.
5w30 and 5w40 are a bit alike only viscosity at high temperature is bit different. on some model years they specify one or the other, but the engine is totally the same I don't know of why.
As long as it's at my specs it's OK
__________________
2005 WK 3.0 L CRD Limited silver grey metallic , Quadradrive II
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 274
ggrassmid is on a distinguished road
Re: Oil question.

Here is my Oil Report.
I put in the Amsoil 5w30 Low SAPS after I bought the Jeep at around 154,000 miles on the engine. When I drained the sample, I did not run it before had and drain mixed/warm oil, I drained it after sitting all night. The drain was at 7500 miles on the oil, at which time I also changed the filter; but not the oil. I will run the oil another 7500 miles and do a FULL change at that time. The only outside of normal driving I did over the summer was 1 full day on the Silver Lake Dunes in Michigan, which was a pretty hard day on the engine. I did also do a DNR ORV Trail that was only 21 miles long, but that was pretty easy going.

Looking at the report, though this ends up being my baseline, I may want to change the filter at 5000 miles and full oil change at 10,000 instead of going for 15,000 on it. You will see their notes about the viscosity, and that the iron was almost double of what Universal Averages are. The silicon is higher than averages, which could be from a day at the dunes and may also contribute to the higher iron particulates.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 08 Jeep CRD.pdf (137.9 KB, 4 views)
__________________

__________________
2008 WK Grand Cherokee CRD QD2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
oil question honda382 Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 6 07-02-2011 03:28 PM
11 WK First Oil Change Question Frank G Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 28 06-15-2011 04:43 PM
Oil question sweetjeep99 Grand Cherokee - WK 2 05-29-2011 03:02 PM
Oil question Breitling65 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos 0 01-20-2011 08:29 AM
3.7 Oil Question SportRanger06 Grand Cherokee - WK 1 12-23-2010 03:37 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.