Changing front Struts instructions
I'm doing this as a service to anyone that may be looking to change their struts. I recently finished mine and after looking around I found no simple way to do it, or explaniations with steps missed. I'm an above average home mechanic and this job just pissed me off. So here goes, I hope this helps someone else.
1) Remove Wheel (duh!)
2) position a small jack under the control arm to be able to position it up and down to the most convient heights for multiple bolt removals
3) Remove upper ball joint bolt and seperate it from spindle.
4) now change height of control arm to take off as much load as possible from sway bar link to sway bar bolt, and remove bolt.
5) Reposition the height of the control arm to take the most load off the bolt going through the strut fork/control arm and remove bolt.
6) Unbolt brake caliper and hang it off the control arm as not to over strech the hose.
7) Undo Abs speed sensor wire from holders and move it out of the way.
8) Now remove the four bolts at the top of the mount and you should be able to get the strut out by pushing the control arm down to clear the mounting fork.
Assembly is the reverse of course. Should be able to complete each side in under an hour. I hope this helps a fellow jeep owner out there. Everything I found never mentioned the sway bar link and that was holding me up. Could have been that I was having a bad day too, but anyway.
As an FYI I put on Monroe Reflex, I was going to go with Bilstein's but didn't want to wait for shipping and these were bought locally with a lifetime warranty. The ride is as good as my 2 month old car I bought.
I sincerely hope this helps someone out there!