Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK > Audio/Visual/Navigation

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
opinions on subwoofer setup

Hi all, I was hoping I could get some opinions on subwoofer options for my 05 wk. I am leaning towards a single 12" Rockford Fosgate P3. I want to have as much space as possible in the cargo area but also don't want go drop 700 bucks on the jl setup.

Is anyone running a single 12" sub? Sealed box or ported? I really like sealed boxes but I'm kind of worried a single 12" in a sealed box won't be very loud.

Sub is a 12" Rockford P3 DVC 4 ohm 600 watt rms
Amp is a Rockford 500.1 and it shows 689 rms on the birth sheet. Running it at 2 ohm load.

Thanks for any input!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
Well I ended up buying a Rockford fosgate p3 12" and a Rockford r1200.1 amp. Took the jeep all apart and put down 50 sq ft of sound deadener, then cleaned all the carpet and seats while they where out. Ran all my wiring including two sets of 4 gauge power wire to the battery. Mounting the amps inside the cargo tray, had to cut out the base so they would fit.



ForumRunner_20140120_150521.png



ForumRunner_20140120_150545.png



ForumRunner_20140120_150555.png



ForumRunner_20140120_150613.png



ForumRunner_20140120_150624.png



ForumRunner_20140120_150640.png
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2014, 05:01 PM
JHKolb's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2010 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 24
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 233
JHKolb is on a distinguished road
Re: opinions on subwoofer setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSRA15 View Post
Hi all, I was hoping I could get some opinions on subwoofer options for my 05 wk. I am leaning towards a single 12" Rockford Fosgate P3. I want to have as much space as possible in the cargo area but also don't want go drop 700 bucks on the jl setup.

Is anyone running a single 12" sub? Sealed box or ported? I really like sealed boxes but I'm kind of worried a single 12" in a sealed box won't be very loud.

Sub is a 12" Rockford P3 DVC 4 ohm 600 watt rms
Amp is a Rockford 500.1 and it shows 689 rms on the birth sheet. Running it at 2 ohm load.

Thanks for any input!
I am going with a JL Single 12W3v3 PowerWedge powered with a JL XD600/1 Monoblock sub amp - should be installed next Friday (local shop is doing the install for me).

Almost went for a custom Box with a JL 12W6v3 (leftover) and a JL Slash 600/1V3 but that would have been almost $500 more, though would probably have been a nicer performing sub - not that my ears would likely notice, which is why I went for the PowerWedge box instead.

Now I need to decide if it is worth upgrading the stock speakers with the Kicker upgrade (I can get it pretty cheap form local dealer) or wait and replace with some other aftermarket stuff. Got to weigh the cost vs. benefits.
__________________
John K (SE PA)

Current Rig:
'10 WK 'S' Limited - Brilliant Black

Previous Rig:
'04 WJ Overland 4.7L H.O., Kolak 3" Exhaust, Rusty's 2" HD Coils, Custom CAI, NO HEAT
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-20-2014, 05:03 PM
JHKolb's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2010 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Southeast Pennsylvania
Posts: 24
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 233
JHKolb is on a distinguished road
Re: opinions on subwoofer setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSRA15 View Post
Well I ended up buying a Rockford fosgate p3 12" and a Rockford r1200.1 amp. Took the jeep all apart and put down 50 sq ft of sound deadener, then cleaned all the carpet and seats while they where out. Ran all my wiring including two sets of 4 gauge power wire to the battery. Mounting the amps inside the cargo tray, had to cut out the base so they would fit.



Attachment 34582



Attachment 34583



Attachment 34584



Attachment 34585



Attachment 34586



Attachment 34587
Nice job but too much time/work for me to tackle that big a job myself
__________________
John K (SE PA)

Current Rig:
'10 WK 'S' Limited - Brilliant Black

Previous Rig:
'04 WJ Overland 4.7L H.O., Kolak 3" Exhaust, Rusty's 2" HD Coils, Custom CAI, NO HEAT
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
Thanks, I spent the weekend doing it. Still not complete but I've been slacking. The amps are mounted and wired, all the sound deadener is done. Just have to finish the cargo floor around the amps and reinstall. Then put the seats back in.

The seats didnt have to come out, I wanted to shampoo my carpet and put deadener in so that's why my install took so long. It will be done tonight. Gotta drive it tomorrow!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
Amps wired.

ForumRunner_20140120_171244.png



ForumRunner_20140120_171256.png
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
Finally done.. will end up moving sub to one side and securing it somehow. Sounds very good. Next item on the list is a new headunit and either a dsp or a nice equalizer.

ForumRunner_20140120_213719.png



ForumRunner_20140120_213729.png
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:16 PM
brentwoodkris's Avatar
The Ever-Dissatisfied Tinkerer
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 903
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 3545
brentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond reputebrentwoodkris has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: opinions on subwoofer setup

I have a 12" Alpine Type-R in a sealed enclosure in my WK. Similar to your setup, but a few years older, I have a RF Prime R1000-1D running my sub with the RF 4ga wiring kit providing power/ground. I didn't bother with sound deadening material and I'm glad I didn't as there isn't much to rattle in the back of the Jeep.

My monoblock amp was able to fit in the cargo tray without modifications (I made sure the dimensions were perfect - main reason for choosing this amp) and it's had zero cooling issues even running the amp constantly for 10+ hr road trips. I secured my sealed 12" box to the back of my rear seat bank by adding a S-hook and O-hook combination to secure it to the rear hook-rod on the back of the seat. It's not going anywhere, but is still able to be easily removed/disconnected if I need the room.

Additionally, if you like to put junk in your cargo space, I'd strongly consider adding a grille to your sub box to protect your sub/surround and keep her in good shape. Hard to predict stuff shifting in the back when you're in the front driving.

If you want pics of my setup, let me know and I'll snap a few pics and link to them on here.
__________________
'05 WK GC 5.7L HEMI, Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors, Monroe Reflex Front Struts/Monroe Load Adjusting Rear Shocks, EBC Drilled/Slotted Sport Rotors, Wagner Ceramic Brake Pads, Taylor Shorties, SRT8 Stock CAI Conversion, K&N Drop-in, Block Heater, 18.5% Tint All Around, Boston SE Speakers, 12" Alpine Type-R Sub w/ sealed box w/ RF PRIME R1000-1D, ScanGauge II w/ windshield mount, BT Catch Can w/custom bracket, Swagman Fork Mount Bicycle Rack, WeatherTech front floor liners, SRT8 Pedal Covers, eBay full LED lighting kit, Custom MDS Indicator LED Light, Mega Raizin Voltage Stabilizer & Grounding Kit, Challenger IAT Sensor, Escort Passport 9500ix, Python 5706P RS/Security/KE w/ extras, SA 5 switch panel, Fumoto Oil Valve, Overland WG Steering wheel.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodkris View Post
I have a 12" Alpine Type-R in a sealed enclosure in my WK. Similar to your setup, but a few years older, I have a RF Prime R1000-1D running my sub with the RF 4ga wiring kit providing power/ground. I didn't bother with sound deadening material and I'm glad I didn't as there isn't much to rattle in the back of the Jeep.

My monoblock amp was able to fit in the cargo tray without modifications (I made sure the dimensions were perfect - main reason for choosing this amp) and it's had zero cooling issues even running the amp constantly for 10+ hr road trips. I secured my sealed 12" box to the back of my rear seat bank by adding a S-hook and O-hook combination to secure it to the rear hook-rod on the back of the seat. It's not going anywhere, but is still able to be easily removed/disconnected if I need the room.

Additionally, if you like to put junk in your cargo space, I'd strongly consider adding a grille to your sub box to protect your sub/surround and keep her in good shape. Hard to predict stuff shifting in the back when you're in the front driving.

If you want pics of my setup, let me know and I'll snap a few pics and link to them on here.
Thanks for the input man. The sound deadener I am using to kill the drone from the exhaust. I installed a flowmaster muffler and it drones like hell at 62-67mph. There really are no rattles in the jeep that I can hear. My sunglass holder rattles in the overhead console sometimes. If you could link some pictures of your setup that would be great, I'd like to see how you secured your sub.
Also I cut the cargo floor out so the amps could be mounted securely to the floor of the jeep and I can take the rear subfloor out without disconnecting the amps. I never used that little storage compartment anyway. It's pretty loud, I'm surprised with the P3. I'm overpowering it by 200 watts rms but it should be fine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:41 PM
hound's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 311
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1949
hound is on a distinguished road
Re: opinions on subwoofer setup

How well did the sound deadner work on killing the drone? I have the Gibson CAT back setup and while I love it around town, it is rather loud on highway trips.

This summer I was home on RR (I work overseas) and threw in a JL Stealthbox. Install was easy and it is plenty loud. I also have the Kicker amp and speaker upgrade so overall, I am happy with the sound and it didn't break the bank.

I have used sound deadner on the doors and where I could in the back. I didn't have much time while I was home but want to eventually stip the interior and follow the methods used here: Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown

In my previous 98 5.9L, I stripped the interior and did spray in sound deadner. I really worked well but the install was quite involved. Here is a link to that Jeep: hound2000's 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee in Logan, UT

I just noticed Cardomain changed their website layout. Kind of crappy now, but the pics I am talking about are in the 98 and not the 94.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-24-2014, 11:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
I used some cheap stuff from amazon called GTMat. It was 100 bucks for 50 sq ft of 80 mil. It mad a noticeable difference. My wife complained while riding on long trips around 60-68 mph and now she is happy. Lol but I took the whole interior apart. The only thing I left in was the headliner, dash, and the rear seat backs because they didn't need to come out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 369
AUSRA15 is on a distinguished road
Dynamat in the doors

ForumRunner_20140127_012202.png



ForumRunner_20140127_012213.png
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need opinions on which setup. Chrome or painted? Pics of both inside! JTS97Z28 Interior/Exterior/Visual 18 06-24-2012 04:17 PM
Appropriate size subwoofer? websurrfr Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 8 02-29-2012 05:26 PM
Opinions on '11-'12 Overland's subwoofer joe_s Audio/Visual/Navigation 15 11-11-2011 10:27 AM
WK setup opinions-Help slavenjr Grand Cherokee - WK 9 08-03-2011 06:39 PM
Subwoofer Help..... Dusan33 Audio/Visual/Navigation 0 01-19-2011 02:32 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community