Hi Jeepsters, thanks for getting me back into reading novels
I decided to do the righty and read everything before posting... thankfully the politics finished at page 450 or so
I've had our 2014 Overland CRD for about four weeks now and am overall really happy with the car... and definitely happy for what you get at the price. Of course I have a few niggles which are annoying for someone not used to buying vehicles still in R&D!
I thought I might start off with some "giving" before asking questions, so here we go:
- Gracenote would be relevant in the US where their cars are Internet enabled. If the track information embedded in your music is missing, the car would seek it out online.
- I use MP3 format more than most other formats, and it's worth mentioning that there are two versions of the "tags" which hold the song information inside the music file. It is quite possible that music searching will not occur if this isn't done to the car's liking. I'll have a play and add more info soon, but for those who would like to get ahead there is a free Windoze program called MP3Tag which I have attend to any shortfalls in my music collection's data. I would suggest populating both versions of the tag data and try VR again.
- Bust out your old hard drives! Yesterday I set up an 80Gb 2.5" external hard drive in the iPod slot and so far all works well. There's plenty of power available from the centre USB port so even the annoyingly thirsty models like my Maxtor should be OK. I have no idea of the upper limit on drive size yet.
- I am liaising with Nav TV regarding the development of their U-Connect box as I am interested in enabling Nav in motion and also utilising the reversing screen with a trailer mounted camera. I tow a boat and my girlfriend/financier prefers me to be as self-sufficient as possible... because then there's no arguments
I'd be happy to keep anyone interested in the loop as to progress.
- Does anyone in Perth want to do a bulk purchase of mudflaps, then have an installation day when they arrive? I'm also considering alternate side steps.
- I'll add we have not seen the climate issue yet, but always run in independent / split mode. Just for the data... I do not want to put the mozz on our Jeep as I feel the dealer will be useless.
- With respect, I'd forget about your rear hooks. Pulling a car from one corner is undesirable at best and using the towing system is a proven, robust approach I've used for years as a 4WD Instructor. It's best to use a receiver adaptor with a hook or a hole for the shackle, but in a pinch just put your strap down the hole and use the receiver pin through the eye of the strap. The worst event is you'll bend the pin and have to cut it off... no one died. To repeat, it's best to use the adaptor. I'll post pics if anyone hasn't seen what I'm talking about
And here are the questions:
- Does anyone's Nav respond to entering addresses by voice? Mine gives the usual "suck on it Aussie" message. I'm pretty annoyed because I saw voice recognition as the solution to the keyboard lockout when moving. To use current "nanny logic" back at the manufacturer, the car is quite dangerous... as even when travelling accompanied you have to pull over to enter a destination, and then pull out into potentially 110km/h rearward approaching traffic. Personally I don't care if they ever fix the VR, provided they disable the keyboard lockout in motion rubbish. Two years on I have never had anything close to a near miss in our 5 Series from dialling in addresses progressively as traffic movements permit. It is no more a risk than any other button pushing when driving. Rant over.
- Has anyone with rear sensors had a towbar fitted at a non-Jeep facility? I am told they splice the wiring to add in the required current booster (which they generously refer to as a "ECU") which means manual silencing of the rear sensors is required. I can't be bothered doing this all summer!
- Furthermore, can anyone confirm any intelligence to the Mopar towbar wiring installation with regard to silencing the rear sensors? I didn't want to pay LCT on the towbar so didn't order it with the vehicle.
- If anyone knows an economical source of 18" wheels in Perth WA, I am listening
- Are there any front hook solutions for the MY14, or must we always come out backwards
Thanks for reading... that is all... over and out,