Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Export Grand Cherokee 2011+

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #9373  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Victoria, Australia
Posts: 977
Thanks: 18
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2565
webber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond reputewebber has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
December was another good month for the JGC sales with 1431 vehicles sold. Prado 1065 vehicles sold.

December 2012 was JGC 794, Prado 1313.

Warren
Good to read.....and I am no off roader but finding it difficult to accept that the Prado is better off road than the Jeep. The Jeep, the vehicle that won World War 2? The "Go anywhere Jeep?". I am going to need more concrete proof to accept that statement. Besides, I luv my Jeep. We get up to all sorts of mischief!!!!
__________________

__________________
Guess who's getting up to "hanky panky" with a gorgeous young blonde in the shed each night?
Reply With Quote
  #9374  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,171
Thanks: 17
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2408
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
Yep, I hear this a lot, the suspension topping out is disconcerting, but if you nurse it and ignore the odd crunch, does it get you as far as the LD4 does?

That 4x4 mag has a comparison between the disco and the new prado, and talks about the better suspension travel in the prado, and the LD4 more prone to lifting a wheel and topping out, but in the end they give them even marks for off road ability.
It's a much more appropriate comparison Benno... the LandRover Discovery4 is a significantly closer match to the WK2's, especially with Quadralift. I've operated the former in soft sand and my recollections of the Terrain Response programing were good... probably better than my recent first time Jeep'n in WA's wind swept powder. As Wade said, the accelerator response is just ridiculous. I also found it pretty normal for the rear end to bog in a bit before getting help from the front end when real soft underfoot. Locking in Low4 fixes that, but then hands you a limited hand of gears to work with.

But there's so many variables mate... for example I've just fitted hard sidewalled LT tyres, and they never make life easier... but with a crap spare buried under all the luggage/fridge/tools/etc I don't like to even think about getting a flat!

I think that if you were down to choosing between the LR D4 and the Grand you'd have more significant aspects to sway you than the last N'th degree of off-road ability. There's going to be miles less in that than, for instance, bang-for-buck, load space size, seating capacity and position, modification options and availability, joining the LR wanker team, etc.

Everything is a compromise... somewhere.

Happy shopping,
Steve
__________________

__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #9375  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,171
Thanks: 17
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2408
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadeaus View Post
Hey Steve,

I completely agree with you. While the JGC has conquered some obstacles where I expected it to fail, it is by no means in the same league as a prado with a lift + lockers. I certainly wonít be taking the JGC on some of the rougher trails I used to take the prado on and even on tamer tracks I find I have to takes things a bit slower in the JGC to avoid that knock from the front end, it makes me cringe every time I hear it and usually has me looking out the back window to see if Iíve left anything behind (really missing my icon shockies).

The trip to Yeagarup was a learning experience for me, I learnt a lot about the JGC, some good some bad/annoying. Firstly never eva drive on the beach with the sunroof open ha ha, I ended up with so much sand in the rails it jammed and I had to drive 4hrs home with it open lol, secondly donít use the air dam as a sand plow, the front camera wonít like it. I broke all the clips that hold it in place which cost $60 to replace.
As for the driving aspect, on the way in I had to baby it in one or two sections to avoid the mentioned knock from the front end but otherwise the JGC went great, I filmed the whole drive in but it was close to sunset so it doesnít make for good viewing.
It wasnít till the next day that I found myself wishing for a permanently lifted rig, with lockers, manual gearbox and traditional transfer case, although I will admit this was my fault for not reading the manual and for buying a car that has too much tech. In short I got bogged twice in a tricky section in the sand dunes between a camping spot near the river mouth and the beach, I thought that because I had the transmission selected to sand mode the previous day it would still be in sand mode the next day, also the QL returned to normal ride height, two little things that resulted in a lot of digging.
With the JGC back in sand mode it powered up the dunes on the way out with ease, (unlike some poor fellas jeep wrangler) but youíd expect this with all that torque + a BS chip. I did find the accelerator peddle a bit touchy in the sand though, a slight press would equal rooster.

By the way Steve I should be getting my rear storage sorted out around the end of this month, ACS fabrications will be doing it. Iíll bring it around so you can have a look when itís done.
Oh mate... the sunroof! I don't even like opening the windows or doors down there... how many hours vacuuming that fine white sand out??? The guide tracks plus the interior please?

I worry about the bumper too, especially when the track is good for a bit over 40km/h but the mound is too high for standard height. Were you lowered because of the speed limitation, or just because QL likes to revert every ignition cycle? I think I'm going to have to fab something to take the place of the lower bumper section, as I'm sick of the aftermarket's "gunna" stories. That camera is pricey, so are the guard liners I hear BobT had to replace... I reckon you got off lightly! Actually, did you hear there's a mod to stooge the QL speed sensor to give an additional 20km/h (from memory) in each off road mode? I emailed the guy... of course no answer.

Don't mention missing Ikons please Wade, I'm about to advertise my Prado... with just a hint of reluctance. Maybe I'll go beat up on the Powerline one last time before I clean it up

Can't wait to check out your custom storage... I wish I could have committed.

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #9376  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Rockhampton, QLD
Posts: 82
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 748
Kayezy is on a distinguished road
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

QL for me never reverts back to standard height, always remains in the height i last left it in. I did nearly bog myself on the beach at 5 rocks once by thinking it would be in sand mode when i got back in and restarted the car. Needless to say, traction control and soft sand dont mix. The issue with QL is if you restart the car, turn on sand mode, it automatically lowers you. No idea why it thinks sand mode should be at normal ride height but its what it likes to do i guess.

Heading up to 5 rocks on saturday just gone in 40 degree heat with very very hot and soft sand, our jeep never struggled once getting up the main big hill. 2 prados did, admittingly they were the previous shape ('08) models or around there - but we walked all over them. One had to turn around as he kept getting stuck.

Another thing to watch with QL is the fact that when you need OR2, but still need momentum, there are plenty of times you hit 40+ and it lowers you back to OR1 without you realising. Something to watch out for.
__________________
2014 Brilliant Black Grand Cherokee Overland; Diesel; Off road pack
Reply With Quote
  #9377  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Davidpriddy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Templestowe, Melbourne
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 505
Davidpriddy is on a distinguished road
Can anybody help me with what should be an easy answer? The family enjoys going to the drive-in movies. We back up our jeep grand cherokee overland 2014, pop the back tailgate with the engine off and lights dimmed. We get the radio going by engaging the 'start' engine (but without foot on break to start the engine) and the radio I tunned into the appropriate station. But after only about 20 minutes or so the whole vehicle shuts down. I read on another forum somewhere that you can go into the EVIC (page 151 on my jeep manual) and I can adjust the settings for the switch off times of the electronics on my jeep. But for the life of me I cannot find the sub menus to do this? Any ideas gang?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9378  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,171
Thanks: 17
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2408
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayezy View Post
QL for me never reverts back to standard height, always remains in the height i last left it in. I did nearly bog myself on the beach at 5 rocks once by thinking it would be in sand mode when i got back in and restarted the car. Needless to say, traction control and soft sand dont mix. The issue with QL is if you restart the car, turn on sand mode, it automatically lowers you. No idea why it thinks sand mode should be at normal ride height but its what it likes to do i guess.

Another thing to watch with QL is the fact that when you need OR2, but still need momentum, there are plenty of times you hit 40+ and it lowers you back to OR1 without you realising. Something to watch out for.
These are the same things that I'm frustrated with, but I'm sure that a shut down, lock, unlock and restart also lowers QL too. I'll check when I get up and confirm.

I just chased up Graham from LLAMS, and apparently the ETA for the QL speed override module is the "second quarter of this year". Hopefully that's not a Jeep-year...

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #9379  
Old 01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,171
Thanks: 17
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2408
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

I've given up trying to make a nice link via my mobile, but here's a rough looking one.

Quadra Lift over ride - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM - AJOR

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barboots For This Useful Post:
  #9380  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Benn0's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 921
Thanks: 10
Thanked 58 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 15986
Benn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
It's a much more appropriate comparison Benno... the LandRover Discovery4 is a significantly closer match to the WK2's, especially with Quadralift. I've operated the former in soft sand and my recollections of the Terrain Response programing were good... probably better than my recent first time Jeep'n in WA's wind swept powder. As Wade said, the accelerator response is just ridiculous. I also found it pretty normal for the rear end to bog in a bit before getting help from the front end when real soft underfoot. Locking in Low4 fixes that, but then hands you a limited hand of gears to work with.

But there's so many variables mate... for example I've just fitted hard sidewalled LT tyres, and they never make life easier... but with a crap spare buried under all the luggage/fridge/tools/etc I don't like to even think about getting a flat!

I think that if you were down to choosing between the LR D4 and the Grand you'd have more significant aspects to sway you than the last N'th degree of off-road ability. There's going to be miles less in that than, for instance, bang-for-buck, load space size, seating capacity and position, modification options and availability, joining the LR wanker team, etc.

Everything is a compromise... somewhere.

Happy shopping,
Steve
Yep, I'll be keeping my spare on the roof I think. For off road trips anyway.

It has just been some comments I've heard here and there that the Jeep isn't comparable with the LD4 off road, and when I've been discussing it with family/friends and said the Jeep will still go everywhere the Disco will, their response has been 'no way'. So I was interested in a real comparison. I did look at the Disco, but price and the base model being down on power put me off. And the wanker factor was there too.... my thinking is that if it will go just as far, or very close, then why wouldn't you buy the jeep. If the jeep won't go half as far then you might pay the extra for the disco.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9381  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,171
Thanks: 17
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2408
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benn0 View Post
Yep, I'll be keeping my spare on the roof I think. For off road trips anyway.

It has just been some comments I've heard here and there that the Jeep isn't comparable with the LD4 off road, and when I've been discussing it with family/friends and said the Jeep will still go everywhere the Disco will, their response has been 'no way'. So I was interested in a real comparison. I did look at the Disco, but price and the base model being down on power put me off. And the wanker factor was there too.... my thinking is that if it will go just as far, or very close, then why wouldn't you buy the jeep. If the jeep won't go half as far then you might pay the extra for the disco.
If you'd be happy with "very close" you will not be disappointed... you may even find some Machiavellian joy that you "went further" than one too. Familiarity with these complex vehicles (as you can see by my own admissions) are paramount to extracting the most from them off-road. The stuff I used to do in my sleep...

Why pay extra for Discovery? Seating capacity, luggage capacity, accessory availability, perceived status, the off-road look, and surely other stuff not coming to me right now.

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #9382  
Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Benn0's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 921
Thanks: 10
Thanked 58 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 15986
Benn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenn0 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
If you'd be happy with "very close" you will not be disappointed... you may even find some Machiavellian joy that you "went further" than one too. Familiarity with these complex vehicles (as you can see by my own admissions) are paramount to extracting the most from them off-road. The stuff I used to do in my sleep...

Why pay extra for Discovery? Seating capacity, luggage capacity, accessory availability, perceived status, the off-road look, and surely other stuff not coming to me right now.

Cheers,
Steve
Excellent, thanks for the input. I'm going from a 100 series cruiser to a JGC so I'm expecting to have to re-learn how to drive it, particularly on soft sand.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9383  
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM
Peanut's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Port Hedland WA
Posts: 81
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 566
Peanut has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Well received my $20.70 (delivered) CCD camera (from China) in the mail and spent just over 4 hours yesterday removing the crap camera they installed in the Laredo (did have to splice it into the original plug). The only problem being it still aims down a bit to much but it should only take me 2 hours to go back in and make some adjustments. This camera is brilliant, no fish eye, still has the grid lines and to top it off it works in the dark. If I can do it I am sure Jeep could supply better cameras.
__________________
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #9384  
Old 01-06-2014, 10:50 PM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,171
Thanks: 17
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2408
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: 2014 Grand Cherokee information - Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
Well received my $20.70 (delivered) CCD camera (from China) in the mail and spent just over 4 hours yesterday removing the crap camera they installed in the Laredo (did have to splice it into the original plug). The only problem being it still aims down a bit to much but it should only take me 2 hours to go back in and make some adjustments. This camera is brilliant, no fish eye, still has the grid lines and to top it off it works in the dark. If I can do it I am sure Jeep could supply better cameras.
Great initiative... and shame on Jeep. What a pointless thing to alienate your customers with

I'm sure you'll be asked what camera supplier you chose!

Cheers,
Steve
__________________

__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014 wk2 au, australia, SRT, wk2, wk2 au, wk2 srt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Grand Cherokee - Ordering Information and Pricing Milous Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 8289 09-09-2014 11:33 AM
TSB and Recall information: 1993-2015 Grand Cherokee & 2006-2010 Commander Milous Technical Service Bulletins and Recalls 5 07-23-2014 09:48 PM
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2014 MB E-class Comparison Dan JGC Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 01-15-2013 10:39 AM
***JeepGarage Exclusive***Latest information and updates on the "WK2" Grand Cherokee Milous Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 4 07-20-2010 06:17 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community