Originally Posted by Dallas
Hi all. Great thread btw. I'm keen on asking a couple of questions:
1. Is the general consensus from you all is that the 650 is a good bit of kit and if it's best to wire into the accessories 12v and not the 12v in the armrest?
2. Because of glare factors. Could it be fitted outside on the bars via engine bay in a discreet place inside a protection casing?
3. I guess if you're after recording in a service centre or non ignition state, then the power magic pro is the go? Is there a huge drain on the battery while this is operating?
4. Has anyone fitted one under the bonnet lid to watch servicing?
Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
1. It is a premium product, but I do not think it is worth what they are asking in comparison to other options. It is an easy set and forget system. Depends on what you are after
2. NO, the cameras generate a lot of heat, so any external box will not be suitable, nor would it look any good. The glare can be reduced by pointing the camera higher and making sure it is positioned correctly. The Marcus 3
also has a good anti glare filter if it bothers you.
3. The PMP is not a bad idea if it concerns you when you leave your car. I do not bother with it. It can be handy for parking issues. The higher end cameras have a parking mode, so will use little power when in standby. You would most likely be able to power the camera for many weeks with the huge battery that our cars have.
4. I would expect that any mechanic would unplug a camera if they knew about it, as it is technically illegal to record sound/video without permission. When I recorded my service, they did not see the camera and I did not do it deliberately.
Previous Ride = 2011 JGC CRD Overland
Current Ride = 2014 Silver JGC SRT
with Pano, HK and Spider monkeys.
Mods = CLSTech Ribbon Mod
Best 1/4 13.4@102Mph