Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Export Grand Cherokee 2011+

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #601  
Old 07-01-2014, 04:09 AM
Bigskiddy's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney - Australia
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 771
Bigskiddy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMWK2 View Post
...low and behold the transmission service was not noted on the service schedule. When I mentioned this to the service guy he looked at me blankly and I had to show him the transmission was included in the book. In the end he agreed to include the transmission and honour the quoted price of $560, but he was pretty unhappy about being caught out. He had to get the fluid sent over from Nepean.....
No sympathy whatsoever for numnuts here.

I'm seriously considering taking my car to a private mechanic for the servicing. Considering that at the dealer I hand my car over to some 16 y/o kid to service. Whereas a private mechanic might actually know what he is doing.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #602  
Old 07-01-2014, 05:04 PM
adamt's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 125
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 903
adamt has a reputation beyond reputeadamt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep service costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskiddy View Post
No sympathy whatsoever for numnuts here.

I'm seriously considering taking my car to a private mechanic for the servicing. Considering that at the dealer I hand my car over to some 16 y/o kid to service. Whereas a private mechanic might actually know what he is doing.
I have to agree with Bigskiddy, I cant believe so many here persist with Jeep service departments, there are plenty of independent Jeep specialists around who would take a lot more interest in you and your vehicle than what the dealership would.
I have even been told that a lot of dealerships will do a great price on the sale knowing they can recoup costs (profit) from servicing.

Cheers
__________________

__________________
2012 GC JET (Altitude) Edition
Mopar tow bar
Mopar skid plates
Recovery Hook
Shark Fin
Reply With Quote
  #603  
Old 07-01-2014, 07:14 PM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 490
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 73432
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Jeep service costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt View Post
I have to agree with Bigskiddy, I cant believe so many here persist with Jeep service departments, there are plenty of independent Jeep specialists around who would take a lot more interest in you and your vehicle than what the dealership would.
I have even been told that a lot of dealerships will do a great price on the sale knowing they can recoup costs (profit) from servicing.

Cheers
No argument here!
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
  #604  
Old 07-01-2014, 08:10 PM
allypally's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NW Sydney
Posts: 2,142
Thanks: 23
Thanked 122 Times in 102 Posts
Rep Power: 55516
allypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep service costs

Can't say I agree with you on the "Numnuts" statement. Just because you take the car to an independent mechanic does not guarantee the quality. Yes. I know you would probably then say, well I will then not use that mechanic again, but the fact is, there are sharks out there, and in such cases, you are then the guy stuck in the middle of an argument between Jeep and the mechanic.
To give an example, we also own a VW Golf, which we now get serviced independently. A few services ago, they told us the front brakes needed replacing, and charged us for it. The following service, they told us the same thing. When questioned, they said they made a mistake, and they must have done the rear brakes previously. Now that is a simple example, how a well recognised workshop in our area can get it wrong. I ended up doing the brakes myself.
Also, the independent mechanic cannot upgrade the ECU, is unaware of TSB's, and would most likely use generic brand parts. Unless you supplied the oil, there is most likely a chance they will not use the grade applicable. I know you face the same issues with a dealer, but just saying.
Another point is that those with car leases may not necessarily have a choice to bypass a dealership.
It is not acceptable that the dealers both rip you off on pricing and that they do inferior work, or just simply do not do the work they charge you for. I cannot really understand why they are able to get away with it.
__________________
MY12 Overland CRD
Cherry Red
Saddle Interior.
Front Recovery Hook.
Reply With Quote
  #605  
Old 07-01-2014, 08:40 PM
adamt's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 125
Thanks: 1
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 903
adamt has a reputation beyond reputeadamt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep service costs

I take your point allypally, I guess the point I am trying to make is in most cases you can have a better (cheaper) relationship with an independent, where as staff turnover at dealerships is high. Yes there will be cases where your ecu may need the dealership but then again most are not up to date with the latest TSB's

In the end it is a personel decision, I guess I am lucky that with 30 years in the automotive industry I can service both our Jeeps for under $200.

I Should add that I am not a independent or have any association with one.

Cheers
__________________
2012 GC JET (Altitude) Edition
Mopar tow bar
Mopar skid plates
Recovery Hook
Shark Fin
Reply With Quote
  #606  
Old 07-02-2014, 02:29 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 725
Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 2032
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by allypally View Post
Can't say I agree with you on the "Numnuts" statement. Just because you take the car to an independent mechanic does not guarantee the quality. Yes. I know you would probably then say, well I will then not use that mechanic again, but the fact is, there are sharks out there, and in such cases, you are then the guy stuck in the middle of an argument between Jeep and the mechanic.
To give an example, we also own a VW Golf, which we now get serviced independently. A few services ago, they told us the front brakes needed replacing, and charged us for it. The following service, they told us the same thing. When questioned, they said they made a mistake, and they must have done the rear brakes previously. Now that is a simple example, how a well recognised workshop in our area can get it wrong. I ended up doing the brakes myself.
Also, the independent mechanic cannot upgrade the ECU, is unaware of TSB's, and would most likely use generic brand parts. Unless you supplied the oil, there is most likely a chance they will not use the grade applicable. I know you face the same issues with a dealer, but just saying.
Another point is that those with car leases may not necessarily have a choice to bypass a dealership.
It is not acceptable that the dealers both rip you off on pricing and that they do inferior work, or just simply do not do the work they charge you for. I cannot really understand why they are able to get away with it.
I too own a VW. Actually a few of them. I used to religious get them serviced at the dealer until one day I had a gearbox issue in one of them. The dealer quoted $9500 for the repair. Did some ringing around and found a Independant VW specialist servce centre and saved $3.5k. Ive been taking all our vehicles there since. I drop in every now and then as it works out we both have a few common interests. I was in there once and had a key that wouldn't communicate to the car any more, and he said he could get it going. Turns out he has his computers linked with VW in Germany just as the dealers do. He told me he pays a fee and has availability to all the resources the dealers do.
I guess what im trying to say is that independent service centre's can have the same resources as the dealers. You just have to find the correct one.
P.S. rule of thumb on VW, 2 sets of pads to 1 set of disc's. The dealers try and sell you pads and discs as a set. Jury's still out as to whay Jeep will do. My brother tells me pads are pretty expensive on the Jeep....
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #607  
Old 07-02-2014, 02:58 AM
Bigskiddy's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney - Australia
Posts: 299
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 771
Bigskiddy is on a distinguished road
It's concerning to think how many Jeeps 'numnuts' has serviced and not done the complete service. Not all owners will be on the ball like GMWK2.

TSB's I can monitor, but obviously going to an independent will need to carefully considered. But I do agree with you Allypally, shonks are everywhere. Whenever I get my work car serviced I always check the wheel nuts.

AdamT are you anywhere near Wollondilly Shire, would you like a third Jeep to service?
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigskiddy For This Useful Post:
  #608  
Old 07-04-2014, 11:27 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 474
Thanks: 1
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 991
mmcrh has a reputation beyond reputemmcrh has a reputation beyond reputemmcrh has a reputation beyond reputemmcrh has a reputation beyond reputemmcrh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Jeep service costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcrh View Post
Seeing is believing. Once they have more pennzoil in, I will go there personally, and if everything is as shall be, I'll buy it over the counter

Went to the warehouse and bought Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 made in France. They don't stock Pennzoil meeting jeep standard.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #609  
Old 07-14-2014, 06:49 AM
Twscoot's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 63
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1181
Twscoot is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep service costs

Suggestions please.
I travel about 14000km per year.
Due for first annual service. (I had one at six months about the time of my DPF issue).
Can I ask for a simple oil change service/TSB update and seek to have the 20,000km service in six months time when it will be closer to 20,000km?
Cheers


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #610  
Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane QLD Australia
Posts: 725
Thanks: 13
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 2032
iboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond reputeiboughtajeep has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twscoot View Post
Suggestions please.
I travel about 14000km per year.
Due for first annual service. (I had one at six months about the time of my DPF issue).
Can I ask for a simple oil change service/TSB update and seek to have the 20,000km service in six months time when it will be closer to 20,000km?
Cheers

Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
You can do anything. Its your car.
__________________
2014 Maximum Steel Overland, but the misses won't let me drive it!
Reply With Quote
  #611  
Old 07-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mandurah West Australia
Posts: 42
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 489
Elvin is on a distinguished road
Re: Jeep service costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twscoot View Post
Suggestions please.
I travel about 14000km per year.
Due for first annual service. (I had one at six months about the time of my DPF issue).
Can I ask for a simple oil change service/TSB update and seek to have the 20,000km service in six months time when it will be closer to 20,000km?
Cheers


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
You have me a confused to what you mean here.
Aren't the services 6 monthly or 10000 kms whatever comes first?
My Jeep is 12 months old and is booked in for Monday for a service .It's done 10200 klms.

The 20000 service is basicly an oil change anyway.

I hate the 6mth service requirements as the cost equates to about the same as the fuel i put in over the same period.

Elvin
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 PM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 490
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 73432
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Jeep service costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
You have me a confused to what you mean here.
Aren't the services 6 monthly or 10000 kms whatever comes first?
My Jeep is 12 months old and is booked in for Monday for a service .It's done 10200 klms.

The 20000 service is basicly an oil change anyway.

I hate the 6mth service requirements as the cost equates to about the same as the fuel i put in over the same period.

Elvin
I agree with you. There can be no justification for a timed service at least not one for as short as 6 months. There is nothing in the car that fails regularly after 6 months. It is simply a convenience for those that can't or can't be bothered to check and top up fluid levels and tyre pressures themselves and of course it's a great money spinner for the dealers. Dealers like to prey on the gullible with the implied threat that one could void the warranty if services were not done 6 monthly. However, they know full well that they would have no chance in court pushing that one.
__________________

__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
maintenance costs for diesel? jerkylips Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee 32 09-23-2013 04:10 PM
Shipping costs Frango100 Grand Cherokee - WJ 8 02-25-2012 11:56 AM
Dealer PCM flash costs $$ !? jlewissystem Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 28 06-24-2011 05:25 PM
Jeep.com Owners site. Incomplete service history and missing service contract info the1jake Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 4 02-24-2011 06:14 PM
Paint Correction Costs? RiverCityWK Detailing 9 03-15-2010 03:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community