portable fridge and 12v socket - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Export Grand Cherokee 2011+

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 12-21-2015, 03:23 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,031
Thanks: 74
Thanked 279 Times in 246 Posts
Rep Power: 46363
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsboening View Post
Drop My lithium ion drill batteries all the time and have lived to tell about it. Also my son is hardcore into RC hobbies, short course, crawlers, planes, boats. All utilize lithium ion batteries. I don't have too many worries about them. My sons RC batteries do get charged inside a safety sack though. They even make full sized car that use them.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
The construction on the better brand lithiums is getting better.
Some knock-offs still have problems with internal shorts--which work much like external shorts. External control circuitry also tends to be a problem.

Not that long ago, Matsushita bragged that although theirs might deform, at least they wouldn't explode if faced with a direct short.


If you ever short a lithium you'll appreciate just how much energy one they can store. Some of the coin ones can still be coaxed to provide amusement by putting a large z style paper clip across them.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 12-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,064
Thanks: 163
Thanked 236 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 2515
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
The construction on the better brand lithiums is getting better.
Some knock-offs still have problems with internal shorts--which work much like external shorts. External control circuitry also tends to be a problem.

Not that long ago, Matsushita bragged that although theirs might deform, at least they wouldn't explode if faced with a direct short.


If you ever short a lithium you'll appreciate just how much energy one they can store. Some of the coin ones can still be coaxed to provide amusement by putting a large z style paper clip across them.

I watched a video where a lithium ion battery was thrown into a pond. It was quite a light show.




Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-28-2015, 08:02 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2315
fireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond repute
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

just an update on the evakool 70L fridge situation with the arkpak730 (105AH inside).

the gc survived a 6100km trip over 2wks.
bris-lightning ridge-white cliffs-bourke-broken hill-adelaide-coorong-great ocean road-ballarat-bendigo-parkes-brisbane.
missed 2 roos, 2 emus, couple of wild goats by mere centimeters !

discovered the centre console 12v socket is always live ! never knew that. never managed to get >65watts out of any 12v socket in the car to charge the arkpak on the go. the arkpak is supposedly a 7amp charger which should equal 12x7=84watts

resorted to having the fridge-> arkpak-> centre console and let the car battery drain/charge the arkpak overnight, since the alternator can charge the car battery faster whereas the 12v socket couldn't adequately charge the arkpak on the go. risky i know, since it could flatten the main car battery but from what i've seen in 35C outback heat, the fridge drains the 105AH battery in the arkpak by about 35% in 13hrs. the gc has a 60AH battery so should be able to to be drained by half and still start in the morning. worst comes to the worst i could always jump start from the ark is the main battery is drained.

good trip. now to clean out the red outback dust from every crack and crevice
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-28-2015, 11:45 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 764
Thanks: 34
Thanked 123 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 35863
John47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post

discovered the centre console 12v socket is always live ! never knew that. (
You can change the position of the fuse which feeds the 12v rear outlet so that it is live all the time as well.

John
__________________
2015 Laredo CRD
Billet Silver with Quadralift, front recovery hook, Mopar towbar
Upgraded from 2012 CRD that did the job brilliantly for 4 years
1975 Holden HJ 308 Monaro 4dr - oldie but a goodie
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-02-2016, 09:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 107
Thanks: 77
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1101
Kizz302 is on a distinguished road
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

No problem starting that sweet little Eco diesel after over 14 hours running the fridge, did it for 5 days straight. Only issue was on the first night, I had the battery saver set to medium on the fridge and the thing kept cutting out. Second night onwards, I set it to low (ie fridge allowed the voltage to drop lower) and it held 2 degrees.

I'm guessing the voltage drop from the battery to the rear power outlet was a few volts hence requiring the 'low' setting.

Would this use affect the long term life of the battery? The engine turned over exactly as it does when not using the fridge.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 508
Andych is on a distinguished road
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by John47 View Post
You can change the position of the fuse which feeds the 12v rear outlet so that it is live all the time as well.

John
Where do I find the specifics to do that??
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rockingham, WA
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1534
adriwood is on a distinguished road
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andych View Post
Where do I find the specifics to do that??
Andy.

Pages 132 and 133 of your manual describe the change.

Regards

Adrian
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adriwood For This Useful Post:
  #32  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 24
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 508
Andych is on a distinguished road
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriwood View Post
Andy.

Pages 132 and 133 of your manual describe the change.

Regards

Adrian
Thanks :thumbs:
I guess the old adage fits... when all else fails... read the manual...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rockingham, WA
Posts: 148
Thanks: 0
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1534
adriwood is on a distinguished road
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andych View Post
Thanks :thumbs:
I guess the old adage fits... when all else fails... read the manual...
Andy the manual also states that these are 13 amp sockets. Obviously Americans have much smaller amps than we do as there is no way you will get 13 amps through the wiring to the rear socket (see attached - rear socket wiring highlighted), and I am guessing the wiring to the other sockets is as huge!!.

Regards

Adrian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep wiring 5a.jpg (166.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to adriwood For This Useful Post:
  #34  
Old 01-02-2016, 08:57 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 147
Thanks: 17
Thanked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 869
Tillsy is on a distinguished road
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriwood View Post
Obviously Americans have much smaller amps than we do as there is no way you will get 13 amps through the wiring to the rear socket
Correct, imperial amps are larger than metric amps
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-03-2016, 02:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 232
Thanks: 51
Thanked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Rep Power: 1073
SnakeDoctor is on a distinguished road
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
just an update on the evakool 70L fridge situation with the arkpak730 (105AH inside).

the gc survived a 6100km trip over 2wks.
bris-lightning ridge-white cliffs-bourke-broken hill-adelaide-coorong-great ocean road-ballarat-bendigo-parkes-brisbane.
missed 2 roos, 2 emus, couple of wild goats by mere centimeters !

discovered the centre console 12v socket is always live ! never knew that. never managed to get >65watts out of any 12v socket in the car to charge the arkpak on the go. the arkpak is supposedly a 7amp charger which should equal 12x7=84watts
You are trying to calculate power usage all wrong. You are looking at the net input to the battery and thinking it's consumption or an artificial limit on the power output of the vehicle, this doesn't make sense, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball View Post
resorted to having the fridge-> arkpak-> centre console and let the car battery drain/charge the arkpak overnight, since the alternator can charge the car battery faster whereas the 12v socket couldn't adequately charge the arkpak on the go. risky i know, since it could flatten the main car battery but from what i've seen in 35C outback heat, the fridge drains the 105AH battery in the arkpak by about 35% in 13hrs. the gc has a 60AH battery so should be able to to be drained by half and still start in the morning. worst comes to the worst i could always jump start from the ark is the main battery is drained.

good trip. now to clean out the red outback dust from every crack and crevice
You didn't try my suggestion of charging the arkpak and powering the fridge from seperate cigarette lighter power ports on the vehicle? I don't carry any spare batteries and just use the main vehicle battery with a solar panel, so I'm not criticising that part but what you are doing is carrying extra weight for exactly no benefit.
__________________
MY2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD. Mopar underbody, Mopar Rock Rails, Chief front plate+hooks, CRDSTU Lift
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-03-2016, 06:20 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Brisbane,QLD
Posts: 75
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2315
fireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond reputefireball has a reputation beyond repute
Re: portable fridge and 12v socket

actually the power usage indicator in the arkpak is dead on correct. got home and plugged in a 6amp car charger and the readout on the arkpak reads 72watts . tried a 12amp charger it read 140watts on the display. borrowed a mates ctek m25s which is 25amps and discovered it outputted more than 25amp (27amps) giving me 324watts going in.

whereas the 12v cigarette socket in gc only put out 65w from the centre socket.

didn't try your suggestion because of the way i had the wiring to the fridge and to the arkpak .would have to had to unload everything to untangle my wires
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grand Cherokee WK2 drawers and fridge slide for sale thanwintun 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 2 11-06-2015 11:04 AM
12v power socket in RHS panel Pindan Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 5 07-20-2015 12:00 AM
Fridge Slider - access to spare wheel? Scotto101 Interior/Exterior/Visual/Lighting 0 06-20-2015 01:07 AM
Dual socket splitter for 12v Cigar lighter philbytx Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 1 06-11-2015 10:23 PM
Add additional 12v power socket? dustintinsley Audio/Visual/Navigation 3 06-02-2015 08:52 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.