Originally Posted by MadMapMan
@Mark_38 - Thanks for all of this good info. Curious to know why you purchased the Gold version since 'all' it seems to offer over the Silver is an extra integrated RAM stoplight camera?
Some 'contractual' / process questions:
- When you purchased, you provided your VIN and they sent you a token file to enable the CTX ROM on your vehicle only (plus the hardware components by mail). Yes? Nothing more complicated than that?
- How do they distribute the ROM? Website, e-mail, CD, ftp?
- Do they provide you with access to just the revision you purchased, or all subsequent versions?
- How long does your access to these revisions last? Fixed period or forever? If fixed period, how long and what's the 'support renewal' cost
- Are there any 'extra' costs? e.g. you bought Gold, but to get the XYZ feature, that's an extra $30, and $40 more for ABC function.
Some (all?) of these questions may be answered in the long CTX thread
, but I'm only at page 13/70 and there's a lot of noise hiding the real nuggets of info.
Hehehe I think the site has been updated because of me
At the time I wanted the front cam for off road use and wanted a rear camera that I could turn on at any time. At the time it was not clear (well it wasnt to me) that the extra camera was a camera mounted in a RAM tail light. So correct if you have the GC then the Bronze or Silver is the way to go
I am not aware of any difference between the packages other than
Bronze is Software only
Silver gets you the Software and Harness
Gold gets you the Harness, Software and a camera mounted in a RAM tail light.
Best thing would be to email Magnus and discuss what features you actually wanted because the files you are given are specifically build for your VIN
I created an account over at Customtonix to receive the Jeep Garage discount and then placed my order. A couple of emails back and forth to Magnus, ended up sending him my build sheet which gave him all the info he needed and saved me pulling the dash apart to get the Uconnect out to get the details of the back.
A day of so later I received another email with the links to the software download hosted on a file share (can not recall which one but it was something like Rapid Share) and a couple of the utube videos explaining the install.
Download the files, unzip them and place the token file into said directory and make sure it is named correctly
A couple of days after that I received a very well packed box with the harness cameras and RAM tail light
I had a quick look a the videos and the software install was really straight forward, like put the USB in turn car on and accept the install of the new items. I was worried about installing the harness but a couple of members posted videos on how to pull the dash apart and it is really easy then pull the plug off the back of the unit plug that into one end of the harness and the other end of the harness into the unit, put back together - job done
Hardest part of the whole install was running the wires through the fire wall for the front cam
I personally would not hesitate to recommend the system
1. it does everything I originally wanted and more
2. When there has been an issue Magnus has quickly sorted it out (Agreed that the website wasnt clear at the time I ordered that the Gold only suited the RAM so he refunded the difference between the gold and silver package. On both my cameras the wire had been cut to change the view from real to mirrored he offered to send a replacement camera - now that is what I call bloody great customer service
I cant recall ever reading anything about a time frame being put on the future updates?
There has been talk about an update with added features that the Customtronix team have been working on? Maybe that is a question for either Magnus or one of the guys over in the main thread.
I personally would have to assess any additional charges Customtronix wished to implement for updates and whether the updates were actually worth doing since the last couple of updates didnt really change or fix much
Apart from maybe getting the TSB done to correct the way street names were announced (which I solved by turning voice guidance off, turn it back on when we need a laugh) I am happy with the way the system now runs
Great for you to read the whole thread but PERSONALLY I think the thread took off around page 30 where the discount prices were introduced and more people actually started buying and installing it