The Towing thread - Page 125 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Export Grand Cherokee 2011+

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1489  
Old 11-12-2015, 01:37 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 216
Thanks: 4
Thanked 69 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 1085
Steve1307 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve1307 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve1307 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve1307 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

There is a thread somewhere on here relating to the location to pull wires from the engine bay. I believe it is about running a front camera (it could be in the "Customtronix Rax Lockpick 99% software" thread).


Mounting the Tekonsha P3 in the cubby i had to pull apart the centre of the dash to screw it in properly. My cabling for the brake controller came in from the bung at the back of the car and under the carpet into console.

The Towing thread

Others managed to do without tearing apart the dash. not sure how though

__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Laredo CRD - Granite - towing pack only - dodgy proper reverse camera :)
ScanTool OBDLink
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve1307 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #1490  
Old 11-12-2015, 01:45 AM
mjt57's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Gippsland, VIC, Australia
Posts: 181
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 662
mjt57 has much to be proud of
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1307 View Post
Others managed to do without tearing apart the dash. not sure how though
Might've done what I'll be doing - getting an autolec to do it...
Reply With Quote
  #1491  
Old 11-12-2015, 01:55 AM
New Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.0L WK
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
aussiegrandcherokee is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

I have a gc summit with 20 " wheels & tow a 3,300 kg caravan mostly in comfort just depends on which crap highway you are on in Australia



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #1492  
Old 11-12-2015, 04:54 AM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3093
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

Theres a grommet directly above where the steering shaft goes through the firewall. Its the only one and bloody hard to see it exits under the brake booster of which is also hidden
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
  #1493  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 760
Thanks: 33
Thanked 123 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 35828
John47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1307 View Post
Mounting the Tekonsha P3 in the cubby i had to pull apart the centre of the dash to screw it in properly. My cabling for the brake controller came in from the bung at the back of the car and under the carpet into console.

Others managed to do without tearing apart the dash. not sure how though
I've just refitted all the bits from our 2012 into our new 2015.
The Piranha isolator and auxiliary fuses went back down beside the battery.

The UHF went into the space under the passengers seat, with supply to the unit from the aux fuses. The remote handset lead went under the trim at the side of the centre console and finishes in a plug that the handset connects when we are using the van or heading into shrubbery. The aerial is a stubby flex that is mounted on the roof rail trim at the rear.

The rear power supply to the fridge and other stuff is run in 6B&S with an Anderson plug lead. Gives me lots of flexibility and I can connect to the van power supply using an Anderson extension lead.

The brake controller is mounted in the cubby, same as the 2012, however not as much room in this model. Last time I stripped the console and dash fascia, but this time I pulled back the side console trim on the passenger side and was able to see the cubby. I carefully drilled a hole through from the cubby to run the wires and all tucked neatly under the trim along the console. Very simple. Mounting the controller in there took a bit more buggering around with a homemade bracket but it got done. Stop light supply to the controller came from a plug in the tow bar harness loom in the LH rear, and the blue brake activation went from the controller back to the same plug in the harness. Didn't have to exit the body with any wiring.

It is not difficult to pop off the floor level trims and get wiring under all the way to the back - far easier in my opinion than running wiring under the car.
I've got it all done, tested fine and won't be long before our 1000k clocks up and we can give the new truck a run with the van.
John
__________________
2015 Laredo CRD
Billet Silver with Quadralift, front recovery hook, Mopar towbar
Upgraded from 2012 CRD that did the job brilliantly for 4 years
1975 Holden HJ 308 Monaro 4dr - oldie but a goodie
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John47 For This Useful Post:
  #1494  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:19 AM
Mozzie's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 477
Thanks: 23
Thanked 107 Times in 82 Posts
Rep Power: 1585
Mozzie is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

I have just finished installing tow cabling and a brake controller (Tekonsha P3 as many here have recommended). The controller wiring was tricky but I managed to get it through the cable bundle above the brake pedal. There is room but it is fiddly. After removing tape, I punched a hole with a plastic rod aimed to the right where the existing cables go into the area below the brake booster. It is then a matter of feeding cables through and re-taping as shown here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151112_225845a.jpg (357.8 KB, 38 views)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mozzie For This Useful Post:
  #1495  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:21 PM
mjt57's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Gippsland, VIC, Australia
Posts: 181
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 662
mjt57 has much to be proud of
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by John47 View Post

The UHF went into the space under the passengers seat, with supply to the unit from the aux fuses. The remote handset lead went under the trim at the side of the centre console and finishes in a plug that the handset connects when we are using the van or heading into shrubbery. The aerial is a stubby flex that is mounted on the roof rail trim at the rear.
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Where are these aux fuses that you used for your CB radio?
2. How did you mount the CB's aerial and where does the cable run? (any photos?)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #1496  
Old 11-13-2015, 02:00 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gold Coast Australia
Posts: 760
Thanks: 33
Thanked 123 Times in 107 Posts
Rep Power: 35828
John47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond reputeJohn47 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

The Piranha 140amp battery isolator is fitted to a piece of ply that fits down beside the battery neatly.
The isolator connects to the battery and then I took power from the switched side of the isolator, running a heavy twin cable to the rear. Also from the switched side of the isolator I ran power to a standard 6 blade fuse block (Supercheap stuff), that is fitted beside the isolator. Supplies power for for the brake controller and the UHF.
The UHF aerial is fitted to the plastic trim behind the passenger side roof rail. I used a stubby flexible type that neatly fits under our garage door. Lead runs out the end of the trim, just 20mm before bending behind the tailgate and into the body through a grommet about 90mm down from the roof in the LH rear pillar. Perfect.
The lead comes down inside the pillar and past the torch pocket and under the trim forward to under the passenger seat.
Worked for 4 years lovely on our 2012 and can't see why it will be different with this new one. In 2012 I reckon I posted photos in one of the threads in this part of the forum, can't just find them now.......
John
__________________
2015 Laredo CRD
Billet Silver with Quadralift, front recovery hook, Mopar towbar
Upgraded from 2012 CRD that did the job brilliantly for 4 years
1975 Holden HJ 308 Monaro 4dr - oldie but a goodie
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John47 For This Useful Post:
  #1497  
Old 11-13-2015, 04:55 AM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3093
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Where are these aux fuses that you used for your CB radio?
2. How did you mount the CB's aerial and where does the cable run? (any photos?)

Thanks.
I like my idea
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nicjak For This Useful Post:
  #1498  
Old 11-13-2015, 04:57 AM
nicjak's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: victoria
Posts: 865
Thanks: 48
Thanked 124 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 3093
nicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond reputenicjak has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt57 View Post
I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. Where are these aux fuses that you used for your CB radio?
2. How did you mount the CB's aerial and where does the cable run? (any photos?)

Thanks.
I like mine here
__________________
2012, grand cherokee 5.7 overland.
Reply With Quote
  #1499  
Old 11-13-2015, 06:13 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,262
Thanks: 1,128
Thanked 202 Times in 170 Posts
Rep Power: 74949
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by John47 View Post
I've just refitted all the bits from our 2012 into our new 2015.
The Piranha isolator and auxiliary fuses went back down beside the battery.

The UHF went into the space under the passengers seat, with supply to the unit from the aux fuses. The remote handset lead went under the trim at the side of the centre console and finishes in a plug that the handset connects when we are using the van or heading into shrubbery. The aerial is a stubby flex that is mounted on the roof rail trim at the rear.

The rear power supply to the fridge and other stuff is run in 6B&S with an Anderson plug lead. Gives me lots of flexibility and I can connect to the van power supply using an Anderson extension lead.

The brake controller is mounted in the cubby, same as the 2012, however not as much room in this model. Last time I stripped the console and dash fascia, but this time I pulled back the side console trim on the passenger side and was able to see the cubby. I carefully drilled a hole through from the cubby to run the wires and all tucked neatly under the trim along the console. Very simple. Mounting the controller in there took a bit more buggering around with a homemade bracket but it got done. Stop light supply to the controller came from a plug in the tow bar harness loom in the LH rear, and the blue brake activation went from the controller back to the same plug in the harness. Didn't have to exit the body with any wiring.

It is not difficult to pop off the floor level trims and get wiring under all the way to the back - far easier in my opinion than running wiring under the car.
I've got it all done, tested fine and won't be long before our 1000k clocks up and we can give the new truck a run with the van.
John
Great job! Exactly what I would have done... except there is no way I'm getting rid of the MY12 any time soon.
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief Recovery Hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm Sump Protection Plate, Bluespark pro+boost tuning module set on C9, Chief Lower Front Guard
Reply With Quote
  #1500  
Old 11-17-2015, 07:30 AM
mjt57's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Gippsland, VIC, Australia
Posts: 181
Thanks: 13
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 662
mjt57 has much to be proud of
Re: The Towing thread

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything.

I discovered this in another forum.

News – REDARC Electronics

It's about fitting a DC/DC voltage regulating device to vehicles with new types of alternators. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is amongst these. this is to power or to charge second batteries or auxilary batteries. In this case, I'm refering to the installation of cabling to run an Anderson plug to power a caravan's battery/electrical system.

I've not read about anyone here doing this.

All I've read so far is that people connect a set of cables to their battery and have it switched via an "ignition" controlled relay.

I'd like to hear from people about this issue.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing thread steveo Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 290 12-05-2015 03:04 PM
Towing questions. First time towing looking for some input. JTS97Z28 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 08-25-2012 04:53 PM
*****WK2*****2011-??? Grand Cherokee pricing and info thread discussion THREAD!!!! White WK Swagga Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 136 12-13-2010 12:52 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.