Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Export Grand Cherokee 2011+

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #229  
Old 09-04-2013, 05:34 PM
SNUKE's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney, Aus
Posts: 2,541
Thanks: 54
Thanked 212 Times in 177 Posts
Rep Power: 5169
SNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond reputeSNUKE has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Hi Towies,

Can anyone who has had a Mopar towbar installed to their MY14 Grand Cherokee advise that the rear parking sensors are disabled when you plug in a trailer?

I'm getting conflicting reports.

Cheers,
Steve
Nope, you need to turn it off manually

2014 Overland "Parksense" and trailers
__________________

__________________
I'm just want it for the "shorter headlamps".

MY14 GC Limited, 3.0 CRD, Lux II, Granite Crystal, 18" Wheels, Tubular Side Steps.
Could I get my avatar much larger?
Ordered: July 7 2013 Delivered Nov 25th
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Stuch's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 95
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 643
Stuch is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Hi Towies,

Can anyone who has had a Mopar towbar installed to their MY14 Grand Cherokee advise that the rear parking sensors are disabled when you plug in a trailer?

I'm getting conflicting reports.

Cheers,
Steve
The rear park sensors are not disabled on mine. I just have to press the button
__________________

__________________
MY 2014 White Overland CRD with adventure pack
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 956
Thanks: 8
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 2133
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: The Towing thread

OK... thanks Snuke and Stuch. So aside from incompatibility with a Long Range Fuel Tank on the market, are there any other reason/s why I shouldn't buy Hayman Reece? The saving is massive.

Many thanks again,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 09-05-2013, 01:03 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,609
Thanks: 481
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 73383
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
OK... thanks Snuke and Stuch. So aside from incompatibility with a Long Range Fuel Tank on the market, are there any other reason/s why I shouldn't buy Hayman Reece? The saving is massive.

Many thanks again,
Steve
The rear recovery hook has to go if installing a HR bar. This may not be an issue for you. One can snatch just as well, if not better, off the pin in the tow bar receiver anyway. The only benefit of using the Mopar bar and retaining the rear recovery hook is off-road bling and possibly resale value.
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 09-05-2013, 01:30 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 956
Thanks: 8
Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
Rep Power: 2133
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
The only benefit of ///SNIP/// retaining the rear recovery hook is off-road bling...
Well you're right again Bob. I definitely must consider this, as I really had my heart set on painting this "ground anchor" yellow... or red... or...

Thanks mate,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 09-05-2013, 01:56 AM
allypally's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NW Sydney
Posts: 2,126
Thanks: 22
Thanked 119 Times in 100 Posts
Rep Power: 55474
allypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

If you do get the Hayman, make sure you get the hook back.
It may be the same as the one they use on the front, so if you can get a bracket made, you will save a few hundred dlrs.
__________________
MY12 Overland CRD
Cherry Red
Saddle Interior.
Front Recovery Hook.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allypally For This Useful Post:
  #235  
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ipswich, Australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 376
WarrenK is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

Hi,
I have been searching through a number of forums regarding the installation of a brake controller. It appears the P3 is the way to go although mounting position can be an issue. The popular one is in the storage area in front of the console, which my wife won't like (her car most of the time). I was looking at ideas for mounting it when I found a link to a controller test, Direclink.
http://direclink.webplus.net/DirecLink_TL_Sept_2011.pdf
From what I read appears it could be the way to go. Over twice the price(probably 3 times the price once exchange rate and postage are factored in), but considering the amount of money your pay for a tow vehicle and caravan/trailer it is insignificant.
Has anyone seen them or used these controllers.

Warren
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 09-06-2013, 01:10 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,609
Thanks: 481
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 73383
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Well you're right again Bob. I definitely must consider this, as I really had my heart set on painting this "ground anchor" yellow... or red... or...

Thanks mate,
Steve
...or chrome! Shmick
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,609
Thanks: 481
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 73383
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
Hi,
I have been searching through a number of forums regarding the installation of a brake controller. It appears the P3 is the way to go although mounting position can be an issue. The popular one is in the storage area in front of the console, which my wife won't like (her car most of the time). I was looking at ideas for mounting it when I found a link to a controller test, Direclink.
http://direclink.webplus.net/DirecLink_TL_Sept_2011.pdf
From what I read appears it could be the way to go. Over twice the price(probably 3 times the price once exchange rate and postage are factored in), but considering the amount of money your pay for a tow vehicle and caravan/trailer it is insignificant.
Has anyone seen them or used these controllers.

Warren
I know nothing about the DirecLink but I notice in the .pdf it states,

"The second cable (Delphi connector harness) is a four-wire cable that will connect 12V DC, ground, brake-pedal switch and trailer-brake wire. Most trucks and SUVs come stock with a convenient four-wire connection under the dash for easy plug in."

I wish! Many of us have searched high and low for this fabled (blue) connector. It seems US Jeeps have them but Aussie Jeeps don't. That's not to say you can't hard wire it as we have had to do with our P3s. In any case, it seems an overly complex system and I'm not sure what it achieves that other proportional controllers don't. The interface with the CAN bus also worries me. Will it be compatible with the Aussie Jeep CAN which we know has some quirks of its own? The beauty of the P3 is that it is installed downstream of the CAN and virtually invisible to it. Anyway, good luck with it if you choose to go that way and keep us informed.
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 09-06-2013, 02:14 AM
allypally's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NW Sydney
Posts: 2,126
Thanks: 22
Thanked 119 Times in 100 Posts
Rep Power: 55474
allypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond reputeallypally has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Towing thread

Pulled the rear of the car apart today to run the wires for the brake controller.

2nd image shows the wiring behind the rear passenger side panel. The circled plug is the one which you need to tap into for a trailer plug.

The 3rd image is a blowup of the 2nd, showing a better detail of that plug. Can someone confirm that the RED WIRE is the power to the brake light?

The 1st image shows what is behind the driver's side rear panel.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]DSC00831b.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00829a.jpg (206.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00829b.jpg (190.2 KB, 112 views)
__________________
MY12 Overland CRD
Cherry Red
Saddle Interior.
Front Recovery Hook.
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 09-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Ipswich, Australia
Posts: 46
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 376
WarrenK is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
In any case, it seems an overly complex system and I'm not sure what it achieves that other proportional controllers don't. The interface with the CAN bus also worries me. Will it be compatible with the Aussie Jeep CAN which we know has some quirks of its own? The beauty of the P3 is that it is installed downstream of the CAN and virtually invisible to it. Anyway, good luck with it if you choose to go that way and keep us informed.
Hi BobT,
The unit plugs into the OBDII port which an auto industry standard interface port, so doesn't matter what Jeep or what brand of vehicle with these ports it should work.
My understanding of the device is it monitors sensors in the vehicle such as inertia sensors, brake pressure, engine and transmission temp, speed etc. The system can apply modulated voltage(heavy or light braking) to the trailer brakes based on the information from the various vehicle senors.
The unit will start braking the trailer almost as soon as the tow vehicle starts braking. The end result is the trailer brakes are activated quicker than one stand alone proportional units.
It also monitors the trailer brakes and wiring and if a fault is detected warns the driver.
For smaller trailers it probably not worth it, but for the heavier ones could be an advantage.

Warren
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 09-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,873
Thanks: 527
Thanked 845 Times in 465 Posts
Rep Power: 1926989
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenK View Post
Hi BobT,
The unit plugs into the OBDII port which an auto industry standard interface port, so doesn't matter what Jeep or what brand of vehicle with these ports it should work.
My understanding of the device is it monitors sensors in the vehicle such as inertia sensors, brake pressure, engine and transmission temp, speed etc. The system can apply modulated voltage(heavy or light braking) to the trailer brakes based on the information from the various vehicle senors.
The unit will start braking the trailer almost as soon as the tow vehicle starts braking. The end result is the trailer brakes are activated quicker than one stand alone proportional units.
It also monitors the trailer brakes and wiring and if a fault is detected warns the driver.
For smaller trailers it probably not worth it, but for the heavier ones could be an advantage.

Warren
Just an FYI, a Prodigy P3 instantly activates brake on brake switch so the ODB2 is not "faster" and frankly other than on a really rough road where the G Forces in the vehicle were changing radiacally I did not find a big difference with the OBD2 over the Prodigy P3 (which also diagnoses trailer wiring).

Tried a demo ODB2 unit and compared it to my Prodigy P3 and I did not find a big enough difference to warrant the price difference on a 3250KG Trailer that I tow ever other weekend 8 month out of the year.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing thread steveo Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 171 07-21-2014 03:38 PM
Towing questions. First time towing looking for some input. JTS97Z28 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 08-25-2012 03:53 PM
*****WK2*****2011-??? Grand Cherokee pricing and info thread discussion THREAD!!!! White WK Swagga Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 136 12-13-2010 12:52 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community