Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Export Grand Cherokee 2011+

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #577  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:49 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,101
Thanks: 13
Thanked 79 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 2317
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight rider View Post
I tow boats, most around 2t, but some up to 3.5t Mostly short distance up and down the highway-100km each way. But plan to take my boat up the beach from time to time its 2t. Cheers
Have a look if Davis Craig have anything on offer. It might be worth doing simply on the "cheap insurance" principle. 8 gears is a lot in one box... though to be fair you can monitor the trans temp via the instrumentation if you'd rather modify only if necessary.

Out boat is just over 2t, and I'm going to see how it goes... watching closely during Perth's stinkers. Most of my tows are 5 minutes, including swinging by the servo so there's no issue there, but there are odd longer ones I'm sure I'll now be more inclined to do given I'll be getting better than 3km/l at 110km/h

Are you aware of the trans temp instrumentation? It's accessed by using the left steering wheel <- or -> whilst in the gauge mode (the "dial" icon in orange). Sorry I forget what the default view is... someone will save me a trip outside, I'm sure

Cheers,
Steve
__________________

__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #578  
Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunshine coast QLD
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 349
knight rider is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Have a look if Davis Craig have anything on offer. It might be worth doing simply on the "cheap insurance" principle. 8 gears is a lot in one box... though to be fair you can monitor the trans temp via the instrumentation if you'd rather modify only if necessary.

Out boat is just over 2t, and I'm going to see how it goes... watching closely during Perth's stinkers. Most of my tows are 5 minutes, including swinging by the servo so there's no issue there, but there are odd longer ones I'm sure I'll now be more inclined to do given I'll be getting better than 3km/l at 110km/h

Are you aware of the trans temp instrumentation? It's accessed by using the left steering wheel <- or -> whilst in the gauge mode (the "dial" icon in orange). Sorry I forget what the default view is... someone will save me a trip outside, I'm sure

Cheers,
Steve
Hi Steve, yep, know where to view all vehicle temps, etc. I also only have a 5 min tow to our local ramps, have no concerns about that. Probably just keep a eye on it for now. Fuel consumption is great, the main reason I got the JEEP.
You haven't had bad fuel economy until you have driven a 100 ser. petrol cruiser. Saving around a $100.00 at week at the moment, that's without doing any towing.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #579  
Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,101
Thanks: 13
Thanked 79 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 2317
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: The Towing thread

V6 Prado, decent lift, bigger tyres, roof rack... 20 l/100km city & highway average without towing, and no peak hour grind. Insane.

I've bought that car a few times over at the pump, thankfully most were business kays though!

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #580  
Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 AM
BobT's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 1,640
Thanks: 498
Thanked 62 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 73453
BobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond reputeBobT has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
I think it'd depend on the weight of the boat and duration of the haul. For severe work, a trans cooler is cheap insurance. I used to do a lot of heavy sand work North of Perth, with the responsibility to tow out if required. I fitted a trans cooler immediately, even though Prado's are not considered vulnerable in that regard.

Fitting one to the GC shouldn't be too challenging... there's a lot of space behind the grille. What's the details of your haul?

Cheers,
Steve
I think we already have one. Last time I looked I counted 4 radiators up front, water, air-con, inter-cooler and steering. Two oil pipes from the tranny disappeared in there somewhere also. In addition there is the engine oil cooler. It's an on-engine plate type oil to water heat exchanger.
__________________
Ordered 9 Nov 2011 - Delivered 3:30pm Friday 13 April 2012
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3L CRD, Black Forest Green Pearl, Quadra-lift, Off-road Adventure II, Front Recovery Hook, Mopar Tow Bar, Mopar Rock Rails, 150A Projecta Battery Isolator, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Bridgestone D697 265/60R18 LT, Kimberley Kamper Special Edition
MudMap M7 off/on road sat nav, Chief front recovery hooks "chrome", Chief 3mm bash plate
Reply With Quote
  #581  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,101
Thanks: 13
Thanked 79 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 2317
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT View Post
I think we already have one. Last time I looked I counted 4 radiators up front, water, air-con, inter-cooler and steering. Two oil pipes from the tranny disappeared in there somewhere also. In addition there is the engine oil cooler. It's an on-engine plate type oil to water heat exchanger.
I'll be honest Bob; I only had a quick look that fitting would be possible if I felt necessary... I've not studied what's there. Usually auto trans have fluid run through a chamber at the bottom of the radiator core... which is for both cooling and heating. A cold tranny is an unhappy tranny (they don't tend to wear much clothing)

I've seen the guys with big vans reporting safe ATF temperatures here. Could be different with low speeds down on the beach though, KnightRider.

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #582  
Old 01-06-2014, 05:53 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Sunshine coast QLD
Posts: 70
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 349
knight rider is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
I'll be honest Bob; I only had a quick look that fitting would be possible if I felt necessary... I've not studied what's there. Usually auto trans have fluid run through a chamber at the bottom of the radiator core... which is for both cooling and heating. A cold tranny is an unhappy tranny (they don't tend to wear much clothing)

I've seen the guys with big vans reporting safe ATF temperatures here. Could be different with low speeds down on the beach though, KnightRider.

Cheers,
Steve
Would be nice if there was a separate ATF cooler already, I suspect its only going to the radiator. Will have a look see when I get a chance. Cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #583  
Old 01-07-2014, 12:24 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 101
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 507
Jarse is on a distinguished road
Mine has one already. In front of the radiator left hand side as far as I can see.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #584  
Old 01-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: On the road
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 290
filbe is on a distinguished road
Re: The Towing thread

Towbars not available

My Jeep is coming in at last. Just been contacted by the dealer - seems there is a shortage of Mopar towbars and they won't have one for a while. On a towing course soon so no option but to fit an aftermarket one (Hayman Reece) - cheeky lot now want me to sign a form agreeing to an 'after market waiver'!

This is from a Sydney dealer so looks like the problem has spread from Melbourne.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #585  
Old 01-09-2014, 03:04 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,101
Thanks: 13
Thanked 79 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 2317
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by filbe View Post
Towbars not available

My Jeep is coming in at last. Just been contacted by the dealer - seems there is a shortage of Mopar towbars and they won't have one for a while. On a towing course soon so no option but to fit an aftermarket one (Hayman Reece) - cheeky lot now want me to sign a form agreeing to an 'after market waiver'!

This is from a Sydney dealer so looks like the problem has spread from Melbourne.
My God the limp-waisted auto industry. Sign it "Mickey Mouse" or anything else which takes your fancy

You can't sign away your rights to proper workmanship, so their point is???

Cheers,
Steve


I'd be interested to check stock here. Wanneroo had pallets of them... the "old" but compatible ones that is.
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #586  
Old 01-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Butts_Oz's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 200
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 1055
Butts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond repute
I've just completed a journey from Brisbane to Perth via Adelaide. I towed my camper trailer with a highway speed set to 100 km/h over 5024 kms in 61 hours and 29 mins. My average consumption was 11.3 l/100 kms and I couldn't be happier. My towing weight was between 1500-1700 kg depending on water and fuel on board. I kept checking my temperatures with transmission hovering around 92 deg and oil 98 deg for the trip. The overall engine temp stayed in the mid range even during high temperatures outside. One big change was tyre temperatures with the Kumho ranging from cold 2.7 bar to 3.1 bar. This was after starting with higher pressures. My range with 1 jerry can was 1000 km, so I was able dodge the high costs across the Nullarbor with the run from Penong to Norsman possible. Our longest day was 1100 km and I've never been more comfortable as a driver. Just thought I'd put it out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2476537445.jpg (411.6 KB, 36 views)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #587  
Old 01-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,101
Thanks: 13
Thanked 79 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 2317
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: The Towing thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butts_Oz View Post
I've just completed a journey from Brisbane to Perth via Adelaide. I towed my camper trailer with a highway speed set to 100 km/h over 5024 kms in 61 hours and 29 mins. My average consumption was 11.3 l/100 kms and I couldn't be happier. My towing weight was between 1500-1700 kg depending on water and fuel on board. I kept checking my temperatures with transmission hovering around 92 deg and oil 98 deg for the trip. The overall engine temp stayed in the mid range even during high temperatures outside. One big change was tyre temperatures with the Kumho ranging from cold 2.7 bar to 3.1 bar. This was after starting with higher pressures. My range with 1 jerry can was 1000 km, so I was able dodge the high costs across the Nullarbor with the run from Penong to Norsman possible. Our longest day was 1100 km and I've never been more comfortable as a driver. Just thought I'd put it out there.
Welcome to Perth man. All the best in merging traffic

Ciao,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #588  
Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM
Butts_Oz's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane, QLD
Posts: 200
Thanks: 6
Thanked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 1055
Butts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeButts_Oz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
Welcome to Perth man. All the best in merging traffic Ciao, Steve
thanks for the welcome. I had fun driving through the city at 5pm last night picking up my house key. Not good with the camper on behind. I'm looking forward to a few trips over the next 2 years. Might invest in an ARB bar before I get too serious.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing thread steveo Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 178 09-02-2014 09:16 AM
Towing questions. First time towing looking for some input. JTS97Z28 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 08-25-2012 03:53 PM
*****WK2*****2011-??? Grand Cherokee pricing and info thread discussion THREAD!!!! White WK Swagga Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 136 12-13-2010 12:52 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community