Just in case anyone is following my rough VR testing, I spent a while in the car trying various Nav oriented commands. I've got to the point where I can:
- Swich to the navigation home screen by saying "navigation" (about 75% success rate)
- Swich to map view by saying "view map" (about 75% success rate also)
- Set a new route to my home address by saying "go home" or "navigate to home" and confirming with a "yes" (about 95% success rate)
- Cancel the routing by saying "cancel route" (100% success so far!)
Nothing close to entering a destination or finding a POI works with Voice Recognition so far.
It would be interesting to hear how others go. If you can't get any joy, soft reset your U-Connect several times sequentially by holding down the push buttons in the rotary controls under the touch screen. Sorry, I keep forgetting what they are for... I think the left one is "mute". Anyway, I reached this progress point from bugger all working by forcing the unit to reset around ten times in a row. Just keep holding the buttons and count the times the Jeep logo pops up.
Note your GPS accuracy may be a bit rough for a few minutes but settings are retained.
Apparently there is also the "hard reset" of holding down the hot and cold buttons on the driver's (EDIT: PASSENGER'S!) side. This trashes most of your settings. I haven't tried this, however I expect little to gain as I have reached the point where it's become obvious that the road name and POI database is not available to the VR system, or simply not supplied. This is totally unacceptable.
We need to kick up on this. Contact your dealer and make it clear that your purchase decision was based on a scenario such as:
- the VR system allowing the destination entry while moving which you understood the screen keyboard will not;
- that your driving use requires frequent destination entry in response to communications received;
- stopping to do the data entry has caused near misses on re-entering high speed traffic flow and considerable time lost looking for places to pull over.
Do it in writing... I think they will get the picture. I got a more receptive ear when I painted the risk exposure of the situation. Personally, I'd be happy to simply have the motion lock disabled, as I have never bothered to use the Voice Recognition on our 5 Series... I just take my time entering manually as driving conditions permit. It's way less dangerous than changing a CD... especially if it's in the centre console
Oh the stupid irony of that reality huh?
PS: For those who didn't grab it, here's some command info from the previous PDF to play with... I'll also make a copy of the "Quick Reference Guide" I got in my centre console (which I've not hear anyone else refer to yet, but you may all have).
View map.” (Goes to map view.)
“Where am I?” (Shows your current location.)
“Detour.” (Provides an alternate route.)
“Cancel route.” (Cancels the current route.)
“Repeat directions.” (Repeats the directions.)
“Find [city/favorite/place by category/place by name/ recently found/restaurant/fuel/transit/lodging/shopping/ bank/entertainment/recreation/attractions/community/ auto services/hospitals/parking/airport/police stations/fire stations/auto dealers].” e.g., “Find restaurant.”
“Go home.” (Provides directions to the address saved as “home.”)
“Where to?” (Provides ways to find your next destination.)
“Find address: [street address, city, state]”