Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 - > Export Grand Cherokee 2011+

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #457  
Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1317
Ultravox is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFORCER View Post
The v6 petrol is an ok motor, but forget getting 12's/100km in the city as the consumption will more likely be 14>, it is also underpowered for such a big car. We are also betting on the CRD being worth a lot more than the Hemi at sale time. You can also bet that petrol will be continually going up in price, where diesel seems to be more stable in cost, as it does not fluctuate with the pricing cycles. I have also seen the price being equal most of the week, so the difference is just not there naymore, unless you only buy fiel on cheap tuesdays or whatever day it is now. I also have to use 98RON fuel which is always 16c p/l more than ULP, so fuel costs will be better with the CRD.

Who know's which is the right motor, but I knew I would not be happy with the v6 after being in a turbo Territory and the Hemi is thirsty and felt slower than the CRD. As the price was the same as the Hemi, it was a no brainer for me, we do not get the v6 as an option in the overland model. From what I have seen the Hemi in real world city driving is getting 21lt/100km, where the CRD seems to always be under 10lt/100km, this is where we will make back the savings.
Makes sense now. I forgot about standard HEMI in Overlands. Choosing between CRD and HEMI I would probably also go with the first option.
PS I really buy petrol on cheap Wednesdays, he-he
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 AM
licoric's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1331
licoric is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

The laredo V6 is the bargain in GC. Less than 50 drive away and plenty too choose from means deals to had!


The only test drive before my purchase was in that vehicle,
I found the interior layout was excellent, and the cloth seats to be some of the best i've sat on, [9 new cars in 23 years] as for the engine what holds it back is the rather mushy auto, but once on go not a problem, I also liked the way it cruised around the burbs, just nice and easy, after all it is a true 4 wheel drive not a traffic light dragster. I've still got the XR6T in the side drive for that.

My choice for the diesel was based on tow capacity only, I needed 2.6 T, and
then what GC I could get, supply will get better next year I'm guessing, but no matter what the choice, as long as it suits your needs then that's what you go with.

Although mine has some neat features I could have lived without them and kept the 15k in my pocket , just remember, an Overland is a tarted up Laredo
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 07-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1317
Ultravox is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by licoric View Post
The laredo V6 is the bargain in GC. Less than 50 drive away and plenty too choose from means deals to had!


The only test drive before my purchase was in that vehicle,
I found the interior layout was excellent, and the cloth seats to be some of the best i've sat on, [9 new cars in 23 years] as for the engine what holds it back is the rather mushy auto, but once on go not a problem, I also liked the way it cruised around the burbs, just nice and easy, after all it is a true 4 wheel drive not a traffic light dragster. I've still got the XR6T in the side drive for that.

My choice for the diesel was based on tow capacity only, I needed 2.6 T, and
then what GC I could get, supply will get better next year I'm guessing, but no matter what the choice, as long as it suits your needs then that's what you go with.

Although mine has some neat features I could have lived without them and kept the 15k in my pocket , just remember, an Overland is a tarted up Laredo
Totally agree. I could not find anything even close to JGC in $50K bracket
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 07-24-2011, 07:37 AM
ENFORCER's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,053
Thanks: 23
Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
Rep Power: 322149
ENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Jefferson, Coffs harbour is hardly city driving. I was more referring to CITY driving in the way of bumper to bumper Sydney traffic. My Turbo Territory averages 19lt/100km for the past 4 years, as it is the shopping and school bus as well as the family truckster. I would not think for a minute that the Hemi would be any better in my useage. Heaps of short runs tends to use a lot of fuel as they are always on the warmup cycle. I also found the Hemi lazy and missing the urge of the turbo, but then Turbo cars tend to make them feel faster due to the boost hitting.
__________________
Previous Ride = 2011 JGC CRD Overland
Current Ride = 2014 Silver JGC SRT with Pano, HK and Spider monkeys.
Mods = CLSTech Ribbon Mod

Best 1/4 13.4@102Mph
Reply With Quote
  #461  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:42 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Coffs Harbour Aust.
Posts: 159
Thanks: 10
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1472
jefferson.oz has a reputation beyond reputejefferson.oz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFORCER View Post
Jefferson, Coffs harbour is hardly city driving. I was more referring to CITY driving in the way of bumper to bumper Sydney traffic. My Turbo Territory averages 19lt/100km for the past 4 years, as it is the shopping and school bus as well as the family truckster. I would not think for a minute that the Hemi would be any better in my useage. Heaps of short runs tends to use a lot of fuel as they are always on the warmup cycle. I also found the Hemi lazy and missing the urge of the turbo, but then Turbo cars tend to make them feel faster due to the boost hitting.
Hmm, your probably right, I used to do that years ago, probably worse now, I gotta admit I'm not to worried about fuel economy or resale values 5 years down the track... life's to short, all the GC's are great, we spent yesterday out in the forest and finished with a blast along the beach, gotta to tell ya its awesome fun on a deserted beach, hosed under it last night, now to wash it properly... not so fun.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #462  
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Marlin's Avatar
"The Aussie"

My Jeep: 1981 5.7L CJ
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Licmye Bawlls
Posts: 9,362
Thanks: 65
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 81094
Marlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond reputeMarlin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFORCER View Post
The v6 petrol is an ok motor, but forget getting 12's/100km in the city as the consumption will more likely be 14>, it is also underpowered for such a big car. We are also betting on the CRD being worth a lot more than the Hemi at sale time. You can also bet that petrol will be continually going up in price, where diesel seems to be more stable in cost, as it does not fluctuate with the pricing cycles. I have also seen the price being equal most of the week, so the difference is just not there naymore, unless you only buy fiel on cheap tuesdays or whatever day it is now. I also have to use 98RON fuel which is always 16c p/l more than ULP, so fuel costs will be better with the CRD.

Who know's which is the right motor, but I knew I would not be happy with the v6 after being in a turbo Territory and the Hemi is thirsty and felt slower than the CRD. As the price was the same as the Hemi, it was a no brainer for me, we do not get the v6 as an option in the overland model. From what I have seen the Hemi in real world city driving is getting 21lt/100km, where the CRD seems to always be under 10lt/100km, this is where we will make back the savings.

AussieWK2, have you received a VIN for your car ? I would be surprised if you will see your car this year as CRD Overlands are very rare and desirable, we have hear of people being told after mark 2012 for cars ordered in the past few weeks. I hope you do get it soon, but ask for the VIN or E number so you know where it is. This site can track based on that info.
No, not even close.

80,000 klm in my Hemi and normal city driving, without trying to set records, I average 16.2l/100.

And the worst case scenario consumption, with all short trips less than 5 klm along with Very heavy aftermarket wheel (which alone make a 1 to 2 l/100 difference in the city!), it get2 21 to 22 l/100.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #463  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:20 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1332
ultraelvis is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFORCER View Post
The v6 petrol is an ok motor, but forget getting 12's/100km in the city as the consumption will more likely be 14>, it is also underpowered for such a big car. We are also betting on the CRD being worth a lot more than the Hemi at sale time. You can also bet that petrol will be continually going up in price, where diesel seems to be more stable in cost, as it does not fluctuate with the pricing cycles. I have also seen the price being equal most of the week, so the difference is just not there naymore, unless you only buy fiel on cheap tuesdays or whatever day it is now. I also have to use 98RON fuel which is always 16c p/l more than ULP, so fuel costs will be better with the CRD.

Who know's which is the right motor, but I knew I would not be happy with the v6 after being in a turbo Territory and the Hemi is thirsty and felt slower than the CRD. As the price was the same as the Hemi, it was a no brainer for me, we do not get the v6 as an option in the overland model. From what I have seen the Hemi in real world city driving is getting 21lt/100km, where the CRD seems to always be under 10lt/100km, this is where we will make back the savings.

AussieWK2, have you received a VIN for your car ? I would be surprised if you will see your car this year as CRD Overlands are very rare and desirable, we have hear of people being told after mark 2012 for cars ordered in the past few weeks. I hope you do get it soon, but ask for the VIN or E number so you know where it is. This site can track based on that info.
Saying the V6 is underpowered is a sweeping statement, I don't know what your expectations are. This is a two tonne vehicle, but despite that the Pentastar engine pushes it around really well.

I'm getting 12.5 -13 combined, and that's 70% burbs/city to 30% highway. Really happy with that!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #464  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:31 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1392
jaysonf is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraelvis View Post
Saying the V6 is underpowered is a sweeping statement, I don't know what your expectations are. This is a two tonne vehicle, but despite that the Pentastar engine pushes it around really well.

I'm getting 12.5 -13 combined, and that's 70% burbs/city to 30% highway. Really happy with that!
Im the same, getting the same figures. Ive just come out of an FG XR6 turbo and although the jeep is by no means comparable in speed i am happy with the power and the fuel consumption considering the size and weight.

Although id love the Hemi, the boss didnt want to pay the extra in fuel.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #465  
Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1332
ultraelvis is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Jaysonf, have you had a service done by Jeep yet? If so what's it cost for the 12k service?

ta
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #466  
Old 07-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Brisbane Qld
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1392
jaysonf is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraelvis View Post
Jaysonf, have you had a service done by Jeep yet? If so what's it cost for the 12k service?

ta
I haven't had a service yet, i am just about to hit 9000Km's so a little bit to go. My services get charged back to the leasing company but when i do get it done i will make sure i find out how much the charge was.

I have to head over to Perth for the week for work, I'm going to be sad and will miss my Jeep, oh yeah and my gf in case she reads this post
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #467  
Old 07-25-2011, 02:53 PM
nut17's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hastings Hawkes Bay New Zealand
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1296
nut17 is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Our fuel prices in NZ favour diesel even more so than Australia, although we do have a separate road tax for diesel vehicles and annual registration is $200 dearer.

When I took a WK2 5.7 Hemi for a test drive I towed our 2500kg caravan around 130km, from sea level over several large twisty hills then back to sea level. I then returned by the same route, without the van.

Towing = 24.8lt / 100km
Not towing = 12.0lt / 100km

Our 2008 WH Overland CRD returned the following results over the same route.

Towing = 18.3lt / 100km
Not towing = 10.1lt / 100km

On our current fuel pricing, and not allowing for the extra efficiency of the WK2 diesel engine, I did an analysis based on 10,000km over one year, with 3000km towing the van and 7000km general running. This included all the extra costs (taxes) associated with operating a diesel vehicle in NZ.

The petrol (V8 Hemi) fuel cost $4000.00

Diesel all added costs including fuel. $2460.00

Saving $1540 per year.

There is a $5000 premium for the diesel in NZ, but judging by the prices and availability of used WH - WK petrols / diesels at present, that extra value more than carries rifht through the life of the vehicle.

Our new stone white Overland CRD arrives at the dealership tomorrow, and we will take delivery on Friday.

Sold our 2008 mineral grey Overland CRD with 85000km for $47,000 privately, (dealer offered $35k to trade), but still gives the wallet a bashing for the $96990 + on road costs ($2500) for the new one. I am sure it will be worth it as I am confident this new generation Jeep is a worthy competitor, to Audi Q7, VW Touareg, ML Mercedes, BMW X5 and completely outclasses the Toyota Prado in every respect.

Roll on Friday

Cheers Chris
__________________
Chris

2012 WK2 3.0 CRD Overland

Reply With Quote
  #468  
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 PM
ENFORCER's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,053
Thanks: 23
Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
Rep Power: 322149
ENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 DownUnder

Hey Nut, are you saying that in NZ you pay a $5k premium for the CRD over the Hemi ?
If that is the case you are being double ripped by Jeep, as it is the same cost for Hemi/CRD in Oz. It is also crazy how much more they cost just for the car over there in comparison to our pricing. Please post pics and give us a review when you get it.
__________________

__________________
Previous Ride = 2011 JGC CRD Overland
Current Ride = 2014 Silver JGC SRT with Pano, HK and Spider monkeys.
Mods = CLSTech Ribbon Mod

Best 1/4 13.4@102Mph
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did anyone name their WK2? HEADSHOCK Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 98 10-16-2012 09:25 PM
Not A SRT8 WK2 But A WK2 Speed Demon Review! NYCSRTATE Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 17 12-04-2010 12:37 AM
No WK2 for me after all JBaumgart Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 17 06-08-2010 11:25 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.