Originally Posted by BobT
Hi Bob, here you go.
This from a recent trip to Cape York
There were four of us, three Toyota 200 Series and of course our JGC all towing 20’ Bushtracker Caravans. Right from the start it was apparent that the fuel usage was very different and overall the Toyotas averaged 22 l/hundred km and we were 15.5. We towed right to the top and the roads were very good.
We travelled up during the first week of May and encountered very few others and were able to drive most of the road at between 70 and 80kph quite comfortably. On the way back it was a different story, lots of traffic heading up and the roads beginning to deteriorate, badly in places.
The camper trailer fraternity have no idea about road conservation!!
On the way back we went into Lochardt River and spent the first night at Chilli Beach.
During the night a storm brewed up and delivered around 50mm of rain. We decided to leave early the next morning as the rivers have a habit of rising quickly. Our first crossing of West Claudie was Ok but rising and we got to the next crossing of the same river it was up about 1.5m. We stayed on the road that night and were able to get across the next day, only about .5m by that time.
We arrived at the Pascoe and it was up around 1.7m and not showing much sign of dropping. Two days later we were still there camped in a quarry and the river had started to fall. That night it rained again, around 12mm and of course the Pascoe rose again.
On the fourth day we decided to cross, it was around .7m and well within the capabilities of our vehicles and vans. We all crossed but on reaching the other side I was unable to get out of 4WD Low Range 2nd gear. I could move from Drive to Park etc but the gears would not change.
We drove about 5 km like that but it was impossible to keep going. I had a fault code from my Ultra Gauge but without phone contact I could not find out what it was related to.
Fortunately, one of our party had a sat phone so I used it to phone Mark at Sunco and he told me the code indicated no communication from the Transmission Control Module to the main computer.
Where was the TCM, under the passenger seat where I had installed the second battery. Lifted up the cover and there was about 70mm of water covering the TCM. So I pulled the battery out, disconnected the TCM, took the metal back of it and used a hair dryer in the van to dry it and the connectors out.
I also found the hole in the floor that I had neglected/forgot to seal when I installed the battery.
Plugged the TCM back in and away we went. I can’t stress enough how important it is to have a scan tool and a friendly dealer when doing a trip like this as if we could not have fixed it on the spot the costs and inconvenience would have been monumental.
The Jeep did everything that was expected of it and I cannot praise its performance highly enough. Also a big thanks to Mark at Sunco, his knowledge and assistance was invaluable.