If it IS the Crankshaft Position Sensor (trouble code p0320), here is the EASY way to replace it...
EASY!!! After cutting the crap out of my hands and inventing new curse words removing the old Crankshaft Position Sensor from my 2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0, I could not get the bolt back in with multiple extensions and swivels.
I figured there MUST be an easier way, something the stealership is not letting on about.
Fact is, if you go through the firewall under the dash it is EASY!!
Here's how to do it:
1) Remove the plastic bottom panel directly under the gauges. It simply snaps up and out.
2) Locate the 4 10mm bolts that hold the lower plastic panel under the steering column and remove them along with a few phillips head screws as well to free up the panel. Remove.
3) Look behind the console and you will see a small plastic "L" shaped duct that blows air to your feet. Snap it out of its position and remove the phillips screw holding it from under/behind (or cut the plastic flange with a razorknife halfway if the screw is hard to get at - takes a shorty phillips screwdriver. This way you can still snap it back on.)
4) Pull the carpet back and tuck it under the gas pedal.
5) You will see an oval metal plate that the shifter cable runs through as it passes through the firewall. Remove the 2 10mm nuts and pull the plate back.
6) VIOLA! There is the crankshaft position sensor staring you right in the face through the hole in the firewall you have exposed!
7) Insert 11mm socket with extension and remove/replace bolt with ease.
You guys are welcome to buy me a beer when we cross trails