Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WJ > Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM
bruckerben's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1841
bruckerben is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

crap! OK, I will look into it and let you know the results...
__________________

__________________
~Ben
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lansing Michigan via Bowling Green, KY/Dalton, GA/Nashville, TN/Atlanta, GA
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1826
B T C is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

I just ordered Kolak's exhaust for my '01 4.7L. He did a special run of stainless steel tailpipes over Christmas for V8 WJ's & ZJ's. The fact that his exhaust wasn't available in stainless was the only thing that had been holding me back. I'm trying to decide which magnaflow muffler and tip to get. How loud is the large case Magnaflow? Nick said it's not that loud, and that was his recommendation based primarily upon the fact I want a 100% stainless exhaust. I'm 40, and not looking to wake the neighbors. I'm not to happy to hear about the drone, but it seems that one man's drone could be music to another man's ears. Is there any noticeable performance improvement? I hear some people have experienced a 1-2 mpg increase with the exhaust.

I'm going to have to find someone local to do the install. I'm not familiar with any exhaust shops in the Lansing, Michigan area, and I really don't want to end up with a $hitty install.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM
bruckerben's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1841
bruckerben is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

No, this is drone. I replace the Flowmaster 70 with the Magnaflow large case, to reduce the noise. It is not pleasant to be in any longer. I am a big fan of throaty, but when I want it, not when creeping through my neighborhood, pulling up to a restaurant, or merely going up a hill. Not knocking Nick at all, he is terrific, just need to fix it.
__________________
~Ben
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:05 PM
FlyinRyan's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,802
Thanks: 33
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 88627
FlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FlyinRyan
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

The large case magnaflow is not loud at all. I am extremely surprised to hear about Ben's drone issue.

There is a performance improvement with the 3" exhaust. The 4.7 responds very well to a free-flow setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I just ordered Kolak's exhaust for my '01 4.7L. He did a special run of stainless steel tailpipes over Christmas for V8 WJ's & ZJ's. The fact that his exhaust wasn't available in stainless was the only thing that had been holding me back. I'm trying to decide which magnaflow muffler and tip to get. How loud is the large case Magnaflow? Nick said it's not that loud, and that was his recommendation based primarily upon the fact I want a 100% stainless exhaust. I'm 40, and not looking to wake the neighbors. I'm not to happy to hear about the drone, but it seems that one man's drone could be music to another man's ears. Is there any noticeable performance improvement? I hear some people have experienced a 1-2 mpg increase with the exhaust.

I'm going to have to find someone local to do the install. I'm not familiar with any exhaust shops in the Lansing, Michigan area, and I really don't want to end up with a $hitty install.
__________________
Due to my workload, please do not PM me as I do not regularly check my PMs. Thank you :)
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
bruckerben's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vienna, VA
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1841
bruckerben is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 View Post
The large case magnaflow is not loud at all. I am extremely surprised to hear about Ben's drone issue.

There is a performance improvement with the 3" exhaust. The 4.7 responds very well to a free-flow setup.
I agree, just emailed with Nick, he is stumped too. He thinks the pre-cats may be the issue? It sounds like it is coming from the rear, but who knows. I tell you this, I will find the issue and fix it quickly, it is driving me NUTS! I will post when I do, don't stop offering help until I do! This is my second Kolak system, and they really are terrific...
__________________
~Ben
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
dreamer1213's Avatar
Founding Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 918
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2889
dreamer1213 has a reputation beyond reputedreamer1213 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

Dunno how it missed this thread..lol!

The work does look amazing!! Welds are nice and clean, and it looks solid, just like you said!

If you want it coated, Dupli-Color Engine Enamel is the way to go in my eyes. They have plenty of colors.
__________________
{ Hannes }

02 WJ Overland 4.7L H.O V8

Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 PM
FlyinRyan's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,802
Thanks: 33
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 88627
FlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FlyinRyan
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruckerben View Post
I agree, just emailed with Nick, he is stumped too. He thinks the pre-cats may be the issue? It sounds like it is coming from the rear, but who knows. I tell you this, I will find the issue and fix it quickly, it is driving me NUTS! I will post when I do, don't stop offering help until I do! This is my second Kolak system, and they really are terrific...
I haven't had the same experience with Nick as you have, but I'm glad you are "happy" with the service. The 3" exhaust is definitely a nice addition to the 4.7 WJ's.

I've fiddled around with the precats.....and yes, if they are in any way gutted or modified the exhaust can get LOUD....... I ran modded precats + no 3rd cat (I have since swapped everything out for Thunderbolt metallic cats) and it was setting off car alarms idling through parking lots.
__________________
Due to my workload, please do not PM me as I do not regularly check my PMs. Thank you :)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lansing Michigan via Bowling Green, KY/Dalton, GA/Nashville, TN/Atlanta, GA
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1826
B T C is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

I'm looking forward to the exhaust. It will probably be sometime this summer before I get it and actually have it installed. I'm glad he finally did a run of tailpipes in stainless steel.

I've purchased several things from Nick, and my experiences thus far have always been positive. He's always been very responsive. I just installed the Stillen brake setup over Christmas.
__________________
'01 4.7 Limited Up Country, Front & Rear Addco Sway Bars, Pro Comp MX-6 Shocks, K&N FIPK With 9" AEM Dry Flow Filter
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-06-2010, 09:51 PM
FlyinRyan's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,802
Thanks: 33
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 88627
FlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FlyinRyan
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I'm looking forward to the exhaust. It will probably be sometime this summer before I get it and actually have it installed. I'm glad he finally did a run of tailpipes in stainless steel.

I've purchased several things from Nick, and my experiences thus far have always been positive. He's always been very responsive. I just installed the Stillen brake setup over Christmas.
You were smart to opt for the stainless. The aluminized piece leaves alot to be desired.
__________________
Due to my workload, please do not PM me as I do not regularly check my PMs. Thank you :)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lansing Michigan via Bowling Green, KY/Dalton, GA/Nashville, TN/Atlanta, GA
Posts: 87
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1826
B T C is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy4.7 View Post
You were smart to opt for the stainless. The aluminized piece leaves alot to be desired.
I'm not certain, but I don't believe he had ever offered the tailpipe in stainless. He did a special run of some stainless tailpipes over Christmas for the V8 ZJ's & WJ's, and that was pretty much the kicker for me. I live in Michigan right now, and although he probably wouldn't agree, I don't think the aluminized tailpipe would have held up well for very long. I hate rust.

I haven't been able to find any sound clips of the exhaust on the 4.7's with the Magnaflow muffler. I believe the part number of the muffler he typically recommends is 12589. There seem to be a lot of positive comments about this muffler on the web.
__________________
'01 4.7 Limited Up Country, Front & Rear Addco Sway Bars, Pro Comp MX-6 Shocks, K&N FIPK With 9" AEM Dry Flow Filter
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
FlyinRyan's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Myers, Florida
Posts: 2,802
Thanks: 33
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 88627
FlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond reputeFlyinRyan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FlyinRyan
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
I'm not certain, but I don't believe he had ever offered the tailpipe in stainless. He did a special run of some stainless tailpipes over Christmas for the V8 ZJ's & WJ's, and that was pretty much the kicker for me. I live in Michigan right now, and although he probably wouldn't agree, I don't think the aluminized tailpipe would have held up well for very long. I hate rust.

Based on one of your comments, I get the impression you've had some unfavorable dealings with Nick? I'm a picky, pest of a customer, and I've always been pleased. He's answered every email I've ever sent, and usually in a very prompt, and timely manner.
PM incoming....
__________________
Due to my workload, please do not PM me as I do not regularly check my PMs. Thank you :)
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Springfield Va.
Posts: 152
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1914
surfb is on a distinguished road
Re: Custom exhaust installed, new custom shop found in NOVA!

Still looking for the duals on the 2004 WJ 4.7 H.O...With no luck
__________________

__________________
:cool:2004 WJ-GC "Columbia Edition",Inferno Red,4.7HO,AIRAID Cold Air,Borla exhaust,Alpine/Infinity sound system /2013 JK Jeep Rubicon,Dana 44 front/rear,410 gear,lockers-front/rear,sway bar disconnect.freedom top,cheap factory Alpine system....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom Frankie Paint Wars 19 04-01-2013 04:16 PM
How To: Exhaust, WK, CUSTOM true dual pics and description. Marlin Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 44 03-25-2012 05:59 PM
Help me create a custom exhaust! 00wj Performance Modifications 28 09-23-2009 11:29 PM
My Custom SRT8 Exhaust Install... Frankie Performance Modifications 38 08-13-2009 02:13 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community