Exhaust help! - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WJ > Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
PAYTONDEAN4 is on a distinguished road
Exhaust help!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 04 WJ the other day and I have welded up a safari rack for it today as my first mod, about to lift it and put different tires on. Possibly tube doors this summer. So anyway, if I pull the exhaust off from muffler back will I have a problem with exhaust fumes getting into the cabin? It will be dumped right after the cat and before the muffler. What if I put my turndown tip on it? Would that help?

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-20-2015, 01:03 AM
GoPlzGo's Avatar
formerly 14summithemi
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,139
Thanks: 336
Thanked 555 Times in 465 Posts
Rep Power: 25557
GoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond reputeGoPlzGo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Exhaust help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYTONDEAN4 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 04 WJ the other day and I have welded up a safari rack for it today as my first mod, about to lift it and put different tires on. Possibly tube doors this summer. So anyway, if I pull the exhaust off from muffler back will I have a problem with exhaust fumes getting into the cabin? It will be dumped right after the cat and before the muffler. What if I put my turndown tip on it? Would that help?
Yuck in the city, fumes rise at low speeds.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2015, 01:23 AM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582136
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYTONDEAN4 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I just bought an 04 WJ the other day and I have welded up a safari rack for it today as my first mod, about to lift it and put different tires on. Possibly tube doors this summer. So anyway, if I pull the exhaust off from muffler back will I have a problem with exhaust fumes getting into the cabin? It will be dumped right after the cat and before the muffler. What if I put my turndown tip on it? Would that help?
I currently have turndowns on my wk 05 with no cats.. I've been in bumper to bumper traffic with my windows down and haven't had any fumes come in. Given they are right before the axle as you can see in the picture.

Only problem i have with fumes is when im sitting somewhere and throw it into reverse and back up then i smell it with the Windows down. This also happened when i had a normal exhaust setup with the tube coming out the rear.

Im pretty sure since your keeping your cats then you will hardly notice it but might want to through in a muffler and put the turndowns after that. But that is easily doable after the fact if you want to change it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20150319_221830.jpg (94.4 KB, 30 views)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2015, 08:39 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
PAYTONDEAN4 is on a distinguished road
Re: Exhaust help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps View Post
I currently have turndowns on my wk 05 with no cats.. I've been in bumper to bumper traffic with my windows down and haven't had any fumes come in. Given they are right before the axle as you can see in the picture.

Only problem i have with fumes is when im sitting somewhere and throw it into reverse and back up then i smell it with the Windows down. This also happened when i had a normal exhaust setup with the tube coming out the rear.

Im pretty sure since your keeping your cats then you will hardly notice it but might want to through in a muffler and put the turndowns after that. But that is easily doable after the fact if you want to change it
So I should be fine without the turndowns, exactly how I am going to have it? I won't be in the city much at all since I live in rural arkansas. The only slow driving I do is at the creeks when I go wheeling. I just don't want to pass out while driving or wheeling!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Sleeps's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2005 5.7L WK
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,111
Thanks: 0
Thanked 71 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 582136
Sleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond reputeSleeps has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYTONDEAN4 View Post

So I should be fine without the turndowns, exactly how I am going to have it? I won't be in the city much at all since I live in rural arkansas. The only slow driving I do is at the creeks when I go wheeling. I just don't want to pass out while driving or wheeling!
I thought you were going to have turndowns after the Y? Or was i wrong? You wont get the same fumes as me since youll be keeping the cats.

I was just warning you that dumping it directly underneath your jeep will lead to more fumes being around you. If you put more pipe in and dump it farther towards the back will defiantly help. Since they will going more out the back instead of near your windows. Also doubt they will make you pass out or anything of the sort since you'll be in an open area with lots of fresh air.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help help help!! Anyone pleae help! ashenmorality Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 35 07-17-2014 04:35 PM
2012 Jeep Cherokee Flowmaster Exhaust Trade For Stock Exhaust Cibiz Performance Modifications 1 07-06-2014 11:31 AM
My Jeep exhaust vids...4.7 V8 with HO cams, 3" SS exhaust SRt8 conversion Scottina06 Members Rides 13 04-25-2012 02:16 AM
Help me create a custom exhaust! 00wj Performance Modifications 28 09-24-2009 12:29 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.