Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WJ > Interior/Exterior/Visual

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
bsmith0612's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 1999 4.0L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atwater, Ohio
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 16245
bsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond repute
HID's on the way. Been thinking...

Sorry for posting so much... ive had nothing to do as i work second shift and my classes are over.

BUT!! ive got two sets of HID's on the way. me and 3 other people from work ordered them all together to cut down on shipping costs (that isnt cheap!)

ive got plain black factory housings i will be putting my HID's in. I will get Gen III Projectors (http://tinyurl.com/6qnj2qg) but in the mean time, should i take out the metal reflector piece in front of the low beam bulb? or leave it?

also, i got my HID's from DDM Tuning. I purchased 2 6000K kits. one for lows, one for fogs. however, i also purchases mounting brackets and an error code eliminator. should i have gotten two relay harnesses also? i didnt think about that until it was already ordered. (and i got LED bulbs for my eagle eyes. red for turn, white reverse. NO AMBER!!)
__________________

__________________
Brandon

1999 WJ. Dual H/U (upgrading soon)| Eagle Eye Tails, Red Turn LED, LED Reverse Bulb | DynoMax SuperTurbo Cat-Back exhaust | BRAND NEW engine bored .020 over | 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's | 16x8 Vision Warrior wheels | painted gloss black bumper covers and cladding | a few more odds and ends thrown in.

(oo\|||||||/oo)

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Antonio186's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Bridgewater, ma
Posts: 554
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 347147
Antonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0612 View Post
Sorry for posting so much... ive had nothing to do as i work second shift and my classes are over.

BUT!! ive got two sets of HID's on the way. me and 3 other people from work ordered them all together to cut down on shipping costs (that isnt cheap!)

ive got plain black factory housings i will be putting my HID's in. I will get Gen III Projectors (http://tinyurl.com/6qnj2qg) but in the mean time, should i take out the metal reflector piece in front of the low beam bulb? or leave it?

also, i got my HID's from DDM Tuning. I purchased 2 6000K kits. one for lows, one for fogs. however, i also purchases mounting brackets and an error code eliminator. should i have gotten two relay harnesses also? i didnt think about that until it was already ordered. (and i got LED bulbs for my eagle eyes. red for turn, white reverse. NO AMBER!!)

don't remove the reflector piece in your factory housings. you dont technically need a relay harness, i would NOT use the error code eliminators those are generally for CAN-Bus vehicles, not ours WK's would need them. the relay harness will just protect your factory wiring in case of HID malfunction. so your factory wiring wont be damaged. also what bulb type did you get for the fogs were they 9005? let me know how they worked out for you i have been contemplating doing the fogs but since i cannot find a direct 9055 HID replacement i havent yet.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|14 Billet Silver 5.7 WK2 Limited QTII|
|02 4.7 WJ Limited QuadraDrive|
|5000K HIDS Lows/Fogs|6K V-Leds 7w reverse lights|
|Build Thread|
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM
bsmith0612's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 1999 4.0L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atwater, Ohio
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 16245
bsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio186 View Post
don't remove the reflector piece in your factory housings. you dont technically need a relay harness, i would NOT use the error code eliminators those are generally for CAN-Bus vehicles, not ours WK's would need them. the relay harness will just protect your factory wiring in case of HID malfunction. so your factory wiring wont be damaged. also what bulb type did you get for the fogs were they 9005? let me know how they worked out for you i have been contemplating doing the fogs but since i cannot find a direct 9055 HID replacement i havent yet.
i was under the impression the factory wiring was too small to power the ballast. thats what the relay harness was for. and i got the error code eliminator because it was $15 extra and figured if i needed it, then i have it.

When i ordered them from DDM Tuning, there was no bulb/ballast kit for 9055. but when i went to select the 3000K bulbs for the foglamps, it said "9005/9055/H12/HB3" so that told me those four bulbs types were on in the same. I have tried putting a 9005 bulb in my 9055 fog lamps. it took a little jiggling but it went in like it was meant to be (meaning no modification). we will see when they arrive
__________________
Brandon

1999 WJ. Dual H/U (upgrading soon)| Eagle Eye Tails, Red Turn LED, LED Reverse Bulb | DynoMax SuperTurbo Cat-Back exhaust | BRAND NEW engine bored .020 over | 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's | 16x8 Vision Warrior wheels | painted gloss black bumper covers and cladding | a few more odds and ends thrown in.

(oo\|||||||/oo)

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 PM
01grand's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2001 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Prior Lake, MN
Posts: 1,808
Thanks: 37
Thanked 62 Times in 61 Posts
Rep Power: 54441
01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute01grand has a reputation beyond repute
I used a relay harness with my xenon depot kit, they told me it was necessary for the jeep. However we don't need error eliminators/can bus fixes since the wj's don't have canbus. Good luck getting it all set up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Aaron

My Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited, 245/65R17 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS, K&N drop in air filter, Bilstein HD's. De-badged, eagle-eye LED Tails & LED 3rd brake light, Addco front and rear sway bars, Superchips tuned & TM snip, interior 6k LED's, Gen3 ccfl projectors with Volt 6k HID lows, akebono brake upgrade with R1 Concepts premium rotors.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2012, 12:34 AM
bsmith0612's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 1999 4.0L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atwater, Ohio
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 16245
bsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01grand View Post
I used a relay harness with my xenon depot kit, they told me it was necessary for the jeep. However we don't need error eliminators/can bus fixes since the wj's don't have canbus. Good luck getting it all set up!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THANKS! i may be needing the extra luck lol ill see if they can swap me the relay harness for the ECE (error code eliminator) if not, ill look into making my own harness. wiring has always kinda been my thing. it doesnt scare me, until you get into security systems and remote starts. ohhh those d@mn things...
__________________
Brandon

1999 WJ. Dual H/U (upgrading soon)| Eagle Eye Tails, Red Turn LED, LED Reverse Bulb | DynoMax SuperTurbo Cat-Back exhaust | BRAND NEW engine bored .020 over | 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's | 16x8 Vision Warrior wheels | painted gloss black bumper covers and cladding | a few more odds and ends thrown in.

(oo\|||||||/oo)

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Antonio186's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: East Bridgewater, ma
Posts: 554
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 347147
Antonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond reputeAntonio186 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0612 View Post
i was under the impression the factory wiring was too small to power the ballast. thats what the relay harness was for. and i got the error code eliminator because it was $15 extra and figured if i needed it, then i have it.

When i ordered them from DDM Tuning, there was no bulb/ballast kit for 9055. but when i went to select the 3000K bulbs for the foglamps, it said "9005/9055/H12/HB3" so that told me those four bulbs types were on in the same. I have tried putting a 9005 bulb in my 9055 fog lamps. it took a little jiggling but it went in like it was meant to be (meaning no modification). we will see when they arrive
i was told the same thing but i hooked mine up and ran them for about 2 weeks with out an issue and no relay harness. i did how ever have an issue with one of my ballasts, the ignitor was faulty so you had to turn the lights on and off a few times to get the light to come on and stay on. so i thought maybe i do need the harness, i bought the harness installed it and still had the same issue so i knew it was the ballast got that swapped out under warranty and it fired right up. no issues since. i also have an 06 chrysler 300 which is canbus(what a PITA) it needs a relay harness, anti flicker caps, a small 470uF cap on the relay it self to stabilize the voltage going to it cause it fluctuates to much and the relay buzzes like a hornets nest with out it.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|14 Billet Silver 5.7 WK2 Limited QTII|
|02 4.7 WJ Limited QuadraDrive|
|5000K HIDS Lows/Fogs|6K V-Leds 7w reverse lights|
|Build Thread|
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-18-2012, 08:17 AM
bsmith0612's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 1999 4.0L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Atwater, Ohio
Posts: 223
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 16245
bsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond reputebsmith0612 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HID's on the way. Been thinking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio186 View Post
i was told the same thing but i hooked mine up and ran them for about 2 weeks with out an issue and no relay harness. i did how ever have an issue with one of my ballasts, the ignitor was faulty so you had to turn the lights on and off a few times to get the light to come on and stay on. so i thought maybe i do need the harness, i bought the harness installed it and still had the same issue so i knew it was the ballast got that swapped out under warranty and it fired right up. no issues since. i also have an 06 chrysler 300 which is canbus(what a PITA) it needs a relay harness, anti flicker caps, a small 470uF cap on the relay it self to stabilize the voltage going to it cause it fluctuates to much and the relay buzzes like a hornets nest with out it.
wow. sounds like you got one pain of a vehicle there. this is the most "fancy" vehicle ive owned, my WJ is. and its even a Laredo. i had a 98 Olds Intrigue for a short time, but it was just borrowed so i never really owned it. Im also new to the HID world, as well as half the other stuff i plan on doing. Ill see if maybe i can just return the ECE, since i wont be needing it. or sell it on here to someone who does?
__________________

__________________
Brandon

1999 WJ. Dual H/U (upgrading soon)| Eagle Eye Tails, Red Turn LED, LED Reverse Bulb | DynoMax SuperTurbo Cat-Back exhaust | BRAND NEW engine bored .020 over | 265/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's | 16x8 Vision Warrior wheels | painted gloss black bumper covers and cladding | a few more odds and ends thrown in.

(oo\|||||||/oo)

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HID's for JK GlowingGhoul Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK 1 08-24-2011 02:51 PM
HID's blakerugg Visual Modifications 8 03-15-2011 09:32 PM
HID's CatMan879 Visual Modifications 13 06-23-2009 06:15 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.