hears what i did
-need a CD changer with cable, if not can mod something up to use the connection on the back of the head unit were the cd cable goes. part outs and junk yards should be able to provide the cable if not on the 02-04 model might be able to use a computer motherboard jumper cable
-from radio shack pick up item # 274-0246 which is A 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Phone Jack $2.71 with tax (NY) 1/8" Stereo Panel-Mount Phone Jack - RadioShack.com
1/8 = 3.5MM JACK
- need a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable to connection your device to the jack. i found one at a 99 cent store for $1.08 with tax http://www.topchinashop.com/images/AUD-014.jpg
-Then get seem basic stereo wire or even 18 gauge wire and finger out were you to mount the 3.5mm jack.
-Cut 4 cables the same lengthen that it take to get from were you want the jack to the back of you head unit and leave some play room and one other cable for the ground
- Remove the cover around the head unit and the head unit Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Interior trim bezels
- following the schematic http://wjjeeps.com/radio_cdch_cable1.jpg
you have to find audio out left and right which is 1 & 5 on 8 pin side and 1 & 6 on the 10 pin side
- since the 10 pin side is going to the head unit we will use that one, so cut wires 1 & 6 left and right audio
- then you wire it up like this
line 1 that goes to head unit connect to pin 2 on the 3.5 mm jack
line 6 that goes to head unit connect to pin 5 on the 3.5 mm jack
line 1 that goes toward CD changer connect to pin 3 on the 3.5 mm jack
line 6 that goes toward CD changer connect to pin 4 on the 3.5 mm jack
- ground the wire going to 1 on the 3.5mm jack to the body or pin 7 on the 10 pin side
-tape it good or shrink wrap
when you select the CD change and plug something to the 3.5mm jack it will play what is connect to the 3.5mm jack. when you unplug the jack it will go back to playing the CD.
- i did this sine i want a 3.5mm jack and did not want to loss my cd changer or pay $200 for the mopar kit.
- since i ran my 3.5mm jack to on the bottom side of my dash to hide it i grounded to a bolt using a ring terminal under the center console