Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WJ > Troubleshooting/Problems

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 05-25-2012, 01:44 PM
CeuX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 712
CeuX is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Airbag Light On

Hi anyone knew what would trigger that light to come on? I was cleaning under the seat when i disconnected the plug into the seat belt pre-tensioner and BOOM the light come on but I connect the plug back and the light still there. The fuse are good, Also I disconnect the negative terminal on the battery but nothing change.

My jeep grand cherokee limited 2002 V8 4.7l

Thanks
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 PM
Frango100's Avatar
The BEAST from Brazil

My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,337
Thanks: 8
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 524737
Frango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Airbag Light On

The airbag control module is constantly monitoring the system for faults. It will light the airbag light in that case and keep a fault code in memory. Normally the fault light should reset after a fault has cleared, but it can take sometimes several ignition cycles. Did you leave the battery disconnected for a few minutes?
__________________

__________________
Frank

JEEP Grand Cherokee 4.7 Lmtd 2004
HID 8000K in low and fog / Quad Squad member
Monroe Reflex shocks / Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/17 - Transgo reprogramming shiftkit.

VW Beetle 2.0 TSI 2013
My new toy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2012, 12:09 AM
CeuX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 712
CeuX is on a distinguished road
Re: Airbag Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
The airbag control module is constantly monitoring the system for faults. It will light the airbag light in that case and keep a fault code in memory. Normally the fault light should reset after a fault has cleared, but it can take sometimes several ignition cycles. Did you leave the battery disconnected for a few minutes?

Yes I did the reset disconnecting the negative and I check all the plugs and the fuses too but nothing yet. That was tree weeks ago and the light still on.. Sorry for my litter English and Thank You for answer,...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Frango100's Avatar
The BEAST from Brazil

My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,337
Thanks: 8
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 524737
Frango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Airbag Light On

Then there is probably no other way then to look for a DRBIII scanner and have the fault code read/reset.
Did you recheck the respective connector that no pin was bent or pushed back during the reconnect phase?
The battery has to be disconnected for 10 minutes or so, because there is a capacitor in the airbag control unit that has to discharge, and that takes some time.
__________________
Frank

JEEP Grand Cherokee 4.7 Lmtd 2004
HID 8000K in low and fog / Quad Squad member
Monroe Reflex shocks / Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/17 - Transgo reprogramming shiftkit.

VW Beetle 2.0 TSI 2013
My new toy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 PM
CeuX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 712
CeuX is on a distinguished road
Re: Airbag Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Then there is probably no other way then to look for a DRBIII scanner and have the fault code read/reset.
Did you recheck the respective connector that no pin was bent or pushed back during the reconnect phase?
The battery has to be disconnected for 10 minutes or so, because there is a capacitor in the airbag control unit that has to discharge, and that takes some time.
Yes I am Electronic Technician and I recheck with my Multimeter and the connector and the pin looks good no bent or pushed back during the reconnect phase. The battery was disconnected for about 1 HR but not reset the Module.. Can I found that Scanner DRBIII in Store.???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Frango100's Avatar
The BEAST from Brazil

My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,337
Thanks: 8
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 524737
Frango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Airbag Light On

Donīt know where you from, but at least the dealer should have it and maybe even a local mechanic. This type of scanner is quite expensive.
__________________
Frank

JEEP Grand Cherokee 4.7 Lmtd 2004
HID 8000K in low and fog / Quad Squad member
Monroe Reflex shocks / Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/17 - Transgo reprogramming shiftkit.

VW Beetle 2.0 TSI 2013
My new toy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2012, 06:24 PM
CeuX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 712
CeuX is on a distinguished road
Re: Airbag Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Donīt know where you from, but at least the dealer should have it and maybe even a local mechanic. This type of scanner is quite expensive.
Thank You Frango100 lets see if I found something where I live that is Springfield MA I let you Know....ok
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2012, 12:51 PM
CeuX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 712
CeuX is on a distinguished road
Re: Airbag Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeuX View Post
Thank You Frango100 lets see if I found something where I live that is Springfield MA I let you Know....ok
Hey guys I heard something about the sensor under the seat. Those sensor need to be clean with compressed air. Any idea about those sensors.?? But so far my light still on.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-22-2012, 05:19 PM
Frango100's Avatar
The BEAST from Brazil

My Jeep: 2004 4.7L WJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Brazil
Posts: 4,337
Thanks: 8
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 524737
Frango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond reputeFrango100 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Airbag Light On

Not sure about which sensors you are talking now. There are 2 side impact sensors mounted on the lower side of the B-pillars for jeeps with the side curtain airbags. These sensors are not under the seat themselves, not sure if the connector maybe is. An other item is the seatbelt tensioner, but i believe that this was not an option for the North American market. The 2 sensors are electronic accelerometers and there is nothing to clean on them, they are hermetically sealed.
You couldnīt find a shop with a DRBIII scanner yet?
__________________
Frank

JEEP Grand Cherokee 4.7 Lmtd 2004
HID 8000K in low and fog / Quad Squad member
Monroe Reflex shocks / Pirelli Scorpion ATR 245/65/17 - Transgo reprogramming shiftkit.

VW Beetle 2.0 TSI 2013
My new toy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-23-2012, 01:10 AM
CeuX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 712
CeuX is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Airbag Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frango100 View Post
Not sure about which sensors you are talking now. There are 2 side impact sensors mounted on the lower side of the B-pillars for jeeps with the side curtain airbags. These sensors are not under the seat themselves, not sure if the connector maybe is. An other item is the seatbelt tensioner, but i believe that this was not an option for the North American market. The 2 sensors are electronic accelerometers and there is nothing to clean on them, they are hermetically sealed.
You couldnīt find a shop with a DRBIII scanner yet?
Well I already found the place that makes the diagnosis. I get this diagnosis for $45 boxes. Which is good price compared to the factory dealer that costs $120 just for diagnosis. But I am still trying to see and learn by my self what could be... you Know... keep in contact
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 669
Carlos Brown is on a distinguished road
Re: Airbag Light On

CeuX,

I had the same problem for some time and tried running codes. I later found out that the Air Bag system is not accessed through the OB-II/OB-III codes. It requires an expensive tool that most only repair shops have. Chrysler wanted $100 to run the codes.

I opted to replace my 2002 Air Bag Control Module with a late model 2004 unit. It is an ungraded unit that can be swapped into earlier year WJ's without any additional installation requirements. It eliminates the two front end impact sensors from the programming.

Since the install I have not had an Air Bag light illumination... The Service Bulletin can be accessed on WJJeeps...

Regards,

Carlos
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
CeuX's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 712
CeuX is on a distinguished road
Re: Airbag Light On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Brown View Post
CeuX,

I had the same problem for some time and tried running codes. I later found out that the Air Bag system is not accessed through the OB-II/OB-III codes. It requires an expensive tool that most only repair shops have. Chrysler wanted $100 to run the codes.

I opted to replace my 2002 Air Bag Control Module with a late model 2004 unit. It is an ungraded unit that can be swapped into earlier year WJ's without any additional installation requirements. It eliminates the two front end impact sensors from the programming.

Since the install I have not had an Air Bag light illumination... The Service Bulletin can be accessed on WJJeeps...

Regards,

Carlos
I am still have the problem, inspection shop cost $90 box more ore less and I check all the cable and fuse and nothing found... thank you Carlos o Gracias si entiendes Espaņol,,
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
now airbag light on jeep5.7 Grand Cherokee - WK 8 12-04-2011 08:17 PM
Airbag Light SupWiz17 Troubleshooting/Problems 5 10-06-2011 02:04 PM
Airbag Light fadi.atiah@gmail.com Grand Cherokee - WK 5 06-13-2011 10:19 PM
airbag light jdubgrand Grand Cherokee - WK 25 02-23-2011 03:21 PM
ABS Light & Airbag light ilirdino Troubleshooting/Problems 5 06-10-2010 03:34 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community