Seeking general idea as to what may have shorted out in the WJ this afternoon, as I will tow it home tomorrow morning so that I can have a go at repairs. Trying to save a few dollars if I can.
Usual flooding for this time of the year and so driving around in .5 metre plus of water will force water up into the engine bay at some stage.
Had been driving for 20 minutes pulled over to the side of the road and then the WJ would not turn over.
Initially sounded as if I had a flat battery when trying to start it, however I could hear an arcing sound under the bonnet while attempting to turn it over.
Bonnet up (in the monsoonal rain) and the smell of plastic melting emanating from under the battery. Turned it over a couple more times and more arcing and smoke, then car would not turn over at all.
Pulled battery out but couldn't see any wiring damage .Basically ran out of light and visibility to dig deeper. Tried someone else's battery, but as it was in the dark I put pos to neg and got a few extra sparks for my foolishness.
Appears that everything still works (lights, interior air con etc..) but still wont turn over. WJ on side of road and will tow in the AM.
Should I be looking at the starter motor wiring, cables or is there a relay underneath the battery plate that could be wet and has shorted out?
Any ideas, please advise as I will be under the bonnet in 7 hours?