Those with the 4.7L and hydraulic cooling fan know there are a few problems with the power steering system. The first problem was the original pressure hose typically starts leaking at the pump fitting. This is easily fixed with the redesigned hoses available. The second problem is inevitably the pump will wear out, especially if like me you ran with the hose leaking for a while and weren't diligent enough at topping off the fluid.
To replace the pump you will need:
- new/reman power steering pump (I got one that included the reservoir, you can save a few bucks getting just the pump but mine looked like it was starting to split in the back).
- new pulley (you could use a puller to reuse the old one, but mine had a chip in it, and for $12 why not?)
- 1 or 2 new small hose clamps
- 1 quart of PS fluid (Mopar 5931 equivalent, which after checking a few labels most parts stores carry a fluid that is)
For tools I believe it was a 1/2 inch deep socket that I used to pull the bolts holding the pump in place, a wrench to rotate the belt tensioner, a 21mm wrench for the pressure hose fitting, and a pliers to remove the hose clamps. Also, a screwdriver or appropriate socket to tighten your new hose clamps.
I recommend using a press to press the pulley onto the pump, mine came with a bolt/nut/washer "tool" that I was able to press it on with, but it was a pain in the ass. Doable, but if you have access to a press (I forgot I could have asked the shop guys at work to do it) it will be much easier.
Here are the steps I took to swap out the pumps:
1. Remove the drive belt, set aside. This would be a good time to inspect it and replace if it is old or cracking.
2. Remove the pressure hose from the pump. Once it was out I tipped it down to drain some of the fluid out of it, then wrapped a rag over the end and bent it out of the way.
3. Loosen and remove the 3 bolts holding the pump to the engine. I used a 1/2" deep socket, my short socket with extension was too long and hit the fan shroud.
4. Once the pump is loose, I turned it on its side to remove the 2 return lines (one from the fan, one from the gear/cooler). I found one of them had a "constant tension" style band clamp on it, the other had a crimp on single use clamp, so I carefully pried that loose, and then went to the parts store for a new worm drive band clamp. The hoses may need some convincing to come off, but be careful not to damage them.
5. I now found that there wasn't much room to remove the old pump, so I took off the upper radiator hose and was able to get it out that way. I then grabbed the new pump and slid it back in the opposite way I pulled out the old one.
6. Reattach the return hoses. They slid right on, then I just had to tighten up the hose clamps to hold them in place.
7. Next I bolted the pump back to the engine. I started each one by hand to make sure they went in right, and then tightened them up good with the ratchet.
8. Next I reattached the pressure hose. Make sure you have an o-ring on the end of it, my pump came with a new one.
9. I then put the cap on and reattached the radiator hose. Since I didn't lose much coolant (not even down in the radiator) I just pulled the bleed plug and topped it off. No gurgling noises, everything is good there.
10. Fill 'er up! It took 1 16 oz. bottle to fill up the reservoir, and I spun the pump by hand a bit to hopefully prime it. Then I re installed the drive belt.
11. Start your engines! It squealed a bit at first when I started as it worked the air out, but then quieted down. I turned the wheel back and forth to work the air out and topped off the fluid as needed.
12. Wipe off the old pump and pack it in the box for the core return. (If you bought a reman pump).
Wow, I didn't even realize how bad the pump was getting until I drove it around with the new pump.
Its super quiet and smooth now at idle like going in and out of a parking space, and it takes less effort to turn overall. $120 at Advance Auto was well spent for the improvement, especially before cold weather sets in again and the condition gets worse. <- thats for your Dave!
Wow that got kinda long winded, but its really not that tough a job to do. Took me a little over 2 hours including muscling the pulley onto the new pump. Sorry there's no pics, but I forgot and it wasn't that interesting of a job lol.