Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Off Topic > Other Rides

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #97  
Old 01-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 418
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
The other big thing about the Jeep is the amount you can get off the sticker. My GC stickered just below $40k...I paid $32,500. Earlier this year I was looking at a $48,500 Overland. $42k doable...when you think about that its an even better value. Can't get those kinds of deals on a Toureg...
That is absolutely true. The Toureg sells for a couple of thousand off sticker at most and the dealers don't seem to get a lot of them.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 418
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setoutguy View Post
BMW hasnt made a decent 3 series since the E30 and 5 series since the E28. Both the E36 and E46 had rear subframe issues and then the door frame issue. Damn I wish I kept a nice low mileage E30M3 under a cover in the back of my garage. Best RWD BMW ever made. Probably the best BMW ever made along with the M1.
I owned or leased two E36s and four E46s. Didn't have either problem with any of them. Had to call the tow truck for the 99 E46 and a 98 E36 but the other four cars were never out of service (aside from a couple of body ship visits). The E46 was the best looking 3 with the nicest interior IMHO.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,603
Thanks: 41
Thanked 95 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 44116
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Impression 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
Thats not the only thing they upgrade. Overland and Summit models have high quality genuine wood trim, wood/leather steering, Summit models get upgraded carpeting and an alcantara headliner as well as a few other trim items (different audio speaker coverings, etc).

A loaded Summit V8 is $55,855. That vehicle can be purchased UNDER $50k with little effort. What else under $50k offers that blend of quality, performance, interior comfort and quality, and capability?

VW is really mainstream+. The Toureg starts at $44,000, $16,000 more than the JGC. A loaded Toureg V6 (there is no V8) is $58,000 and doesn't even have several features the JGC has. When you compare it to a loaded V6 Summit, the price of the summit drops under $52k.

The Toureg is about $10k more than a loaded Summit JGC...even wider when you really look at the idea that the Toureg is really more comparable to an Overland at that trim.
An Overland is also available under 50K easy, and unlike the Summit, you can get OR-II for even better off road capability.

My personal suspicion is that VW-Porsche de-contented the Touareg after the first couple years when the reviews all preferred it to the Cayenne. An early Touareg had a very nice 5 liter V10 diesel available as an option--too bad is still isn't as although I'm not a big fan of the teutonic interior look, I am a big fan of a diesel with over 300 horsepower and over 550 ft/lbs of torque. And with Audi taking on that engine, I can just imagine what a street version of the LeMans diesel could do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 01-09-2014, 07:01 PM
Hitchhiking
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Setoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Impression 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
I owned or leased two E36s and four E46s. Didn't have either problem with any of them. Had to call the tow truck for the 99 E46 and a 98 E36 but the other four cars were never out of service (aside from a couple of body ship visits). The E46 was the best looking 3 with the nicest interior IMHO.

My brother's E46 coupe had to under go the door jam recall. Not sure if it was through NHTSA or one of BMW's secret recalls and then the rear subframe. Dealer tried to a quickie job and pocket the difference but our BMW mechanic caught and NA wasnt real happy with BMW of Sterling. Not a good move stealing from corporate. He sold that and got a TL which he hated and he now has 2011 3 series 4 dr.

E30 will always be the best looking and handling.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 PM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 17
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 1303557
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Impression 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
That is absolutely true. The Toureg sells for a couple of thousand off sticker at most and the dealers don't seem to get a lot of them.
Absolutely, the best deal I could get on one was about $2,500 off.

Another option for you is to wait for the new Porsche Macan...don't know if something like that is too small...or an Audi Q5?
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 418
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post
Absolutely, the best deal I could get on one was about $2,500 off. Another option for you is to wait for the new Porsche Macan...don't know if something like that is too small...or an Audi Q5?
Too small for me. I need something about the same size as the X5. Too much smaller and I will have unhappy passengers. Too much larger and it won't fit into my Manhattan parking garage space. The JGC and Toureg/Cayenne both fall into the acceptable size envelope. So do the RR which is expensive and hard to get and the new. x5 which I don't like.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 PM
Radknight's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 450
Thanks: 8
Thanked 35 Times in 33 Posts
Rep Power: 2713
Radknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond reputeRadknight has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Impression 2014 BMW X5

I don't mind the new X5 at all. The fit and finish are miles ahead of the Jeep GC but I guess you pay for that. I have heard that the driving experience has been numbed down a bit. However, even if it came out before I bought my SRT I doubt I would've bought one. I was even checking out the 3.0 Diesel X3 but it's too dainty for what I was looking for even though the 3.0L diesel engine is a hammer in it. For the asking price, the X5 has always had a reputation for questionable reliability while parts and service is questionably expensive and customer service doesn't quite match what you pay for. This is all input from my Bro-in-Law that has a '09 X5 Diesel, my other bro-in-law that has a '12 X5 petrol and word of mouth by other owners that warned me off of the X5.

Build quality seems much better but I would still rather know what I was getting into and get value (SRT) rather than pay much more expecting better but always having that niggling feeling that something bad is going to happen soon. Any BMW, or any other German car for that matter, is nearly double the price in Australia than it is in the USA or UK so we tend to feel the pinch harder when you sink big money into something and get burned.

I loved my Lexus and might've gone with the RX350 if it wasn't for that wimpy, sterile interior. They should've put flowers on the upholstery.

Audi SQ5 is an absolute hammer but still its part of the VW group and it's too small and posh for what I wanted. Oh yeah, and way too expensive for what you get.

And don't get me started on Range Rovers. Checked out the Evoque and Discovery. Can't see it.
__________________
2014 SRT - Bright White/Sepia/Pano/HK/Spidermonkeys/Tow/Tint/Injen CAI/CLS Mod/Lower Grill Badge
Delivered: 22NOV13
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 01-09-2014, 08:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 418
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radknight View Post
I don't mind the new X5 at all. The fit and finish are miles ahead of the Jeep GC but I guess you pay for that. I have heard that the driving experience has been numbed down a bit. However, even if it came out before I bought my SRT I doubt I would've bought one. I was even checking out the 3.0 Diesel X3 but it's too dainty for what I was looking for even though the 3.0L diesel engine is a hammer in it. For the asking price, the X5 has always had a reputation for questionable reliability while parts and service is questionably expensive and customer service doesn't quite match what you pay for. This is all input from my Bro-in-Law that has a '09 X5 Diesel, my other bro-in-law that has a '12 X5 petrol and word of mouth by other owners that warned me off of the X5. Build quality seems much better but I would still rather know what I was getting into and get value (SRT) rather than pay much more expecting better but always having that niggling feeling that something bad is going to happen soon. Any BMW, or any other German car for that matter, is nearly double the price in Australia than it is in the USA or UK so we tend to feel the pinch harder when you sink big money into something and get burned. I loved my Lexus and might've gone with the RX350 if it wasn't for that wimpy, sterile interior. They should've put flowers on the upholstery. Audi SQ5 is an absolute hammer but still its part of the VW group and it's too small and posh for what I wanted. Oh yeah, and way too expensive for what you get. And don't get me started on Range Rovers. Checked out the Evoque and Discovery. Can't see it.
Ironically the X5 is built in the United States (South Carolina). It also has the same transmission as the V8 Jeep. In the US I have found the after sales support pretty decent and four the first four years the car will cost almost nothing to maintain (just tires basically).

BMW has delivered a few 2014 lemons with the new X5. They have already bought back one owned by a bimmerfest poster. The car was less than a month old.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 01-09-2014, 09:22 PM
SW03ES's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gaithersburg, MD
Posts: 1,853
Thanks: 17
Thanked 61 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 1303557
SW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond reputeSW03ES has a reputation beyond repute
Re: First Impression 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
Too small for me. I need something about the same size as the X5. Too much smaller and I will have unhappy passengers. Too much larger and it won't fit into my Manhattan parking garage space. The JGC and Toureg/Cayenne both fall into the acceptable size envelope. So do the RR which is expensive and hard to get and the new. x5 which I don't like.
Yeah that's why I didn't get a Q5, too small.
__________________
~Steve~
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6 4X4. Maximum Steel w/ Vesuvio Jeep Brown/Indigo Blue. Advanced Tech Pkg.
2013 Lexus GS350 AWD, Liquid Platinum w/ Flaxen. Luxury & Cold Weather Pkg
Previous Jeep: 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo X w/Nav, QT1 & Trailer Tow
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 640
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 22465
YjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond reputeYjagetaJeep has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW03ES View Post

Yeah that's why I didn't get a Q5, too small.
Test drove the Q5 3.0 when I was looking at SUVs. It was too small for me too but damn that thing was quick and handled as good as my 325i
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 418
ADGrant is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YjagetaJeep View Post
Test drove the Q5 3.0 when I was looking at SUVs. It was too small for me too but damn that thing was quick and handled as good as my 325i
That's what the "German" SUVs are aiming for, the road feel of a German sedan. Toureg and Cayenne really pull this off too.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM
UpCountry's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1749
UpCountry is on a distinguished road
Re: First Impression 2014 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsi jeep View Post
X5 is a nice vehicle!!! It was also on my short list under #2, but the reason I went with Jeep is:
-X5 can not pull snowmobile trailer for winter fun in Wisconsin
-X5 can not pull boat or camper for summer fun.
Really? I must be getting it all wrong! Over 400 pounds of tonque weight here and not a bit of sag. Stable and tows like a champ.
__________________

__________________
2011 BMW X5M
2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
2005 BMW X5 4.8is
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 BMW X5 vs 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sleestak Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 43 04-16-2013 12:08 PM
First Impression with Trinity HAMMMERHEAD Tuners/CMR/Dyno/Datalogging/Gauges 16 12-19-2012 05:52 PM
Saddle Interior durability,wear and general impression banjobill Interior/Exterior/Visual 23 03-28-2012 01:07 PM
My impression of the Hemi now vs my old ('05) Hemi BuckeyeSRT Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 02-06-2012 10:40 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.