Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2014+ Cherokee-KL

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #85  
Old 08-25-2013, 09:53 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927057
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Just an FYI the NAV system in all the 8.4s is a Garmin system.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 502
jtdelisio is on a distinguished road
Re: 8.4 questions?

I think when thinking about External or internal NAV one should consider how they would like to live the rest of their lifestyle.

Consider the refrigerator: When upgrading homes/kitchens do you prefer an integrated refrigerator or one that is free standing?

The internal NAV to me isn't just a feature vs. feature kind of thing because we could go all day on that. That's just business commerce. I'm thinking about the aesthetics of my brand new ride. The pros/cons that weigh each option apart are too minute.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 435
Dan_public has much to be proud of
Re: 8.4 questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
Hey as long as it works for you, that is great. As for Navigon, you are incorrect on the data thing. You need to download the maps and POI each time for each area you are in. If you travel outside that area it must download more information (I have an Android and an iPhone 5)

As I said, I use a Garmin, I just think your arguement about automotive manufacturers being wrong on the in car NAV doesn't have a case. I work for all kinds of brands and built in NAV is up 300 Percent this year alone. Also you wouldn't believe how pissed the Cadillac buyers are that you cannot add NAV to the CUE system if it doesn't have it.

So whatever up river swimming they are doing it seems to be selling better year over year. Until that doesn't happen, why would they change?

Edit: Also, you try the voice on a 3597 (or probably any NAV stuck to a window without an external mic) and see how well it works when it is raining.... as in not at all.
Yes, with Navigon you need to ensure that the map for your specific region and download - just like any other GPS system. If you want to download maps for all regions, you just click "Select all maps". In any case, I would simply download the maps connected to my WIFI. (Of you could do it using over cellular if WIFI was not available.)

To repeat.. With an Navigon, once the maps are download, you do NOT need cellular access. That is completely FALSE!.

Since I only have Washington and Oregon downloaded, I decided to test the download speed using the Alaska maps. A 62 MB, it's one of the larger files. It took 26 seconds to download and install over WIFI.

For the rain thing, I haven't heard of people having that issue so I'll have to take the chance.

In any case, it's my money and my choice. You can choose as you wish.

Dan.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 435
Dan_public has much to be proud of
Re: 8.4 questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
Just an FYI the NAV system in all the 8.4s is a Garmin system.
Not even remotely relevant. Uconnect uses a completely different update system. That is the issue.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 435
Dan_public has much to be proud of
Re: 8.4 questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdelisio View Post
I think when thinking about External or internal NAV one should consider how they would like to live the rest of their lifestyle.

Consider the refrigerator: When upgrading homes/kitchens do you prefer an integrated refrigerator or one that is free standing?

The internal NAV to me isn't just a feature vs. feature kind of thing because we could go all day on that. That's just business commerce. I'm thinking about the aesthetics of my brand new ride. The pros/cons that weigh each option apart are too minute.
Each of us defines that which is important to US. You value aesthetics. I value updated maps. I strongly suggest that you NOT comment on what is important to me and I'll return the favor.

Dan.

p.s. I prefer a free standing refrigerator, but that's not relevant.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 502
jtdelisio is on a distinguished road
Re: 8.4 questions?

Woah! I was only insinuating food for thought.

I'm just mentioning things to consider. The interface software with the uConnect is getting great reviews on the GC (utilizing the same 8.4" system that the Cherokee will adopt).

Navigon is by far the best GPS device for road mapping out there so if that is what is important to you than great. Mapquest is terrible, Bing maps are terrible, Yahoo maps are decent and google leads the pack. TomTom is garbage and Garmin has become more customer oriented and open minded which has lead to their recent success in the industry. Doesn't it make you wonder though why they are forming an alliance with the competition of integrated NAV?

Every experience I've had in a vehicle with integrated NAV I have always felt better about not getting lost than I have with a module GPS. And that's the purpose of having the best maps right? So you don't get lost?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 435
Dan_public has much to be proud of
Re: 8.4 questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdelisio View Post
Woah! I was only insinuating food for thought.

I'm just mentioning things to consider. The interface software with the uConnect is getting great reviews on the GC (utilizing the same 8.4" system that the Cherokee will adopt).

Navigon is by far the best GPS device for road mapping out there so if that is what is important to you than great. Mapquest is terrible, Bing maps are terrible, Yahoo maps are decent and google leads the pack. TomTom is garbage and Garmin has become more customer oriented and open minded which has lead to their recent success in the industry. Doesn't it make you wonder though why they are forming an alliance with the competition of integrated NAV?

Every experience I've had in a vehicle with integrated NAV I have always felt better about not getting lost than I have with a module GPS. And that's the purpose of having the best maps right? So you don't get lost?
My apologies. I'm getting a bit irritated with some of the other posts where people throw out misinformation and claim it as fact.

My concerns are about the Uconnect update process. To the best of my knowledge, I have never commented negatively about the quality of the maps. If they changed their update process, I'd probably buy it.

Dan
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:19 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927057
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_public View Post
Not even remotely relevant. Uconnect uses a completely different update system. That is the issue.
Really? Downloaded data provided by Navteq loaded on an SD Card, sounds similar to me. So the only difference is how much that costs. So if they offer lifetime subscriptions they will essentially be the same?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:00 AM
Barboots's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,170
Thanks: 17
Thanked 90 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 2405
Barboots has disabled reputation
Re: 8.4 questions?

- Hey I'm wondering what to buy, "this" or "that"?
- Hi... "that" offers you fantastic usability for a moderate price. We like it.
- Hey "that" is shit. What a rip-off. I paid next to nothing for "this" and it works better than "that"
- Ummmm... what was your question again???

I'm loving this thread... subscribe me!

Cheers,
Steve
__________________
2014 Overland CRD
Perth, Western Australia
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927057
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
- Hey I'm wondering what to buy, "this" or "that"?
- Hi... "that" offers you fantastic usability for a moderate price. We like it.
- Hey "that" is shit. What a rip-off. I paid next to nothing for "this" and it works better than "that"
- Ummmm... what was your question again???

I'm loving this thread... subscribe me!

Cheers,
Steve
It is good isn't it.... I don't really care which option people get but the discussion is outstanding!

Not like I get a choice with my JGC Summit, it comes with it and I will update it every 2 years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 08-26-2013, 07:49 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,171
Thanks: 318
Thanked 346 Times in 302 Posts
Rep Power: 1801657
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 8.4 questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barboots View Post
- Hey I'm wondering what to buy, "this" or "that"?
- Hi... "that" offers you fantastic usability for a moderate price. We like it.
- Hey "that" is shit. What a rip-off. I paid next to nothing for "this" and it works better than "that"
- Ummmm... what was your question again???

I'm loving this thread... subscribe me!

Cheers,
Steve
You don't need to subscribe to this thread. You already have a better grasp of the situation than most of those 'picking sides'.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 435
Dan_public has much to be proud of
Re: 8.4 questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post
Really? Downloaded data provided by Navteq loaded on an SD Card, sounds similar to me. So the only difference is how much that costs. So if they offer lifetime subscriptions they will essentially be the same?
It's obvious you want to start an argument. I'm ignoring you from now on. Reread my other posts to find the answer.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MY 14 - Few Questions jorn Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 5 08-09-2013 12:54 AM
(2) questions jeep5.7 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 07-16-2013 07:40 PM
Few questions Duff Daddy Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 9 07-09-2012 08:53 PM
2 Questions. NHWK05 Grand Cherokee - WK 9 08-28-2010 09:06 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community