Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2014+ Cherokee-KL

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 535
jtdelisio is on a distinguished road
9 speed German Transmission

I was driving my V6 TH trying to see how I could get the best gas mileage and I came up with a hypothesis: This German made ZF transmission is made for autobahn and european driving.

WHY?

I was just stationed in Germany for 2 years so I'm actually accustomed to driving on the autobahn and know that there is no speed limit (120km/hour is SLOW). While on I-95 I found that my active gas mileage function gave me the best mileage while going a steady 75-80+ mph. I've heard no one getting to use the 9th gear yet but don't have that much experience with it yet. Typical American 5-6 speed transmissions get the best gas mileage on flat land at 55 mph. Eurospec cars get on average better gas mileage than American cars because of the way their gears are tuned. I drove a 1997 4 door 1.6L VW Golf for the 2 years I was there and got 40MPG when driving 140 km/hour. Take it down to 120 km/hour and I would get 40+. If VW could have marketed a 40mpg vehicle in America in the late 90's GM would have went bankrupt sooner and vanished rather than rebounded.

I hope this generates a lot of conversation, because I'm honestly trying to get the best out of this vehicle economically and I think those living in Montana are going to reap the most reward :P
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 4.0L LJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 677
hudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

As high geared as 9th is, I don't see you even being able to shift into it until about 90MPH (approx 1800 RPM, I did the math). Below that I don't think the V6 has enough power to maintain the vehicle speed. I regularly see 8th on the freeway to/from work. At 70mph, the engine is running less than 1500RPM.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Marlon_JB2's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2010 3.7L KK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jefferson North Assembly Plant
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 49
Thanked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Rep Power: 86958
Marlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Marlon_JB2 Send a message via Yahoo to Marlon_JB2 Send a message via Skype™ to Marlon_JB2
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

German? Hardly.

Built by Chrysler, to Chrysler specifications.
Built here in the USA... by Chrysler.
... using Chrysler programming.

AFAIK, the 928TE/948TE (depending on engine) is only BASED on a ZF design, just like the 845RE. Chrysler does pay licensing fees for building it though. I'd be willing to bet that the transmissions are not interchangeable. They also own all of the intellectual property.

But I do understand your point totally.
__________________
JEFFERSON NORTH Assembly Plant STATUS:
PILOT/Production Build!!!!!

The Marlon Garage Contains The Following Methods of Engine Powered Transportation:
'10 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4x4 - BACK! With new TIRES and WHEELS!
- My posts are NOT a representation of the official views of Chrysler Group LLC or any of its affiliates -
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 841
Thanks: 8
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 127275
loveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_JB2 View Post
German? Hardly.

Built by Chrysler... using Chrysler programming.
There, I found the problem.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 58
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1434
Nhoc6131 is on a distinguished road
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

Cruising on the highway at 80 mph i was in 9th yesterday..
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 4.0L LJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 677
hudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhoc6131 View Post
Cruising on the highway at 80 mph i was in 9th yesterday..
That goes along with what I calculated. anything slower has the engine almost at idle in 9th.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 229188
SE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonhawk View Post
That goes along with what I calculated. anything slower has the engine almost at idle in 9th.
Consumer Reports agrees with you. It says, "The standard nine-speed boxes in both of our test cars shift roughly, and neither one ever engages its ninth gear in normal driving."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:35 PM
macfan's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fenton, Michigan USA
Posts: 385
Thanks: 73
Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 4907
macfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3.5 View Post
Consumer Reports agrees with you. It says, "The standard nine-speed boxes in both of our test cars shift roughly, and neither one ever engages its ninth gear in normal driving."
I hope you know better than to trust anything Consumer Reports says. I treat Consumer Reports as a comic book. I have had my Cherokee for almost a month now and the transmission gets smoother every day. No problems so far. Since both of my parents worked for Chrysler I usually buy Chrysler products. When was the last time you saw Consumer Reports give a Chrysler product a good review? Yet my experience with them over more than 45 years has been 95+% positive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Marlon_JB2's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2010 3.7L KK
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Jefferson North Assembly Plant
Posts: 2,516
Thanks: 49
Thanked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Rep Power: 86958
Marlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond reputeMarlon_JB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Marlon_JB2 Send a message via Yahoo to Marlon_JB2 Send a message via Skype™ to Marlon_JB2
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post
I hope you know better than to trust anything Consumer Reports says. I treat Consumer Reports as a comic book. I have had my Cherokee for almost a month now and the transmission gets smoother every day. No problems so far. Since both of my parents worked for Chrysler I usually buy Chrysler products. When was the last time you saw Consumer Reports give a Chrysler product a good review? Yet my experience with them over more than 45 years has been 95+% positive.
Same here. I don't get it.

I don't even know anyone in my family who has had a transmission failure. Yet everyone talks about how terrible that transmission was. (But I'm sorry, the 2.7L was garbage)

And no, there is no notification that any vehicle is an employee family order on the line...

Consumer Reports should be used as toilet paper.
__________________
JEFFERSON NORTH Assembly Plant STATUS:
PILOT/Production Build!!!!!

The Marlon Garage Contains The Following Methods of Engine Powered Transportation:
'10 Jeep Liberty Renegade 4x4 - BACK! With new TIRES and WHEELS!
- My posts are NOT a representation of the official views of Chrysler Group LLC or any of its affiliates -
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 229188
SE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post
I hope you know better than to trust anything Consumer Reports says. I treat Consumer Reports as a comic book. I have had my Cherokee for almost a month now and the transmission gets smoother every day. No problems so far. Since both of my parents worked for Chrysler I usually buy Chrysler products. When was the last time you saw Consumer Reports give a Chrysler product a good review? Yet my experience with them over more than 45 years has been 95+% positive.
Maybe you should take a drive in something else once in a while.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-09-2013, 05:26 PM
macfan's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fenton, Michigan USA
Posts: 385
Thanks: 73
Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 4907
macfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond reputemacfan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3.5 View Post
Maybe you should take a drive in something else once in a while.
Why would I do that when I have found the best vehicle manufacturer for me? You guys who are hoodwinked on the foreign garbage forget that even if it is assembled down south the profit still goes back to the mother country. I have lived in Michigan all of my life and know the USA has the absolute best auto workers in the world. Trust me if you are not into cars and putting them together there is no way you could do the work in one of those plants regardless of the pay. I give guys like Marlon a lot of credit and respect. You have to be strong both mentally and physically to do that kind of work day after day. When was the last time you were in a Chrysler plant? Before my dad passed away he installed a lot of the automation in both Trenton Engine and Chrysler Chemical. Funny thing was that when Chrysler hit bad times, closed, and sold off Chrysler Chemical, the Japanese bought it. They brought in a couple of large military style cargo planes and stripped that plant leaving it for our EPA to clean up before it leached into the Detroit River. My point is that if our manufacturing technology is so bad why would the Japanese go to the trouble and expense to strip it out of Chrysler Chemical and fly it back to Japan?

BTW, I ran into something by accident the other night. I live just a few miles from Auburn Hills, Chrysler headquarters. I pulled into the local Cony Island the other night and noticed 3 Cherokees parked in a row along with what appeared to be a customized Town and Country. You don't often see 3 Cherokees parked together just yet so it peeked my curiosity. I parked my new Cherokee in the back of the lot to avoid door dings and walked over to the 3 Cherokees and Town and Country to explore them. I guess I made their drivers nervous because in a few minutes a guy came out of the Cony Island inquiring what I was doing. I pointed to my Cherokee in the back of the lot and said I was just looking over the 3 Cherokees since I just bought one. That apparently satisfied him and we began to talk. He was with Jack Roush Enterprises/Engineering and Chrysler had hired them to take the 3 Cherokees and the Town and Country mule on a shake down cruise . Chrysler had been hearing of reports of problems from people like you yet couldn't duplicate them. So they hired Jack (cat in the hat) Roush of NASCAR fame to see what they could come up with. There were 2 Limiteds and one TrailHawk. One of the Limiteds was right hand European drive. The Roush team was evenly divided with 2 female and 2 male drivers so they were even looking to see if gender driving had anything to do with it. Bottom line Chrysler is not the company it used to be. It takes quality control very seriously now. Compare the quality in the Jeep Cherokee to the Ford Escape that was just recalled for the 7th time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 294
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 229188
SE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond reputeSE3.5 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 9 speed German Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan View Post
Why would I do that when I have found the best vehicle manufacturer for me? You guys who are hoodwinked on the foreign garbage forget that even if it is assembled down south the profit still goes back to the mother country. I have lived in Michigan all of my life and know the USA has the absolute best auto workers in the world. Trust me if you are not into cars and putting them together there is no way you could do the work in one of those plants regardless of the pay. I give guys like Marlon a lot of credit and respect. You have to be strong both mentally and physically to do that kind of work day after day. When was the last time you were in a Chrysler plant? Before my dad passed away he installed a lot of the automation in both Trenton Engine and Chrysler Chemical. Funny thing was that when Chrysler hit bad times, closed, and sold off Chrysler Chemical, the Japanese bought it. They brought in a couple of large military style cargo planes and stripped that plant leaving it for our EPA to clean up before it leached into the Detroit River. My point is that if our manufacturing technology is so bad why would the Japanese go to the trouble and expense to strip it out of Chrysler Chemical and fly it back to Japan?

BTW, I ran into something by accident the other night. I live just a few miles from Auburn Hills, Chrysler headquarters. I pulled into the local Cony Island the other night and noticed 3 Cherokees parked in a row along with what appeared to be a customized Town and Country. You don't often see 3 Cherokees parked together just yet so it peeked my curiosity. I parked my new Cherokee in the back of the lot to avoid door dings and walked over to the 3 Cherokees and Town and Country to explore them. I guess I made their drivers nervous because in a few minutes a guy came out of the Cony Island inquiring what I was doing. I pointed to my Cherokee in the back of the lot and said I was just looking over the 3 Cherokees since I just bought one. That apparently satisfied him and we began to talk. He was with Jack Roush Enterprises/Engineering and Chrysler had hired them to take the 3 Cherokees and the Town and Country mule on a shake down cruise . Chrysler had been hearing of reports of problems from people like you yet couldn't duplicate them. So they hired Jack (cat in the hat) Roush of NASCAR fame to see what they could come up with. There were 2 Limiteds and one TrailHawk. One of the Limiteds was right hand European drive. The Roush team was evenly divided with 2 female and 2 male drivers so they were even looking to see if gender driving had anything to do with it. Bottom line Chrysler is not the company it used to be. It takes quality control very seriously now. Compare the quality in the Jeep Cherokee to the Ford Escape that was just recalled for the 7th time.
Why would you do that? Maybe to have an informed opinion.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
8 speed transmission feedback? JRNYC Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 24 08-26-2013 02:23 PM
how to make the "6 speed" transmission in 2012 Hemi actually work as a 6 speed? mikoz Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 8 05-29-2013 07:04 PM
8-speed transmission Christophe Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 3 02-09-2013 06:28 PM
8-speed transmission Christophe Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 3 02-09-2013 09:02 AM
8-speed transmission ftffom Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 6 10-25-2010 11:24 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.