Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2014+ Cherokee-KL

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-26-2014, 01:55 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
kevin.graves35 is on a distinguished road
Snow Performance

I'm seriously considering purchasing a new Cherokee. I'd like to hear from you guys in regards to it's snow performance. Living in rural New England can mean getting around on untreated roads for a while. I'm considering the Trailhawk as I'd eventually like to hit the trails around here.

Any ideas on top speed in 4 Low? I'm thinking the AWD snow mode won't be able to handle deep snow. Would driving to work in 4 Low be possible?

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 262
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2680
NHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snow Performance

I live in NH so your neck of the woods. I have the regular ADI Cherokee w/ V6 and it is a beast/tank in the snow. No need for anything more. If you will do a lot of off roading then a ADII or Trailhawk would be better. IF this is mainly for on road driving in the winter ADI is all you will need.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ottawajeeper is on a distinguished road
I'm up here currently enjoying one of the worst winters in ottawa since the 80's. I have a trailhawk and have left it in auto mode all winter and have yet to have anything close to a problem in deep snow, or on ice or on construction sites. Its a beast and you will have great peace of mind knowing that it will get you through anything you throw at it
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 AM
ChadRizor's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 49
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 494
ChadRizor is on a distinguished road
I too am very impressed with the capabilities on ice & snow. I've purposely tried to make the jeep loose grip on ice (drifting it on an empty parking lot), and found it rather difficult. I turned the traction control off and a few minutes, I managed to slide around 🙈🙉🙊 ( don't tell the wife, lol) Also I might add that the breaking system is very comparable to high end SUV's on the market today.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2007
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Indiana
Posts: 14
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 420
Waldo23 is on a distinguished road
Re: Snow Performance

Live in NW Indiana. Had some decent snow storms and major ice on the roads since I picked up my Cherokee Trailhawk at the end of February. I left it in auto and moved it to snow to see if I noticed any difference. It has handled great on the ice and in the snow in both settings. Had to drive through mounds of snow piled up at the end of my street because I swear it is the last street to be plowed in my town with no problems. Everyone else was complaining about the poor road conditions and how slippery the roads were but I had absolutely no problems in my TH. Couldn't tell the difference between driving on the ice and snow packed roads and the dry roads.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2015, 04:25 PM
Mich2014GCO's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11
Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 197
Mich2014GCO is on a distinguished road
Re: Snow Performance

Though I have a WK2 and not a cherokee I think the 4WD systems are nearly the same, at least the one I have....

Here's my two cents worth:
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel with QuadraDrive2. It's also worth noting I found used 18 inch rims on Craigs list and mounted Goodyear Duratrac's on them.

I have found Snow Mode to be fantastic for control on snow covered roads, NOT in deep snow however unless traction control is turned off. As indicated by Jeep wheel slip is minimized and in SNOW mode this seems to be at all costs, I.e. the vehicle will essentially shut down and not move if slip is detected. That's no problem and awesome once the vehicle's at speed from a control standpoint, it's great. However not so good from a standstill and you need to accelerate from a dead stop, no problem as long as you understand this.

I found a section in a state park here in Michigan what might be the worst snow conditions I've ever driven in. The snow was nearly 2 feet deep with the lowest 6 inches crusted ice. SNOW mode did not work without turning traction control off. I also believe SAND mode worked best for me to gain and maintain forward momentum. All this said the vehicle performed extremely well, I had not removed the front section of my bumper so I was pushing snow and I got through it. I do not believe though this would have been the case without my winter tire setup.

I guess my last comment is the rear ELSD is the closest thing to a manual posi or locker you can find. It engages immediately and at least in the rear is superior to the previous hydrolic approach. Yes, it would be sweet if they would have included a front locker too but they chose not to. Given I have the diesel, using the brakes to transfer torque accross the axle isn't much of a concern but... no doubt to me ideally a front ELSD would be better... (if managed properly).

To me this is all good news, my GC is phenomenal in conditions I see in Northern Michigan and the UP all the time.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 50
Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 279
GCWIMMER is on a distinguished road
Re: Snow Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich2014GCO View Post
Though I have a WK2 and not a cherokee I think the 4WD systems are nearly the same, at least the one I have....

Here's my two cents worth:
I have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel with QuadraDrive2. It's also worth noting I found used 18 inch rims on Craigs list and mounted Goodyear Duratrac's on them.

I have found Snow Mode to be fantastic for control on snow covered roads, NOT in deep snow however unless traction control is turned off. As indicated by Jeep wheel slip is minimized and in SNOW mode this seems to be at all costs, I.e. the vehicle will essentially shut down and not move if slip is detected. That's no problem and awesome once the vehicle's at speed from a control standpoint, it's great. However not so good from a standstill and you need to accelerate from a dead stop, no problem as long as you understand this.

I found a section in a state park here in Michigan what might be the worst snow conditions I've ever driven in. The snow was nearly 2 feet deep with the lowest 6 inches crusted ice. SNOW mode did not work without turning traction control off. I also believe SAND mode worked best for me to gain and maintain forward momentum. All this said the vehicle performed extremely well, I had not removed the front section of my bumper so I was pushing snow and I got through it. I do not believe though this would have been the case without my winter tire setup.

I guess my last comment is the rear ELSD is the closest thing to a manual posi or locker you can find. It engages immediately and at least in the rear is superior to the previous hydrolic approach. Yes, it would be sweet if they would have included a front locker too but they chose not to. Given I have the diesel, using the brakes to transfer torque accross the axle isn't much of a concern but... no doubt to me ideally a front ELSD would be better... (if managed properly).

To me this is all good news, my GC is phenomenal in conditions I see in Northern Michigan and the UP all the time.
The KL Cherokee Snow mode is different, 60/40 power split and starts in 2nd gear.
__________________
2014 Bright White Limited 4X4 3.2 V6 - Active Drive II - Black/Iceland Gray Premium Leather Interior - Build date 05/20/14 - Luxury Group - Technology Group - Trailer Tow Group - Panoramic Sunroof - Shark Fin antenna - Splash Guards - LED interior lights - Hyper Yellow fog lights -Bully Utility Hitch Step
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Mich2014GCO's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11
Thanks: 10
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 197
Mich2014GCO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWIMMER View Post
The KL Cherokee Snow mode is different, 60/40 power split and starts in 2nd gear.
2nd gear start is the same too. Not sure about torque split but I'm guessing the same.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 PM
mults's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 524
mults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond reputemults has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snow Performance

We've had almost three feet of snow in the past two weeks, and the TH has handled all the snow with flying colors. It is the best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow and you almost can't tell that there is snow on the ground.
__________________
mults
Ordered: 2/1/14 / Delivered:3/16/14/
Trail Hawk / 3.2 Engine / Tow Package / Cherry Red / Brown Leather / Hood Decal / Cold Weather / 8.4AN / 9 Speaker / CD Player / Black Wheels / Comfort Package
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2015, 09:27 AM
Tibault's Avatar
Capulet Family Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 145
Thanks: 12
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 371
Tibault is on a distinguished road
Re: Snow Performance

I've had two Jeeps in my lifetime, a 1996 Grand Cherokee and my 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk. I got to try out the snow performance this winter, and here in Chicago we can get some snow pretty quick. The performance is top notch - I didn't have any issues getting around even in the unplowed side streets. It felt better to me than the GC I've had, but then again that was a '96.
__________________
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk - Eco Green
V6, C/C, Cold Weather, Nav, Leather.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seacoast New Hampshire
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 48652
ragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond reputeragoodsp has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Snow Performance

We are looking at close to 50"s of snow here in seacoast NH in the last three weeks and I must say my TH has been superb! I would not say it is any better or worse in comparison to my other 7 Jeep products, they get the job done period. I do have Bridgestone DM-V1 snow tires all around and that makes a huge difference. I must say I am a Michelin guy but find the DM-V's a better all around tire in snow compared to the Michelin's that I have on my wife's GC. I would get the TH for sure that comes with AD II. Best of luck, Cherokee is a super vehicle.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-11-2015, 01:42 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 9
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 69
Robottrainer is on a distinguished road
Re: Snow Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.graves35 View Post
I'm seriously considering purchasing a new Cherokee. I'd like to hear from you guys in regards to it's snow performance. Living in rural New England can mean getting around on untreated roads for a while. I'm considering the Trailhawk as I'd eventually like to hit the trails around here.

Any ideas on top speed in 4 Low? I'm thinking the AWD snow mode won't be able to handle deep snow. Would driving to work in 4 Low be possible?

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
I have a 2015 3.2 literTrailhawk with Blizzaks on all four corners. Lest week we had 2 feet of snow on our roadway. I worked from home but the wife had to go in since she's an essential service. I had my doubts. I started in snow mode, backed into the road and move to the stop sign. It went through it but I had to lean on it a bit. At the stop sign, I switched it to 4WD low. Man that thing plowed through the snow like it wasn't there. Never saw more than 1500rpm . The neighbours were wide eyed and slack jawed.. Even more so when I came back and did it again.

By some coincidence, the them from Rocky came on the radio when I was leaving. I was laughing my butt off!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
snow waswas Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 17 11-08-2012 07:48 PM
Snow performance? LOL...check this Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT8 - WK 7 02-17-2012 11:05 AM
Unsure about snow performance Blackwolf Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 203 12-29-2011 01:08 PM
Snow and wet weather performance VerbalKint Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 27 08-07-2011 08:15 AM
CAI Intake Performance and Performance Chip White Chocolate Performance Modifications 25 02-14-2011 09:12 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.