Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2014+ Cherokee-KL

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-15-2013, 03:57 AM
Herb4372's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 512
Herb4372 is on a distinguished road
Trailhawk tires

The data card in the door jam recommends a tire PSI of 35. The tires themselves recommend - maximum of 45. When I took delivery the tires were at 41/42.

I'm still unsure which is best. The EVIC shows no messages. Just displays the temp.

anyone have an idea of best tire pressure or when the EVIC will give you a low pressure warning. Does the EVIC give a high pressure warning?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 4.0L LJ
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Carrollton, TX
Posts: 169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 615
hudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond reputehudsonhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk tires

Are you sure it is 35? I thought it was 33 PSI. Running at 33 has no negative impact on mileage or handling. It also gives a much smoother ride than the 41 that mine was set to when I received it.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-15-2013, 07:47 AM
Jeepster910's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West central illinois
Posts: 134
Thanks: 22
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 418
Jeepster910 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Trailhawk tires

The door data card PSI is the manufacturer recommended normal running pressure for everyday use that will generate ride and mpg.
The Max pressure (cold I believe it is marked) is the max safety limit the tire can be operated at.
I will have to see how the tire pressure monitor system works when I get my Cherokee. I was under the impression it is a low warning system?
There are factors where you may have to alter the pressure.
For myself: If I am carrying a heavy load for any other than a short distance I will boost the pressure 3 to 5 depending on the tire rating.
When I am towing my boat any distance I do the same.
In general it will generate less heat on the tire thus make it less likely to fail. I do not like to inflate close to the Max.
Also if in sand/mud etc. I have heard that deflation works?

Just keep it at the data card and you will be fine.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-15-2013, 11:01 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1438
AlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond reputeAlexTheSquid has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk tires

Honestly I think the data card might be wrong, as I tried deflating a tire down to 33psi and got a low pressure warning. I will inflate it to the tire's recommendation, since the Trailhawk tires are more rugged than the standard tires they'd put on - and I am thinking that data card is for ALL Cherokees.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Jeepster910's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West central illinois
Posts: 134
Thanks: 22
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 418
Jeepster910 is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailhawk tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTheSquid View Post
Honestly I think the data card might be wrong, as I tried deflating a tire down to 33psi and got a low pressure warning. I will inflate it to the tire's recommendation, since the Trailhawk tires are more rugged than the standard tires they'd put on - and I am thinking that data card is for ALL Cherokees.
I'd set them back to 41 and let the dealer deal with it.
A phone call to the service dept. may solve it also.
I'd be careful about setting the max as marked on the tire.
If anything it will give you a more bumpy/bouncy ride.
I'm sure there is just a setting that just has to be changed on the onboard computer.
Good luck
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-16-2013, 06:49 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2474
NHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb4372 View Post
The data card in the door jam recommends a tire PSI of 35. The tires themselves recommend - maximum of 45. When I took delivery the tires were at 41/42.

I'm still unsure which is best. The EVIC shows no messages. Just displays the temp.

anyone have an idea of best tire pressure or when the EVIC will give you a low pressure warning. Does the EVIC give a high pressure warning?
The door tag is what the car mfg wants the tire PSI set at when they are cold( like after sitting all night and you check before driving in the AM ). The sidewall rating on the tire is the maximum pressure it can handle period( it is not a cold rating ). You do not want the PSI to exceed that max sidewall rating ever.

When you drive the tires heat up and the air inside expands which raises the PSI. So if you set the cold PSI @35 it is not uncommon to see a 40 PSI +/- when the tires are up to normal operating/driving temp. I set my tires to about 35 cold during the summer months and they get up that 40 range I look for when warmed up after driving a while. I bump the cold PSI a little in the winter because they don't get as warm and the PSI doesn't increase as much. I like my normal operating PSI to be around 38-40 for best tire wear and MPG( my tires have a max 44 PSI too ). IF it is a really hot summer I back off the cold PSI if I am doing any extended driving however. The increased air temps and road temps can really cause the pressure to rise.

So, was that 41 PSI when you checked them 1st thing in the morning or was it after you had driven for a while? If it is 1st thing and the tires are cold it is way too high. You will go past the 44 max rating when they are warmed up. reduce the tires to the door tag PSI of 35. IF the 41 was after you had been driving for a while that sounds about right to me.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Herb4372's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 110
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 512
Herb4372 is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailhawk tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
The door tag is what the car mfg wants the tire PSI set at when they are cold( like after sitting all night and you check before driving in the AM ). The sidewall rating on the tire is the maximum pressure it can handle period( it is not a cold rating ). You do not want the PSI to exceed that max sidewall rating ever.

When you drive the tires heat up and the air inside expands which raises the PSI. So if you set the cold PSI @35 it is not uncommon to see a 40 PSI +/- when the tires are up to normal operating/driving temp. I set my tires to about 35 cold during the summer months and they get up that 40 range I look for when warmed up after driving a while. I bump the cold PSI a little in the winter because they don't get as warm and the PSI doesn't increase as much. I like my normal operating PSI to be around 38-40 for best tire wear and MPG( my tires have a max 44 PSI too ). IF it is a really hot summer I back off the cold PSI if I am doing any extended driving however. The increased air temps and road temps can really cause the pressure to rise.

So, was that 41 PSI when you checked them 1st thing in the morning or was it after you had driven for a while? If it is 1st thing and the tires are cold it is way too high. You will go past the 44 max rating when they are warmed up. reduce the tires to the door tag PSI of 35. IF the 41 was after you had been driving for a while that sounds about right to me.
That's as cold. They stay pretty consistent around the same pressure, even after a few hours on the highway.. +/- 2 psi..

I deflated the tires to 36 and will give it a day to see how that settles out.. So far so good.

Thanks for the responses.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1211
hammick is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailhawk tires

If you want to be totally anal about tire pressure they should be set to the correct pressures when the tires are at 68 degrees (at least according to BMW motorcycle division). I don't know if the Chrerokee displays actual tire pressures or calculated pressures taking into account the temperature of the tires. Check you pressure in the garage after the vehicle has sat for a few hours or if you don't have a garage in the shade.

TireRack has more than you will ever want to read on this subject:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=73

If the Jeep TPM system compensates for tire temperature set the tires until you get the correct pressure in the readout and forget about it.

If the Jeep TPM system does not compensate for the tire temperature set the pressures 1psi higher for each 10 degrees below 68 degees and 1psi lower for each 10 degrees above 68 degrees. Best way to determine the temperature is to put an accurate thermometer in you garage.

I am not really anal about my car tire pressures and just go by the TPM system. On my motorcycles I am pretty anal about the pressures.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 833
Thanks: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 127148
loveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHPATRIOT View Post
The door tag is what the car mfg wants the tire PSI set at when they are cold( like after sitting all night and you check before driving in the AM ). The sidewall rating on the tire is the maximum pressure it can handle period( it is not a cold rating ). You do not want the PSI to exceed that max sidewall rating ever.

When you drive the tires heat up and the air inside expands which raises the PSI. So if you set the cold PSI @35 it is not uncommon to see a 40 PSI +/- when the tires are up to normal operating/driving temp. I set my tires to about 35 cold during the summer months and they get up that 40 range I look for when warmed up after driving a while. I bump the cold PSI a little in the winter because they don't get as warm and the PSI doesn't increase as much. I like my normal operating PSI to be around 38-40 for best tire wear and MPG( my tires have a max 44 PSI too ). IF it is a really hot summer I back off the cold PSI if I am doing any extended driving however. The increased air temps and road temps can really cause the pressure to rise.

So, was that 41 PSI when you checked them 1st thing in the morning or was it after you had driven for a while? If it is 1st thing and the tires are cold it is way too high. You will go past the 44 max rating when they are warmed up. reduce the tires to the door tag PSI of 35. IF the 41 was after you had been driving for a while that sounds about right to me.
I will disagree with you on the max pressure not being a cold rating.
That is the pressure that is required to carry the maximum load that the tire is rated for. If it was just a max pressure you would have to have some sort of bleeder to bleed off excess pressure that heat creates because you wouldnt know what to set the pressure at when they were cold, you won't know exactly how much pressure you will gain.
" This number gives the maximum cold pressure required to carry the maximum load for which the tire is rated. The maximum pressure number is*not*the same as the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-20-2013, 12:03 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
LeeInTexas is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailhawk tires

Consumer Reports says go buy the recommended tire pressure that's listed inside your door jamb. So, as an example, if tire says 45 max psi but door jamb says 35 max psi... go with the 35.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 833
Thanks: 5
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Rep Power: 127148
loveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond reputeloveracing1988 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeInTexas View Post
Consumer Reports says go buy the recommended tire pressure that's listed inside your door jamb. So, as an example, if tire says 45 max psi but door jamb says 35 max psi... go with the 35.
That is correct. Unless you have a Ford Explorer with Firestone tires, in which case overinflate just a tad.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-27-2013, 02:51 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 248
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 2474
NHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond reputeNHPATRIOT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveracing1988 View Post
I will disagree with you on the max pressure not being a cold rating.
That is the pressure that is required to carry the maximum load that the tire is rated for. If it was just a max pressure you would have to have some sort of bleeder to bleed off excess pressure that heat creates because you wouldnt know what to set the pressure at when they were cold, you won't know exactly how much pressure you will gain.
" This number gives the maximum cold pressure required to carry the maximum load for which the tire is rated. The maximum pressure number is*not*the same as the recommended tire pressure for your vehicle."
The PSI listed on the side of the tire is the maximum PSI it is rated for period. It is at temp as well and is not a cold PSI rating. You should never exceed that PSI rating on the side of the tire. This info is available anywhere.

There is no need for a bleeder. If you just set your tire PSI to the car mfg's PSI rating on the door jamb you will not exceed the tire's maximum safe PSI rating that is on the sidewall( assuming stock sizes here ). You can also get a feel for how high the PSI goes by checking it cold and then warm to see how much it increased. You can then play with the cold PSI to get maximum carrying and MPG while not exceeding the safe PSI limit for the tire.

Example. My tires carry a 44 Max PSI rating. My door jamb says set the tires to 32 PSI as I recall( may even be 30 ). It is too low however whatever it is. If I set them to 35 PSI in the summer and 37 in the winter I run at 40-41 PSI at full operating temp. This gives a better ride, helps me out towing, helps with MPG, and I do not exceed that 44 max rating.

Again, never set your tire PSI - COLD - to that max rating on the sidewall. Not even to max out your towing/hauling capacity. You shouldn't even run them at the max rating at full temp. Always a PSI or 2 under.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cherokee Trailhawk :: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Texas Trailhawk Member Garage Discussions 0 11-29-2013 11:34 PM
Has anybody put SRT wheels/tires on an Overland? Do tires stick out at all? Thx elp_jc Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 42 10-10-2013 11:03 AM
Trailhawk :: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V6 Mikericci Member Garage Discussions 0 09-24-2013 03:27 PM
Trailhawk :: 2013 Jeep Trailhawk Kiernan Member Garage Discussions 1 05-31-2013 07:50 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community