Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > 2014+ Cherokee-KL

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 06-09-2014, 10:50 AM
Desert Hiker's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 173
Thanks: 2
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1381
Desert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond repute
Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

My Cherokee Trailhawk has the ADII transmisison. The shifting is OK but not excellent. There are TSBs addressing this including an evaluation process and then a reset of the Adaptation Memory Cells for relearning. The reset includes using the dealer's wiTICH kit + laptop, along with a detailed post-reset driving procedure. Others here have reported an improvement from reset after tranny/engine breakin.

Somewhere there was an "alternative" DIY procedure which involved pulling the TCM fuse (30 minutes +) followed by some other steps. Where can I find detailed steps for this DIY alternative? I may want to try it rather than the dealer's full reset program.

TIA

Desert Hiker
__________________

__________________
Cherokee Trailhawk - 2014 :thumbsup:
> Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl (aka RED)
> 3.2L V6 24V VVT engine
> UConnect 8.4AN
> Comfort/Convenience Group
> Technology Group

Previous Outdoor Adventure Support Vehicles :wavey:
Liberty Sport 4x4, 2002
Wrangler Sahara, 1990
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-09-2014, 10:59 AM
SnoFire's Avatar
The Negotiator
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,909
Thanks: 55
Thanked 139 Times in 117 Posts
Rep Power: 390172
SnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond reputeSnoFire has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

Try the transmission sub-section of the WK2 forums or just do a search. The thread you are looking for is over 7pages in size and has 2 different things you can try (disconnect the battery for 30 minutes then drive for 5minutes).

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/if-you...-up-62737.html
__________________

__________________
2014 GC Limited V6 LuxII/Tow/RA4 Max Steel/Blk Michelin LTX M/S2

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Jeepster910's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West central illinois
Posts: 163
Thanks: 22
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 571
Jeepster910 is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hiker View Post
My Cherokee Trailhawk has the ADII transmisison. The shifting is OK but not excellent. There are TSBs addressing this including an evaluation process and then a reset of the Adaptation Memory Cells for relearning. The reset includes using the dealer's wiTICH kit + laptop, along with a detailed post-reset driving procedure. Others here have reported an improvement from reset after tranny/engine breakin.

Somewhere there was an "alternative" DIY procedure which involved pulling the TCM fuse (30 minutes +) followed by some other steps. Where can I find detailed steps for this DIY alternative? I may want to try it rather than the dealer's full reset program.

TIA

Desert Hiker
Do not do this DIY procedure!
#1. By disconnecting your battery you may actually erase/reset any error codes that are stored. The dealer needs them.
When you go in to the dealer he will scan your vehicle. It will tell him if updates are available for your vehicle. Some of these updates are triggered by codes set off by your vehicle.
The dealer can not do these updates unless he gets a positive scan or in your case your shifting is outside their judgement of normal.
#2. Depending on your mileage your vehicle may have more learning to do. It all depends on the type of driving you do.
Short low mileage drives are horrible for AL. It does not allow the system to learn and save the data.
A lot of stop and go and mix driving works best.
All the TSB does is help the AL process along. If it is all screwed up they also need to erase the memory and manually reset the the AL (2nd TSB) with the laptop drive. If your software is at a certain level all they need to do is a 20 minute flash update. It will help considerably any issues you are having.

#3. You have a warranty on this vehicle! I would recommend that you visit the dealer and talk about your concerns. He is in the best position to take care of you, not the forum. Playing with the battery can cause more issues with the electronics if not correct.
Good Luck
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-10-2014, 05:37 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 52
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 570
Redline R/T is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

I asked the dealer to do the latest flash on May 28th when we bought ours. The service manager and a tech went ahead and did it with 11 miles on mine, it had no codes. They went out and did the learn and so far with 900 miles it is shifting great and the average mileage is 26.5 down from 27.5 after a bunch of in town driving and checking the gas pedal to floor clearance over the weekend.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 AM
Jeepster910's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West central illinois
Posts: 163
Thanks: 22
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 571
Jeepster910 is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline R/T View Post
I asked the dealer to do the latest flash on May 28th when we bought ours. The service manager and a tech went ahead and did it with 11 miles on mine, it had no codes. They went out and did the learn and so far with 900 miles it is shifting great and the average mileage is 26.5 down from 27.5 after a bunch of in town driving and checking the gas pedal to floor clearance over the weekend.
You have a good dealer!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Desert Hiker's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 173
Thanks: 2
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1381
Desert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond reputeDesert Hiker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

Jeepster,

Thanks for your detailed reply and valid cautions. The procedure I was remembering was removing the TCM fuse, not disconnecting the battery. So far, the elusive thread has not surfaced in several search attempts but will keep trying. If it seems dicey, then the dealer may be the best option.

Desert Hiker
__________________
Cherokee Trailhawk - 2014 :thumbsup:
> Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl (aka RED)
> 3.2L V6 24V VVT engine
> UConnect 8.4AN
> Comfort/Convenience Group
> Technology Group

Previous Outdoor Adventure Support Vehicles :wavey:
Liberty Sport 4x4, 2002
Wrangler Sahara, 1990
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Jeepster910's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: West central illinois
Posts: 163
Thanks: 22
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 571
Jeepster910 is on a distinguished road
Re: Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Hiker View Post
Jeepster,

Thanks for your detailed reply and valid cautions. The procedure I was remembering was removing the TCM fuse, not disconnecting the battery. So far, the elusive thread has not surfaced in several search attempts but will keep trying. If it seems dicey, then the dealer may be the best option.

Desert Hiker
I kind of remember the that thread also but the details escape me.
Good Luck
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: greasy cardboard box
Posts: 156
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1984
fnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond reputefnkychkn has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Transmission Adaptive Learn Procedure

AFAIK, transmission adaptives are stored in non-volatile memory, so powering down the TCM should have no effect.
steady cruise on smooth, flat road in 6th and then in 7th gear is the most effective way to expedite adaptation learn procedure.
__________________

__________________
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shift procedure 4WD HI WK2007 Technical Tips/DIY/How-To 3 10-05-2012 08:54 PM
New Vehicle Prep Procedure Milous Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 15 10-24-2011 11:19 AM
Proper reset procedure for PCM? oldgeezer Troubleshooting/Problems 3 10-08-2011 11:58 PM
Procedure when towing? rein Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 22 06-16-2011 04:28 PM
What is your opinion on MotoMan's Break In Procedure? JEEF Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 18 02-01-2011 03:52 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.